High protein, low calorie, low fat, low carb, low cholestero

Options
Quick, name all you can think of! :wink: ....Are there any* other than egg whites?

(*Preferably not involving soy, peas, beans, lentils, garbanzos/chickpeas, etc. - I have an allergy to almost all legumes.)

Replies

• lookatme09
    lookatme09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love my chicken and Turkey and cottage cheese
  • lauest
    lauest Posts: 11
    Options
    low fat cottage cheese; low / no fat greek yoghurt
    skinny milk. Poached chicken breast (no skin obviously).
  • lauest
    lauest Posts: 11
    Options
    I forgot one ( I dont eat because I'm a vego). Special only to Australians: kangaroo - one of the best meats to eat!
  • rwegand
    rwegand Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tuna fish (light) packaged in water w/ no salt. Easy to pack for on-the-go, and no cooking required.

165g can = 191 cal, 50mg cholesterol, 0g carb, 42g protein.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt.
    The 0% kind if you like that.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    fish
  • fluecok
    fluecok Posts: 52
    Options
    tuna with eggs mmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    shrimp
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    Shrimp, Crab and most fish (not breaded or fried)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    i thought shrimp had a boatload of cholesterol
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    whey protein
  • Coco_puff901
    Coco_puff901 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Kale ! :)
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    yogurt
    venison
    fish
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    boiled eggs
    hard cheese (you can get little individual sizes that are great as a snack)
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Lean meats and fish, these are the ones I mainly eat.
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Tuna
    Also I have protein shakes, they curb my sweet tooth as I get to have choc or vanilla shakes, yummy! x

:flowerforyou:
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options

There are good cholesterols and bad cholesterols. The body needs good cholesterol and shellfish is a good source of it. The body does not need bad cholesterol - but you don't get bad cholesterol from eating it, your body makes the bad cholesterol from saturated fat. So if you want to reduce your cholesterol cut down on too much saturated fat, like in meat and dairy but you can eat the shellfish :)
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Sorry for taking so (very!) long to respond. This whole RL thing can sometimes kind of take over your whole life... ;)

And many thanks to all you you for all your suggestions. Here is my Protein-Fix Food List so far:

Egg whites
    Chicken (esp. breast)
    Turkey
    Cottage Cheese (low fat)
    Milk (low fat)
    Yogurt (low or non-fat)
    Greek Yogurt (non- fat)
    Hard cheese
    Tuna (water-packed)
    Light Tuna (165g can = 191 cal, 50mg cholesterol, 0g carb, 42g protein)
    I hadn't realized that tuna was so (comparatively) low in cholesterol. I got a nasty 334-mg surprise from 6 oz. of shrimp the other day, and have been leery of fish & seafood ever since.
    tuna with eggs mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    I wouldn't have thought of it, but that pairing does sound good. A tuna frittata (maybe with diced sun-dried tomatoes? ) is in my very near future. :)
    I forgot one ( I dont eat because I'm a vego). Special only to Australians: kangaroo - one of the best meats to eat!
    You know, I've heard that most kangaroo meat is indeed excellent for all meat-eating humans, Except that apparently the kangaroo tail is indigestible by and extremely harmful to anyone other than fifty-ish women approximately 5'8" to 5'10" in height who reside in the greater Seattle area, can curl their tongues, and have second toes longer than their great toes.

Just to be on the safe side, you'd better immediately pack all your kangaroo tails in dry ice and send them to me. :wink: :wink: :wink:
    whey protein
    Wow - whey protein is right up there with eggs whites for pure protein. Thanks for the head's-up. :smile:

OTOH, I tried some yesterday, and found it really did not agree with me. I'm not sure whether it's just that one brand & flavor (Designer Whey Protein Powder, French Vanilla), or if the whey protein itself just isn't compatible with my particular innards.
    Kale ! :)
    Lessee... at 2 g protein/cup of raw chopped kale, and (0.8 g/kg minimum daily protein intake for adult women) x (my goal weight of 183 lbs) x (0.454 lb/kg) = 67 g; that come to 33-1/2 cups of kale per day.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. :happy: :laugh: :happy:
    cottage cheese
    yogurt
    venison
    fish
    Um, I dunno, Anne. Locally & lately around here:
    Cottage cheese = roughly $1.15 - $1.50/pint (approx. 1 lb.)
    Yogurt = roughly $1.25 - $2.00/pint (approx. 1 lb.)
    Fish = roughly $4.00 - $25.00/lb
    Venison = roughly $15.00 -$50.00/lb, available only by mail order AFAIK

Either venison is much cheaper and easier to get hold of in Northeastern Scotland than in the Northwestern US, or there's something wrong with this picture. :smile:
    shrimp
    Shrimp, Crab and most fish (not breaded or fried)
    There are good cholesterols and bad cholesterols. The body needs good cholesterol and shellfish is a good source of it. The body does not need bad cholesterol - but you don't get bad cholesterol from eating it, your body makes the bad cholesterol from saturated fat. So if you want to reduce your cholesterol cut down on too much saturated fat, like in meat and dairy but you can eat the shellfish :)
    Okay, so - you got your LDLs, your HDLs, your tri-glycerides, your Omega-3's, your good cholesterols, your bad cholesterols, your "not-really-bad-just-drawn-that-way" ;) cholesterols...

I like to think that I'm smarter than the average bear, but I'm confused as all-get-out here. If I eat the shellfish, my "bad" cholesterol goes down? If so, does that mean that I can treat shellfish as if it had zero (or negative) cholesterol? Can or should I eat all the "good" cholesterol I want? Should I ignore "bad" cholesterol completely and worry about saturated fat? What about trans-fat? Poly- & mono-unsaturated fats? Does all of this change if my total cholesterol is already high (i.e. 237 mg/dl)?

I don't really expect anyone to try to answer all that, but if you happen to know of some sort of (on- or offline) reference that someone with a mere master's degree in an utterly-un-biological science might be able to understand, I would be very grateful to be pointed in its direction. :smile:

(I hope that doesn't sound ill-tempered. While I am frustrated with this gawdawful confounded cholesterol confusion, I'm not frustrated with you or anyone else who's been kind enough to reply to my questions. :flowerforyou: )

Thanks again to everyone.
  • Live2InspireHope
    Live2InspireHope Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    this is a great topic i start next week on what will be the hardest thing in my life. my doctors are putting me on a 1400 cal 150+ protein and less than 60 carb diet. not sure how to do all this number crunching but i am seeing TUNA will become my new best friend and staple of my diet thanks for all the info any other friendly advice thanks a ton

Dan

my new word in my life is BALANCE i need to Balance all these things and make a diet that will work for me