EDUCATE ME!

Hey all, now I've lifted before, I'm lifting now, I'm not new to lifting itself, BUT I have a new routine, and am looking for some advice.

i have a 3 day split (m, w, f) doing arms and shoulders, legs, chest and back. each day has 8-10 different exercises, and I'm doing 10-12 reps per set.

my question is: how many sets should I be doing? I used to do 3 sets of everything as a rule of thumb, but that was when I was doing maybe 5 or 6 different exercises in a 2 day split, and doing cardio/HIIT on my alternate days (now I rest on tues/thurs/sun)

Replies

• cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    I still think 3 sets is a good number
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    do you pace yourself in your lifts, or do you go through your routine high tempo?
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Are you trying to focus on building muscle or just increasing strength (which also comes w/ muscles but is not hypertrophy-centered)?
  • kealambert
    my main goals are building muscle and losing fat, getting stronger would of course be nice
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    do you pace yourself in your lifts, or do you go through your routine high tempo?

I usually keep a steady pace throughout my routine. I dont rush it. I take my 60-90 second breaks in between sets but I try not to let it go longer than that so my heart rate doesnt fall too much. If I dont have to wait for equipment, my routine takes about an hour to complete.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    My understanding is you want your total reps to be between 20-30.

I'm sure you have seen Strong Lifts advocated here, you might want to check it out.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    I try to keep a pretty steady pace during my workouts. Sometimes it is kind of hard to do though. I have a workout trainer and he works the same workouts as I do and we switch off the weights with each other. I find it a LOT easier to keep my pace when I am working with him.
  • kealambert
    My understanding is you want your total reps to be between 20-30.

I'm sure you have seen Strong Lifts advocated here, you might want to check it out.

could you tell me more? is that a book?
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    bump