Memorial Day Weekend

Options
mello
mello Posts: 817 Member
What are your plans this weekend?

We're doing the standard cookout thing with family. That is if it doesn't rain :angry: TV was showing a 70% chance all weekend!!!!!!!!!!!:explode:

Replies

• angel1face
    angel1face Posts: 110
    Options
    well its going to be a nice weekend here and we are having an engagement party on saterday with about 100 people so im looking towards a busy weekend lol. :flowerforyou:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My niece is graduating on Saturday then I guess I will just work in the yard (weather permitting) the rest of the weekend. My mom got me a $50 gift card to Kohl's for my birthday so I might go spend it on workout clothes.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I work all weekend... so take your nice day off monday and use it to get your hair done!! haha
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Going up to sty with friends ad go to the Scarborro Faire, near Dallas......
    I'm doing anything to keep my mind off my husbands deployment!

Best of long weekends to all of my mpf friends!

ileana
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Going to the GA Ren Fest on Sunday and then on Memorial Day we're having a HUGE cookout. My bro-in-laws and their wives and kids will be here. We'll put our flags at half mast and say a prayer for all the men and women who have lost their lives protecting our nation. Especially the troops that my bro-in-law knew in Iraq, Afgahanistan, Kuwait, Somalia and Korea.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Guns. BBQ. Motorcycles. Beverages. Friends. Family. And the accasional war-flash back. The usual.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm off today, going to the cemetary to visit mom and dad (tomorrow is the 1st anniversary of her passing). Tomorrow I will be helping my best freind move back to town, we've been apart for nearly 20 years but haven't lost touch, I'm so excited she's coming back! Sunday I will have a pool party at my house with my best freind and her family, my kids, and some friends and Sunday I will rest!!!

Happy Holiday everyone!
  • cellorocker
    cellorocker Posts: 290
    Options
    LOL, I've got tons of work to do, and going to try to hang out with my friends. I've been so busy they've sorta been pushed aside the last 2 weeks.
    Party at my house!
    =D
    jk.
  • Smiley1010
    Smiley1010 Posts: 82
    Options
    Wedding to go to tonight, then out to Boston tomorrow with friends. :drinker:

xsargex, thanks for serving our country. :smile:

Everyone enjoy the weekend!
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    I'm off today, going to the cemetary to visit mom and dad (tomorrow is the 1st anniversary of her passing). Tomorrow I will be helping my best freind move back to town, we've been apart for nearly 20 years but haven't lost touch, I'm so excited she's coming back! Sunday I will have a pool party at my house with my best freind and her family, my kids, and some friends and Sunday I will rest!!!

Happy Holiday everyone!

Sounds like you will be having a good and bad weekend all at once. Sorry about your mom. Mine died 4 years ago next month (step mom but she was my "emotional" mother for 33 years) and I keep hoping it will get easier but so far it hasn't.

Cool about your friend. Hope all that goes well.
  • mello
    Options
    Guns. BBQ. Motorcycles. Beverages. Friends. Family. And the accasional war-flash back. The usual.

Thank you for your sacrifice and service, we will certainly remember all of you this weekend.:flowerforyou:
  • becbec71
    becbec71 Posts: 136
    Options
    i AM EXCITED for the weekend!! Kicks off our motor cross season. My son and step son race. Last year my son took 1st overall. Hoping for a repeat!!

So my weekend entails, dirt, heat, hills, running, rushing, cooking out, kids, friends, family ect. These are the weekwnds we live for!!
  • mello
    Options
    Going up to sty with friends ad go to the Scarborro Faire, near Dallas......
    I'm doing anything to keep my mind off my husbands deployment!

Best of long weekends to all of my mpf friends!

ileana

Thanks to you as well for you and your husband's sacrifice for your freedom!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    High School graduation reception tonight and 2 tomorrow night...... I'll be glad when we can get back to normal weekend evenings!!! :laugh: :laugh: I think this is our last year for graduation receptions until our youngest graduates from college in 2011!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Can't wait for that:smile:
    No kids at home this weekend - that's unusual:tongue:
    Hope to take the Harley out for a ride or two,:smile::smile: or.......... if the #$%^&# weather cooperates, take the boat to the lake on Sunday and/or Monday! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Forecast keeps changing when/if we're gonna get big thunderstorms:grumble: :grumble: The water's still only about 64°, but thats bearable up to about knee height - lots of people will be on the beach instead of standing in the water:laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:

Enjoy everybody - and don't forget why we have this wonderful 3 day weekend......... thank a servicemember or veteran if you see one!
  • a_new_mii
    a_new_mii Posts: 53
    Options

Happy Holiday everyone!

Sounds like you will be having a good and bad weekend all at once. Sorry about your mom. Mine died 4 years ago next month (step mom but she was my "emotional" mother for 33 years) and I keep hoping it will get easier but so far it hasn't.

It does get easier. Time does heal all wounds. My Dad passed away eight years ago, and I still think of him everyday, but now it's all the good memories- I see so much of him in my daughter.
    He was my safety net, so it took a long time to feel secure again- but now I feel stronger than ever.
    Your parents still watch over you, they never truly left.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Going camping this weekend!! YAY!!! :drinker: Mon we will stop by the ranch and help put out flowers for Memorial Day.

