Coffee Help

Options
I am hoping to find some replacement/modification suggestions to my morning coffee.

I drink 2 cups a day and add 2-3 tablespoons of flavored creamer to each cup. The calories and junk in the creamer is so bad yet that is what I crave. I have tried almond milk and it didn't cut it and I am not ready to give up coffee just yet (already I have cut back to 2 cups - down from 4-5 previously).

Any suggestions on something with less calories to add to my coffee? Or, anyone have a great flavored caffeinated tea they can suggest?

Replies

• watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    What I found helped was trying different kinds of coffee. I always thought I was a dark roast person, until I took away the cup of milk and 2-3 tsp of sugar in it. Turns out the lighter the roast, the less I need to add to it and now I get by with 1 oz of milk (15 calories) and a packet of Splenda.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I used to be a flavored creamer junky too.. and then I just gave it up for milk.. now it's just skim milk. I loooove my coffee, and I don't miss the creamers now.. now they are just too sweet for me.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I use the unflavored nestle or coffee mate creamer. It has 10 cals per teaspoon. I drink about 32oz of coffee in the morning and use 9 tsp's. This much better than when i was using 1/2 and 1/2!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to find some replacement/modification suggestions to my morning coffee.

I drink 2 cups a day and add 2-3 tablespoons of flavored creamer to each cup. The calories and junk in the creamer is so bad yet that is what I crave. I have tried almond milk and it didn't cut it and I am not ready to give up coffee just yet (already I have cut back to 2 cups - down from 4-5 previously).

Any suggestions on something with less calories to add to my coffee? Or, anyone have a great flavored caffeinated tea they can suggest?

If it is a must you have to have coffee try doing a smoothie type coffee flavor. There are many recipes out there you can find good coffees grinding your own are a good source just like making your types of creamers otherwise there are many sugar free types that are just as good. My suggestion is to find you a low cal smoothie that is coffee flavored. Good Luck to you.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I successfully lost weight without cutting out the flavored creamer for quite a while. I slowly reduced the amount to 2 tablespoons per cup. A few months ago I finally swapped out the French Vanilla Creamer for Half and Half. For most people, half and half isn't a health food, but it was definitely an improvement for me! It took a few weeks, but I am fine with it now. When I brew my coffee, I add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the grounds to add natural flavor. Give it a shot!
  • Annadrews
    Annadrews Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I absolutely the Twinings of London English Breakfast Tea, put just a little milk in it and it's great.

I was just like you at the beginning of this month with my coffee and coffee creamer.
  • SaundraM2009
    SaundraM2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Flavored coffee helps. I love my Keurig because it gives me so many options in addition to providing them in perfectly measured servings. I think it's CoffeeMate that makes "all natural" creamers that are sugar, cream, and like, vanilla extract. I tried one once, it was pretty good. I haven't converted fully because I'm a sucker for the Almond Joy creamer.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I just use a bit of skim milk and splenda. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll use 1% chocolate milk instead.
  • Mehagon
    Mehagon Posts: 83
    Options
    My coffee habits used to be horrible!! I used to have 2/3 of my cup be coffee and the other 1/3 be half & half cream. At first I measured out my cream allowing one tbsp of cream (since I couldn't drink it black), and then eventually I gave it up all together. Honestly, giving it up made it easier to drink it black when I did go back to coffee. Now I drink flavored coffees, but I drink it black.

Some suggestions for sweetness: Torani sugar-free coffee syrups at Albertsons. They have a hazelnut and french vanilla flavor and they are quite tasty if you need the sweet coffee. And maybe slowly restricting your cream will help you to be able to drink it black or at least manage your calories from it better. :)

Hope this helps!
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    Ill trade dove chocolates for skinny cow or a chocolate fiber one bar, Ill trade my fried foods for fresh baked foods, Ill trade my soda for liptons diet half'n half....But My coffee with skinny caramel machiatto creamer I CANT DO IT!! Now I can do 1 cup or even sometime 1/2 cup . GOOD LUCK IM NOT THERE YET!!
  • Mehagon
    Mehagon Posts: 83
    Options
    I successfully lost weight without cutting out the flavored creamer for quite a while. I slowly reduced the amount to 2 tablespoons per cup. A few months ago I finally swapped out the French Vanilla Creamer for Half and Half. For most people, half and half isn't a health food, but it was definitely an improvement for me! It took a few weeks, but I am fine with it now. When I brew my coffee, I add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the grounds to add natural flavor. Give it a shot!

And YES! Adding cinnamon to the grounds helps me be able to drink it black too. Seems to cut down on the acidity which was always one of my problems.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Drink it BLACK
  • Allishole
    Allishole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Medium Roast with skim milk and Splenda....Splenda even makes flavors that are pretty decent...
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    I was addicted to French Vanilla creamer. When I cut sugar out of my diet, I switched to a mild roast coffee and now drink it black.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It's a hard transition, been there. To start, I get flavored coffee(snickerdoodle is my favorite). I first stopped putting the sugar in but still added whole milk(one thing at a time). I have just switched to skim milk.

There are still days I get my medium regular coffee with cream and sugar at Dunks, but now it's a treat.
    Best of luck, just stick with it!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I too just use skim milk - I went from drinking it with just sugar, to black, to just milk. ( to help keep my teeth white) If you gradually change what you add and live with it for a week or so your taste buds will adjust. You can also buy calorie free flavor drops. I can't vouch for any particular brand but if you Google 'calorie free coffee flavor drops' a few sites pop up. I used to be able to find them at my grocery store but they don't carry it anymore.
  • daisytripp
    daisytripp Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I often throw a couple of teaspoons of instant coffee in my morning smoothies. While I don't really drink the coffee, it is working out as a way to gradually work myself off of the morning caffeine addiction.
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Green tea is my favorite, it has so many health benefits to it, too. Another really good one is Yerba Mate. Sometimes you have to go to a health food store to find it, but it's flavorful without sugar and it really helps to fill you up so you don't feel the need to eat so often.
  • abvickrey
    abvickrey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    5 hour energy
  • Carita79
    Carita79 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i struggled with this when i started also..cutting down on the cups a day helps..i was a 6cuppa day girl before.
    i enjoyed the cream and sugar..so i thought! that was untill i tru trial error and reading up.. decided against artificial sweetners..and went with honey better for my body and about 60 cals a tbls :) and coconut coffee cream..it tastes great :) 1tbls is 50 cals