Gaining weight on recc. calories

Options
13»

Replies

• JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yes, I mean a very low calorie diet. Hcg was 500 per day. That was torture. I starved myself for @ a month
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If you lost before on a VLCD, what is so bad about going that route? Why do you say that it is torture?

I ate 500 cal a day of a green veg and a lean protein. I love to eat and it was torture not to be able to eat with my family. Sharing meal time is a big family time for me. I felt like a pariah.

Another all in your head moment right??

As I posted just a few minutes ago I'll restate this. A VLCD (Very Low Carb Diet, unless my acronyms are failing here) should never be that low on the calories, you simply cannot be satisfied, enjoy life, nor loose weight properly eating like that. I ate well over 8400 calories yesterday and less than 20 carbs and lost 2lbs since yesterday.

O_O 8,400 calories!!! I would love to see your diary!

Here's a screen shot of yesterday.

diary.jpg

Screenshot cut off a bit of information, but if anyone is curious my counts were:

Calories: 8,498
    Carbs: 11g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugar: 0g
    Protein: 632g
    Fat: 623g

...you are just pulling our leg right? ....
  • JessLLoser
    Options
    Boy the screen doesn`t lie but can this be for real?? If I could lose weight eating 1000 calories more than any nutritionist reccommends I should then well, I want to do it!!

What is this crazy diet? And can we have a picture of you? Your blood work is perfect! I am pretty healthy but I can not manage to lose a pound and I try sooooo hard!!!

Why does this work for you???
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If you lost before on a VLCD, what is so bad about going that route? Why do you say that it is torture?

I ate 500 cal a day of a green veg and a lean protein. I love to eat and it was torture not to be able to eat with my family. Sharing meal time is a big family time for me. I felt like a pariah.

Another all in your head moment right??

As I posted just a few minutes ago I'll restate this. A VLCD (Very Low Carb Diet, unless my acronyms are failing here) should never be that low on the calories, you simply cannot be satisfied, enjoy life, nor loose weight properly eating like that. I ate well over 8400 calories yesterday and less than 20 carbs and lost 2lbs since yesterday.

O_O 8,400 calories!!! I would love to see your diary!

Here's a screen shot of yesterday.

diary.jpg

Screenshot cut off a bit of information, but if anyone is curious my counts were:

Calories: 8,498
    Carbs: 11g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugar: 0g
    Protein: 632g
    Fat: 623g

...you are just pulling our leg right? ....

Haha, nope, this is actually what I ate that day, recorded everything. This is not an average day though, like I said usually 2500-3500 cals and sometimes on the weekends 4500+ cals. I have been loosing with an average of 1000 cals more than MFP recommends every day. There ARE some days that are lower than recommended, but that's just because I'm not hungry and don't eat as much. I don't believe in the forced meals multiple times a day if you just aren't feeling it.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel better... I just posted on my wall... I feel like im losing my mind! I drank proper water 7 days out of the past 11, - met my cals 8 out of 11, and did cardio 9 out of 11.... and I gave in to the temptation of getting on the scale in the gym.. cuz I was feeling great and like a BAMF - and the scale was calling me.... and I have gained a pound... pound and a half? Again... not a big deal... but im like... I just lost 3 lbs 2 wks ago... shouldnt it go the other way???
  • kprangernix07
    Options
    I feel like you're on an episode of Epic Meal Time. Bacon Beef Roll sounds pretty amazing.
  • devanhumphrey
    Options
    Hi there, we've got the same stats and I juust wanted to tell you that the same thing happened to me. I started off at 1500 calories and I walk /jog 60 minutes every other day. I gained 1.5-2 lbs for the first few weeks. After a month I decreased my calories to 1350 (which still leaves me enough food when I'm smart about what I eat) and ramped up my water intake and it's been a poud a week off since.

Lately, I've been lazy & not watching calories but I'm back on track and will be joining shapes today to get some weights into my routine.