To all who are serving, have served or have spouses and/or children serving in our military - THANK YOU!!! You have my utmost respect and all my support and prayers. You are appreciated!! :heart:
  • naugustyniak
    Options

Happy Holiday everyone!

It does get easier. Time does heal all wounds. My Dad passed away eight years ago, and I still think of him everyday, but now it's all the good memories- I see so much of him in my daughter.
    He was my safety net, so it took a long time to feel secure again- but now I feel stronger than ever.
    Your parents still watch over you, they never truly left.

Thanks for that. She was my step mom but if I could have hand picked a mom, it would be her. My biological mom is waaay lacking in the parenting skills and is not a very nice person (she is alcoholic and very mean). My step mom (I referred to her as mom) never had any kids of her own but never treated us as if we were not hers. My kids were her grandkids, no question. She was the kindest person I have ever met in my life. She taught me to cook and how to be patient (my dad is a handfull). I miss her every day. My dad got remarried 1 1/2 years after her death to a woman who is 9 years younger than me so that is really weird. I can now think about her without crying all of the time (unlike right now) but still find myself wishing I could call her for advice about things.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Also, this weekend I'm gonna take time to remember our brothers we lost during our tour in Afghanistan 2005-2006.

05 MAY 06
    Aircraft "COLOSSAL 31" a CH-47 Chinook was conducting night operations on a mountaintop LZ, in support of Operation Mountain Lion near Asadabad in Kunar province, when the rear blades made contact with a tree, totally collapsing the rear rotor system 5 seconds after contact, causing the aircraft to violently up-end over the side of the mountain. Crashing along the mountain side and killing everyone on board; to include the aircrews and passengers. The following gave their lives...

CW3 Eric W. Totten [P]
    CW2 Christopher B. Donaldson [P]
    SSG Christopher T. Howick [FE]
    SGT Jeffery S. Wiekamp [FE]
    SGT Bryan A. Brewster [FE]
    SGT John C. Griffith
    LTC Joseph J. Fenty
    SPC Justin L. O'Donohoe
    PFC Brian M. Moquin Jr
    SPC David Timmons Jr

02 JUL 06
    During a night-time mortor attack on Kandahar Airfield, an Apache was launched as part of a QRF effort to hoze down insurgents spotted fleeing a fixed position. Just outside the camp's wire after lift-off, both pilots lost visual reference with the horizon from an NVG goggle failure, and crashed the aircraft into the ground. The co-pilot was ejected from the aircraft. The aircraft caught fire and munitions began to explode, which kept him from returning back to rescue CW3 Flanigan who was knocked unconscious. Mr. Flanigan died in the fire. He left behind his wife and two kids, as well as plenty of family, friends and battles that will never forget his sacrifice for this country and the great citizens of Afghanistan. The co-pilot, after a month of treatment to injuries sustained from the crash, courageously returned back to duty.

I appreciate the thankyous. Please take time to remember these gentlemen.
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    Also, this weekend I'm gonna take time to remember our brothers we lost during our tour in Afghanistan 2005-2006.

05 MAY 06
    Aircraft "COLOSSAL 31" a CH-47 Chinook was conducting night operations on a mountaintop LZ, in support of Operation Mountain Lion near Asadabad in Kunar province, when the rear blades made contact with a tree, totally collapsing the rear rotor system 5 seconds after contact, causing the aircraft to violently up-end over the side of the mountain. Crashing along the mountain side and killing everyone on board; to include the aircrews and passengers. The following gave their lives...

CW3 Eric W. Totten [P]
    SGT John C. Griffith
    LTC Joseph J. Fenty
    SPC Justin L. O'Donohoe
    PFC Brian M. Moquin Jr
    SPC David Timmons Jr

02 JUL 06
    During a night-time mortor attack on Kandahar Airfield, an Apache was launched as part of a QRF effort to hoze down insurgents spotted fleeing a fixed position. Just outside the camp's wire after lift-off, both pilots lost visual reference with the horizon from an NVG goggle failure, and crashed the aircraft into the ground. The co-pilot was ejected from the aircraft. The aircraft caught fire and munitions began to explode, which kept him from returning back to rescue CW3 Flanigan who was knocked unconscious. Mr. Flanigan died in the fire. He left behind his wife and two kids, as well as plenty of family, friends and battles that will never forget his sacrifice for this country and the great citizens of Afghanistan. The co-pilot, after a month of treatment to injuries sustained from the crash, courageously returned back to duty.

The total lack of dedication to the cause and to strangers and unselfishness completely blows my mind. I don't think thank you is near enough.
  • mello
    Options

05 MAY 06

CW3 Eric W. Totten [P]
    SGT John C. Griffith
    LTC Joseph J. Fenty
    SPC Justin L. O'Donohoe
    PFC Brian M. Moquin Jr
    SPC David Timmons Jr

02 JUL 06

:cry: :brokenheart: