High End Scotch Recommendations?

Options
lukeout007
lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
One of my rewards for hitting a goal along the way is going to be a nice bottle of scotch. But I'm relatively new to scotch drinking and would love some suggestions. Most of what I've bought has been cheap and the good types I've tried are glenlivet and one other that I don't know the name of.

I'm a big fan of just about everything I've had but I would love to get a nice $50-$100 bottle as a reward for myself. Can any of you scotch drinkers give me some recommendations in that price range? I would also be open to recommendations above that range just in case I decide to really splurge...

Replies

• stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Laphroaig is a great, smokey Islay whisky that usually runs in high $50s around here. That would be my recommendation.
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Johnny Walker Black or Green.....very smoooooooth :smile:
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Laphroig, but if you don't like the peat, Singleton is nice.
  • juliespears
    juliespears Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Laphroiag is definitely my FAVORITE! Went to Scotland this past summer and became completely hooked on single malts from Islay for the peaty/smoky flavor. Not much of a fan of the Lowland varieties, but the Isle of Skye also has a good Highland whiskey called Talisker. Glenfiddich 12-year old is widely available and fairly inexpensive...also tastes very good.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Personally I was always a fan of Oban 14. You also can't go wrong with Macallan 18. Highland Park is also very nice. All of them are in the $50-$100 range. Laphroaig is nice as is Lagavulin.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    2012 Whisky Bible Award Winner
    Old Pulteney 21 Year Old Single Malt Whisky
    World Whisky of the Year in Jim Murray's 2012 Whisky Bible.
    Securing the 2012 prestigous award for the worlds best whisky is this 21 year old single malt whisky. "The 21-year-old Old Pulteney absolutely exploded from the glass with vitality, charisma and class."
    A single highland malt from a relatively small distillery, currently only available directly from the distillers website

http://www.oldpulteney.com/whisky-21-year-old.php

PS you can buy it on Ebay and Amazon too
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My husband is a big whisky fan. His favourite is Laphroig. I like Port Ellen, personally.

edit - cask strength, obviously.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Personally I was always a fan of Oban 14. You also can't go wrong with Macallan 18. Highland Park is also very nice. All of them are in the $50-$100 range. Laphroaig is nice as is Lagavulin.

Lagavulin is my husband's other favourite.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Wow...I didn't expect so many awesome responses! Looks like I have a lot to choose from!
  • lukeout007
    Options
    How on earth would you pronounce laphroaig?
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Gotta throw my recommendation in for MacAllan 12yr Sherry Oak. Not too expensive, but a fine single malt. App $60/bottle.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Lah-Froy-gah
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Folks, back up just a second.

I *love* scotch. Super peated, incredibly smoky Islay scotches are the best. Laphraoig and Lagavulin were my favorites.

But...the Ardbeg 10 blew me away when I first tried it. It's insane.

And for the price, you can probably get a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and Balvenie Doublewood within your budget. Two very different scotches.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    The Macallan
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You buy online :wink:
  • ladyshine2011
    Options
    Usquaebach! :drinker:
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Laphroaig is a great, smokey Islay whisky that usually runs in high $50s around here. That would be my recommendation.

I was just about to say this. My late father would expect nothing less than Laphroaig for birthday, christmas and fathers day!
  • rudzud
    rudzud Posts: 24
    Options
    What scotch you want depends entirely on your own personal taste. Do you like a good very assertive peat/smoky scotch? If so, then Lagavulin 16 year is it.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options

La - froy - g