Ok my nutritionist made me do this..lol

Options
Hello all:

I am about to hit the big 4-0 in a few weeks. I am a Type I diabetic (for 15 years now) and I am looking to lose weight as well as get my Ha1C under control. I am currently at 205 and have a goal weight of 130. I work full time; go to graduate school full time, and write fiction part time. I am finding it hard to squeeze exercise into my life. I eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but do eat fish and dairy. Any help anyone can impart, I greatly appreciate it...

Elizabeth

Replies

• jroja021
    jroja021 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im new to the community but I wanted to say welcome.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Is your nutritionist also providing a meal plan that will assist you in your goals? I have a sports nutritionist that plans my meals on a weekly planner that seems to work very well for me. Losing about 3lbs a week.

Good luck and welcome!!
  • jillybean9881
    jillybean9881 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hello all:

I am about to hit the big 4-0 in a few weeks. I am a Type I diabetic (for 15 years now) and I am looking to lose weight as well as get my Ha1C under control. I am currently at 205 and have a goal weight of 130. I work full time; go to graduate school full time, and write fiction part time. I am finding it hard to squeeze exercise into my life. I eat a mostly vegetarian diet, but do eat fish and dairy. Any help anyone can impart, I greatly appreciate it...

Elizabeth

If you have a nutritionist then your diet is under control? Exercise... you really just have to find the time for it somehow. Maybe it's waking up an hour earlier or staying up a little later but somewhere there is time for exercise you just have to want to find it. A lot of people on these boards exercise at odd times. Me for instance, my butt is up at 3:30am. LOL
  • nomena
    nomena Posts: 165
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me!
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I 'm working I walk during my breaks. I am lucky, I get 2 15 minute breaks during the day. Try to fit it in anywhere you can. Every little bit helps.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Welcome. If you really have no time to exercise park as far away in the parking lot from your intended destination. At least the will get some extra steps in your life. Good luck.
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

As for fitting in exercise, is there time before work? I wake up at 5am and even though I was running in the dark this morning, it was the only time I had so it worked for me. My sister works full time, is in grad school and has two children and she finds it best to work out after dinner and the kids have had a bath. On class days, she works out once she gets home at night. Is this an option for you?

Good luck on your new journey! Listen to your nutritionist and don't give up... you can do this!

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • happypath101
    Options
    You sound about as busy as I am - maybe more! I work (more than) full time. I'm a single Mom. I am the president of a Board of Directors and do a lot of volunteer work. I'm dating a wonderful man; he's supportive, but it's not as if he'll come to yoga class with me. I find it difficult to get my exercise as well. On those crazy days, what works the best for me is to put on my Shape-ups and go for a brisk walk - even if it's only 20 minutes. Sometimes I do it as an incentive. For example, finish that document, and go for a walk around the block and then you can have that long, hot bath.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi! So my life isn't quite as busy as yours, but I'm vegetarian, a full time grad student (finishing up soon :) ) ...and oddly enough a fiction writer wanna-be. Feel free to add me.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I also work full time, have two kids, and go to school part time. The only thing that has worked for me (this time) is to make my weight loss a priority, and to know that this is not a diet but a life change. No magical solution, I've already tried them all. If I'm tired, upset, or busy I don't use it as an excuse, I exercise anyway. I am always happy I made the time. MFP has really helped too! It helps to make yourself accountable for the things you eat. I've lost almost 40 pounds since January 2012. Feel free to friend me! The more encouragement you have, the easier it is!

I wish you the best!! :flowerforyou:
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That is really hard. I go to law school part time and I only have a part time internship now but for a while I had a full time job and went to school part time at night. I am NOT a morning person so waking up at 5am was never a choice for me. I had to wake up at 6am as it was and didn't get home until 11pm at night. I totally feel you. I think the best you can do is probably just work out on the weekends in order to keep your sanity. During the week be extra good with your calories. Also, do little things like park farther away or take the stairs instead of the elevator. ANYTHING you can do will help!
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP world, glad you found us! This is a great site with loads of support, and you can probably find lots of other folks who have similar situations and goals as you!