Stick it out. Do it the right way, it takes longer, but you will keep it off. It's hard and discouraging when you're trying to loose weight and you end up gaining a few pounds, but keep in mind, if you're working out, even jogging, you're building muscle & it weighs more than fat. Once I start with the weights, I'll stop worrying about the scale. I expect my number to go up, but it'll about how my clothes fit, and how my body feels.

Best of luck, don't give up, you'll get there & dont be too hard on yourself!
  • hstanton7
    hstanton7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most people have been telling you: relax and stick with it. It is normal for weight to flucuate a few pounds daily. Also, your activity level may be too high, but if you are working out HARD for 90 min, then you need that 1800 calories.

I was having the same trouble as you, counting calories and still gaining a lot of weight. I got a personal trainer who helped me with my workouts and put me on a diet. Its worked. It is expensive, but I got results.

Another thing you may want to do is go to the doctor. It seems like you are doing the right things, but your body is not cooperating. I also did this and found out I have high cortisol levels which slows my metabolism, making me gain weight even though I was working out HARD 6 days a week.

Hope this helps!
  • devanhumphrey
    Options
    :)
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Boy the screen doesn`t lie but can this be for real?? If I could lose weight eating 1000 calories more than any nutritionist reccommends I should then well, I want to do it!!

What is this crazy diet? And can we have a picture of you? Your blood work is perfect! I am pretty healthy but I can not manage to lose a pound and I try sooooo hard!!!

Why does this work for you???

I agree, the HCG diet WOULD be torture. I know a few people that have done it personally and they always look hungry, and when the weight came off you could tell (especially on men) that most of the loss was muscle and not fat, as they ended up with a weird sickly "skinny-fat" look (similar to what most vegan men look like). My personal opinion is that if you can't find joy in food, what's the point of living...it's like sex, if I didn't enjoy food or sex, what's the point of even being around? :tongue:

Now, my "secret" is really no secret at all. What I do is follow a low carb diet, at this time specifically Atkins. While most people that read that probably shut their brains off and got the "Oh, that's going to kill you" response ready to type out, I assure you that I've NEVER been healthier with weight, blood work, self esteem and sense of well being than when I am on low carb.

I highly suggest that anyone that is struggling with weight loss go buy Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (there is a newer book "New Atkins for a New You", but New Diet Revolution was the last book written by Dr. Atkins personally, and I trust it more). and ACTUALLY read it, cover to cover and then pass judgment. There is so much misinformation out there about doing a low carb diet, but you will find that 99% of those that have issues with it have either A) Never once read the book and go off what the media and broscience tells them or B) Did a half-assed version and were not successful.

I've lost 105lbs in 9 months in 2003-2004 on Atkins, and am using it again to loose after slipping back into a standard american diet (read JUNK food and tons of carbs). I eat WAY more natural foods and vegtables than anyone I know. I eat more vegtables than a few vegetarians I know...what can be so bad about that?
  • kprangernix07
    Options
    hstanton7 - can you tell me more about cortisol levels? I know I'm in a high stress environment, and an adrenaline junkie.... I usually do a moderate 30 min workout, but every few days I kick it up to the angry music and run 3 miles or so and do like an hour at the gym... I know ive been cheating having like a piece of candy a day, but its only been like 20 or 30 cals... and I've been under for the most part???
  • JessLLoser
    Options
    Hee hee! Epic meal time! Bacon Beef roll. Yum!:love:
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chickiebabe151
    Options
    I love wine and have had major issues with weight loss. Even when I restrict my calories to accommodate a wine night I find it completely stops any weight loss all together. I did extensive research on this and this is what I learned:

Your liver is responsible for burning fat. Your liver is also responsible for processing alcohol and any other toxin that you put into your body. Your liver will always process alcohol before it burns fat. Most of the work your liver does is while you are asleep. So, if you have a few drinks and go to bed then your liver will spend the evening processing the liquor and store the fat you consumed that day because it wasn't able to get to it on time. Additionally, it wont be burning any fat. So, you are not only NOT burning fat (weight loss) but you have also stored fat (weight gain). Depending on how bad you torture your liver it may take a couple days to get back into fat burning zone. Let's say you are a moderate drinker (IMO 2 times a week, Wednesday and Saturday). You go into fat burning mode on Sunday and lose a pound or so, then Wednesday you have a few drinks. You are now out of fat burning zone for a couple days. Friday you go back into fat burning zone, but then Saturday you have a few drinks again, now you are back out.....rinse, lather, repeat.

