Is the whole grain in brown rice worth the calories?

2»

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    anything like brown rice ( or true whole wheat bread ) is always better than white( rice or bread ). It may be more calories, but it's a complex carb vs. a simple carb. The body has to work harder to get to the sugar for a complex carb, and the fiber helps to keep you feeling full on top of being good for "keeping you regular" :-)

The majority of the brown rice grain is still made up of starch, which is absolutely a simple carb.

smh. Not a simple carb, sorry. :)

http://www.ehow.com/list_5962341_list-foods-complex-carbohydrates.html#page=1 << dem be the facts.... still eventually broken down to sugar, yes. But not through the simple process like refined products. It takes a COMPLEX process, avoiding the fast sugar spike seen with a SIMPLE process...
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    I've given up rice completely :sad: brown rice tastes like I'm chewey on bland gravel.. it just kind of rolls around in my mouth and sticks in my throat. Kinda sucks because I used to like white rice. I like the fluffy consistancy. isn't there any other flavorful, healthy fluffy rice out there?? What about the rice they sell in the chinese food stroes? Sticky rice? My co workers have eaten it everyday of their life and they are rail thin.. (yes they are older chinese and tell me constantly it's good for me).. But it's white.. and white is bad right? in carbs/food....
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Are you sure you're comparing correctly? That doesn't seem correct. Brown rice is only slightly higher in calories than a similar type of white rice.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    bump
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member

smh. Not a simple carb, sorry. :)

http://www.ehow.com/list_5962341_list-foods-complex-carbohydrates.html#page=1 << dem be the facts.... still eventually broken down to sugar, yes. But not through the simple process like refined products. It takes a COMPLEX process, avoiding the fast sugar spike seen with a SIMPLE process...

I stand corrected. You are totally right.

Starch still sets off insulin spikes, however, at least in people with insulin resistance. I am one of them, and starch is no good for me. Brown rice is *better*, but for someone like me, no rice is best.
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    I think it is worth the calories if they give you energy to burn. I recommend carbs only for breakfast or lunch and definitely a workout after you eat those carbs.

If you're not working out soon after eating the carbs, I'd say don't bother.

Load up on carbs before a workout - kill it in the gym, then eat lots of protein afterwards.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    I like basmati and its a low GI. Saw a recipe the other day for half brown rice and haf white. The brown rice soaked for 1 hour and then added to rice cooker with white. For those who may not like brown rice that much.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    If you compare equal amounts of steamed medium grain white vs. brown rice using the non-* selections here on MFP, brown rice has fewer calories than white. I just verified on the USDA website and brown has 110 kcal per 100g and white has 129 kcal per 100g.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    How do you cook brown rice? I do it, but not well.
    I am from the south so I have no problem cooking white rice.
    I have gotten better with the brown rice, but would appreciate any tips.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 559 Member
    I believe that's 140 kcal in a quarter cup of uncooked rice.
    Rice expands significantly when cooking it. A serving of cooked brown rice is only 20-40 calories more than a serving of cooked white rice.
    In my opinion, it's definitely worth those twenty calories!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    It's a trick question. The calories are very similar between both. Eat the one you like more.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    I've given up rice completely :sad: brown rice tastes like I'm chewey on bland gravel.. it just kind of rolls around in my mouth and sticks in my throat. Kinda sucks because I used to like white rice. I like the fluffy consistancy. isn't there any other flavorful, healthy fluffy rice out there?? What about the rice they sell in the chinese food stroes? Sticky rice? My co workers have eaten it everyday of their life and they are rail thin.. (yes they are older chinese and tell me constantly it's good for me).. But it's white.. and white is bad right? in carbs/food....

losing4life
    Do you use a rice cooker? I cook my brown rice in one. And I season it with salt pepper and garlic and onions . It is anything but bland. It absolutely amazing!!!!!
  • lexidell46
    lexidell46 Posts: 143
    I cant cook instant rice. but I can cook long rice. I learned from an old Chinese gentleman.To rinse the rice 3 times then only add the cold water to your first nickel on your index finger above the rice before cooking it.bring to a boil then turn the cover the pot and then turn the heat to low for 20 min. then the rice is done.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member

I use a rice cooker. It comes out perfect every time.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 615 Member
    If you are able to fit one or the other into your daily caloric intake and keep macros inline, eat which ever one you like the most.