Marilyn Monroe lifted weights! Get lifting, ladies!

tumblr_lte8q1MJhN1r2qyvbo1_500.jpg

horrorpopdarling-2009062910534-00-original.jpg

7d_1_b_3417_1.JPG

tumblr_ldj09y9AEJ1qd9z0fo1_500.jpg

Just sayin' :wink: Don't be afraid that you'll bulk up like crazy! YOU WONT, I promise.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Yeah, those look so heavy.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Doesn't matter that they're not heavy, the whole purpose of weight training is sculpting/toning.

She was way before her time, it was not common for women to lift weights back then, and she was so desired for her toned, feminine body :smile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Um it does matter that they weigh like 2 pounds. It's pointless and silly. It's just a photo shoot.

I don't get the big deal about Marilyn anyway. She had a sad life and I don't think anybody should look up to her.
  • rayvaughn76
    rayvaughn76 Posts: 4 Member
    That's surprising. I thought in those days the only things most people lifted (men and women) were Marlboro's (deep breathing exercise) and Budweiser (12 oz curls).
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    I liked Marilyn, when I found out she was a size 14 I loved her. I do lift when i work out, there 5lb weights trust me I feel the good "burn". Love those jeans she's wearing.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    A woman doesn't have to lift heavy weights to get results. I don't believe in lifting heavy and I'm getting the results that I'm aiming for.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    Doesn't matter that they're not heavy, the whole purpose of weight training is sculpting/toning.

She was way before her time, it was not common for women to lift weights back then, and she was so desired for her toned, feminine body :smile:

People on MFP are advocating lifting as heavy as you can - they are giving that advice to females. No problem with it, however, showing MM lifting a barbell without weights doesn't quite go with the original advice.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Um it does matter that they weigh like 2 pounds. It's pointless and silly. It's just a photo shoot.

I don't get the big deal about Marilyn anyway. She had a sad life and I don't think anybody should look up to her.

Thats what I can't get my mind wrapped around.

Why exactly is she a role model?
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    When people look to Marilyn Monroe as a role model they look more for the physical features, how she actually looked not necessarily her life and how she lived it. Her beauty lives on for generations even when many people don't know hardly anything about her. She's well known and she is a classic beauty - unfortunately that's probably the only things that will continue throughout the years unless someone becomes more interested in her life to do research.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Thanks for this!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member

Thats what I can't get my mind wrapped around.

Why exactly is she a role model?

Marilyn Monroe was an incredibly charismatic person. The difference between somebody with charisma and somebody with virtually none is a massive divide because the charismatic one will have means at their disposal of using that power to influence others.

This is what she did.

Her private life, however, seems to have been riddled with a loneliness that can only be imagined. Her death remains a mystery.

There are many charismatic people in this world, but only a handful will affect a vast number of the population and become famous worldwide, Marilyn Monroe was one of those.