Quick, Healthy Weeknight Meals

Options
Lib_B
Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
Always looking for suggestions that are family friendly. We like to switch it up often...and we like "ethnic" foods as well. Indian, southeast Asian, etc. are not off limits. Neither are vegetarian or vegan dishes - however, we are not seitan fans. We prefer to use all natural ingredients. Since I work days AND go to school at night - 30 - 45 minutes is about all I've got to commit to evening meal prep. also things that freeze or reheat well are a bonus. Also meals that can be prepped in advance or that become the next night's meal are great too.

I check out eatingwell.com and cookinglight.com frequently, but sometimes it's nice to get recipes from people who have tried them - especially on kids.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

Replies

• Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Bump - I'd like some new recipes as well
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I might have weird taste ... I don't have to feed anyone but myself ... but ...

One of my favourite quick and easy meals is any meat, chicken or shrimp stir fried with onion & garlic and olive oil. (unless I'm using ground beef)
    Then I add red curry paste and a bunch of veggies and 1/4 to 1/2 cup coconut milk or cream.
    Let it simmer and voila ... dinner.

I don't eat low fat so this might be too high for some.
    The red curry paste is new to me and I just love it for adding flavour to dishes.

I also enjoy making Meatloaf Muffins.
    I use cooked quinoa as the binder and add salsa to the meat and also top each muffin with salsa before putting them in the oven.
    These freeze well and are so easy to make.
    I usually make them with ground turkey.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Pasta bakes are pretty quick and easy to do - and kids love pasta generally! Try switching from white pasta to whole wheat - the protein and fibre content is much better. If I'm in a rush I'll have a run around the fridge and see what meat and veggies are in there - add garlic and canned tomatoes, mix with al dente cooked pasta and put in a pyrex dish topped with cheese and baked for 25mins or so.

Fajitas are great - and finger food so fun for kids. You can get the ready mixed seasoning and just add meat/veggies of your choice and serve with salsa, guacamole, sour cream and grated cheese. Yum!

Making frittata usually goes a long way, and again you can put whatever flavour combinations you like in there. It's also great reheated for breakfast.

Thai, as suggested is always a winner for me - you can always add more coconut milk if it's too spicy for the kids. I love prawns in a red curry sauce, and chicken and eggplant in a green curry sauce.

Tonight I'm making a spicy Moroccan chickpea chilli which is vegan. I try to eat meat free/dairy free once in a while and chickpeas are packed full of protein and essential vitamins :) - essentially this is just chickpeas (soaked overnight) then cooked with onion, garlic, a touch of ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, bay leaf or two and a pinch of garam masala. Reheats really well for lunch too!

Happy cooking :)
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bump
  • redlabel71
    redlabel71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like to make chole, an Indian dish using chickpeas... It's very filling, inexpensive and fast:

1 can chickpeas/garbonzo beans (rinsed and drained
    1 onion chopped
    2 tomatoes chopped (can use a can of tomato sauce instead)
    Spices - use some or all of the following: cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala
    Salt & pepper
    handful of cilantro for garnish (optional)

- Saute the onion, about 5-7 min
    - Add the tomatoes or tomato sauce and cook another 5-7 min
    - Add whatever spices you are going to use and mix in and let mix for a couple of minutes
    -Add the drained chickpeas, salt & pepper and mix, let cook covered for another 5-10 min.
    -Sprinkle on chopped cilantro if you want

Serve it with whole wheat naan, roti or rice.
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This sounds delish and easy. Will def give a try. TY!