My advice for beginners on logging their foods: 1. Use measuring cups, measuring spoons, and a food scale. It's so easy to under/overestimate portions. 2. Log the exact brand of what you eat, and check the label to make sure it matches with the MFP entry because alot of them are wrong! 3. Use the recipe calculator if you're cooking your own meals.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!!
  • smilewithkatherine
    smilewithkatherine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Welcome feel free to add me too :)
  • ewentzel
    ewentzel Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I think my greatest challenge exercise wise is when I HAVE time, it is not a good time for me to exercise due to my diabetes. When I exercise, my blood sugar spikes so exercising right before I go to sleep is not save. I get up at 5:30am and leave for work by 6:15am since I live an hour away. I work as a trainer so I am on my feet all day and walk as much a I can, but I miss running and weight lifting. I know that I may just have to get up earlier, but what little sleep I get I value...completely (I average only about 4 hours a night as it is......) thank you for all of your advice everyone....I will keep you all updated
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It's easy. You make time. You might have to make trade offs and decide what is more important, this or that?

When I first started, I was scheduling it into my day. it would actually be an entry on my calendar. Now, it's just part of my life. I just do it. There's no question. And, I make sacrifices for it. But, it's very important, especailly as I get older.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    If you're dedicated, there's always time. I work full time, go to grad school part time, and have a kid.

4:00 am - 4:45 am = workout
    4:45 am - 7:00 am = shower, eat, kid up, kid to school
    7:00-8:00 am = commute
    8:00 am - 4:00 pm = work
    4:00 pm - 5:00 pm = commute
    5:00 pm - 9:00 pm = school, dinner, dishes, give my son a bath
    9:00 pm - 4:00 am = sleep
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I don't work full time, but I'm in graduate school full time, and that can be like 2 full time jobs some days! LOL!

My BF is a type 1 diabetic. He has been struggling with his weight lately too. A few things he does to help himself is eat high protein and high fiber, takes cinnamon and chromium piccolinate (for better insulin usage), and exercise is a must. Your body just uses the insulin better if you get exercise! He's also hypothyroid, so he's got a double whammy there. It's impossible to get blood sugar under control if you don't have your thyroid under control, so watch for that, just in case. He was diagnosed as a diabetic about 5 or 6 years ago, but only last year did he learn he was a type 1. When the thyroid went is when he learned this.

I found I MUST make time to exercise in my crazy schedule. As I said, I'm a graduate student, working on my PhD in Chemistry, I'm also a small business owner (making jewelry, selling at festivals), and live a fairly active social life! If I don't exercise, I don't function properly, and none of it gets done! Carve out half an hour a few days a week to start. You'll be thanking yourself in no time!

Good luck to you!
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty busy life also, but I found time to exercise during my LONG conferrance calls! i bought a step stool, keep it under my desk and while I am listening I am stepping! I also started parking at the back of the parking lots, work, grocery store, school functions (for the kids) etc. Those added steps have helped a lot and if you think those don't add up to much wear a pedometer every day it will add it up for you! Welcome to MFP and good luck!!!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!

The biggest advice I can give you is to stay POSITIVE. ALWAYS believe you can do it. NEVER give up or get discouraged. It is the moment that you decide to stop trying that you will not succeed. As long as you keep trying you are guaranteed to succeed! It's as simple as that. :)

Just remember: Whatever you can do, great! Do that! Whatever you can't do, give it time and DO NOT beat yourself up about it. Like everybody's been saying - Every little bit counts.

Easy ways to get started include:
    No sugary drinks! lol
    Looking at the ingredients lists of the things you eat regularly, and maybe switch brands to things that have less processed ingredients, more organic ingredients, no high fructose corn syrup, less sodium, etc. etc. etc. Upon making those changes, staying within your assigned calories per day just gets easier and easier.
    Blog your butt off! I find blogging about my experiences really helps me to think about the causes and effects of my decisions and my reactions to the world around me. Stress eating, for example, feeling motivated, etc.
    Don't expect tons of results right away! Be patient and consider your psychological progress as success. When you change your mindset to something more positive and healthy - THAT is progress. And it is something that will keep you going throughout this journey. That is MUCH more important progress than losing a pound.

Okay I'm blabbing but I feel like I've learned and grown so much here on MFP, and I just want to share what I've learned. :P

Feel free to add me! Good luck!!! ^_^

<3 - Mary