Effort pays...

Options
jeb620
jeb620 Posts: 4 Member
Hello,
My name is Shane, I am 37 yrs. old and I am from Idaho. I have always been a pretty good size boy that carried my weigh rather well---regardless, I was still carrying it, and allowing the weight to affect my self-worth/esteem.
I reached and maintained a weight of 366 lbs, I had hit a point in my life that I had to choose between Life or Death (sparing you the details) I decided to do something different.
Since September 2011, I have lost over Seventy pounds. I have had people ask…"How are you losing weight, what are you doing?" The answer comes down to this…I HAD TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR ME, there isn't a magic antidote but what I found to work for me is, setting an ultimate goal, then setting the stepping stone goals to get there- plus full commitment to daily effort has been of my plan!!!
I had to mentally prepare (I had to get my head around all the excuses to not lose weight). By doing that, it made everything else a lot more manageable-not easy but manageable.
Watching what I put in my mouth, (counting calories- a great tool for this is this awesome web site, I only started using this site about two and half months ago- and have lost 25lbs since then).
Strength training has also played a big part-when your lifting weights, your body will automatically burn 15% more calories. This was something I didn't know.
Cardio is probably my main focus due to being able to track burnt calories-once again "myfitnesspal.com" has really assisted me-THANK YOU!

I look forward to marching through the everyday battles to finding more success in weight loss! Hopefully I can learn something from some of you too!!

Replies

• lynette111
    lynette111 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Great job Shane! One quote I love that you have seemed to embrace is "Make up your mind to succeed and never give up! Keep on keeping on.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far. 70 pounds is a great loss in that amount of time. Keep up the good work!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Shane, i probably have a similar body type as you. I am an easy gainer, I can put muscle on fast as well as weight. I found that body builder type strength training ( heavy weight that is controllable and high reps) works for me as well as calorie counting. When I don't calorie count I probably consume 3000-4000 calories daily. Hang in there big guy, you are not alone
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!