I did not have a drink (not one) for 2 months this year (January 1 - February 29) and I lost 17lbs in two months. Since the beginning of March, almost one month now I have enjoyed one wine night a week and I have not lost a pound.

In addition to the effects of wine, I NEED a carb-filled meal the following day. I am still moderate with calories but I can't eat protein and veggies only.

I know this is very discouraging news for wine lovers (trust me, it took me years to accept and I am still heart-broken) but IMO you cannot lose weight and drink. You can however maintain your weight while drinking if you do it in moderation and eat great all week.

Everybody's body works differently so it's important to play around with things to see what works for you and what you can get away with but ALL diet books will tell you to omit alcohol during the losing phase.
  • JessLLoser
    Options
    I hate this response but feel in my gut that it is probably true, what else can I do that is as fun
    as drinking wine?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Since the beginning of March, almost one month now I have enjoyed one wine night a week and I have not lost a pound.

In addition to the effects of wine, I NEED a carb-filled meal the following day. I am still moderate with calories but I can't eat protein and veggies only.

I know this is very discouraging news for wine lovers (trust me, it took me years to accept and I am still heart-broken) but IMO you cannot lose weight and drink. You can however maintain your weight while drinking if you do it in moderation and eat great all week.

I hate to say this but I really don't think one glass of wine a week is preventing you from losing weight. You are correct that the liver's primary function is as a filter - But your liver doesn't take six days to filter alcohol in a glass of wine. I get that you're looking for reasons that you haven't been losing weight, but 4oz of wine in a week isn't a strong enough reason to completely throw off your diet. unless there is something medically wrong.

I will say that people who drink OFTEN need to cut back in order to lose weight... But I've been drinking a glass or two of wine a week for years, and I lost 40lbs without cutting out wine.

Your theory about being taken out of "fat burning mode" is BS. sorry.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love wine and have had major issues with weight loss. Even when I restrict my calories to accommodate a wine night I find it completely stops any weight loss all together. I did extensive research on this and this is what I learned:

Your liver is responsible for burning fat. Your liver is also responsible for processing alcohol and any other toxin that you put into your body. Your liver will always process alcohol before it burns fat. Most of the work your liver does is while you are asleep. So, if you have a few drinks and go to bed then your liver will spend the evening processing the liquor and store the fat you consumed that day because it wasn't able to get to it on time. Additionally, it wont be burning any fat. So, you are not only NOT burning fat (weight loss) but you have also stored fat (weight gain). Depending on how bad you torture your liver it may take a couple days to get back into fat burning zone. Let's say you are a moderate drinker (IMO 2 times a week, Wednesday and Saturday). You go into fat burning mode on Sunday and lose a pound or so, then Wednesday you have a few drinks. You are now out of fat burning zone for a couple days. Friday you go back into fat burning zone, but then Saturday you have a few drinks again, now you are back out.....rinse, lather, repeat.

I did not have a drink (not one) for 2 months this year (January 1 - February 29) and I lost 17lbs in two months. Since the beginning of March, almost one month now I have enjoyed one wine night a week and I have not lost a pound.

Everybody's body works differently so it's important to play around with things to see what works for you and what you can get away with but ALL diet books will tell you to omit alcohol during the losing phase.

I drink and have been losing weight just fine. Some weeks as much as 2lbs...and I am eating 2200 calories a day, on average. 20% protein, 30% fat, 50% carbs. So yeah.