Has anyone had luck with just walking as cardio?

Options
I have a hard time with just jumping back into jogging/running after not doing it for so long. I am just wondering if anyone has had success with just walking...outside, treadmill, whichever....as a form of cardio....also, how long do you walk? Do you break it up into 3 10 minute sessions, 2 15 minute sessions or more than that? Thanks!

Replies

• kparks2
    kparks2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Personally I do not think walking is the best for high calorie burning cardio but it is safe on the knees. I know for me if I walk at 3.0 mph in a half hour I burn about 130 calories. Have you tried couch to 5k???
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. Go as fast as you can to get the heart going. And I would say do at least 45 minutes. I used to do 2 x 40 minutes (to and from work) and I definitely got more fit, there was a lot of hills though, and I was walking very fast.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    love to use walking as cardio.. on a teadmill that is.. get my heart rate to rise a little .. play some pysch or dexter on my phone and i am good to go.
  • misty2ann
    misty2ann Posts: 127
    Options
    I did do the couch25k program last year and worked pretty well, but I have terrible knees so I am looking to do something that won't injure myself when working out. Maybe just starting slowly and working up to a jog is going to be the best thing for me to do right now. Then maybe reevaluate and see if my knees can handle jogging/running again. I guess I am just scared lol
  • kparks2
    kparks2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I do not want to encourage you to injure yourself of course. I would say like previous people said do fast walking and maybe hit some low hills or on a treadmill an incline. One of my friends does power walking because she cannot injure her knees.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I walked mainly on my treadmill at a 2-3% incline @ 4.5mph for 3 miles nearly every day when I first started getting back into shape. That's ALL I did and I lost 63 pounds in the first 8 months.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    As a form of calorie burning for weight loss, walking is great.

As a form of actual cardio (i.e. strengthening your heart) then you'd have to be walking at a pretty hefty pace (sustained 3.5 - 4.5mph) to get your heart rate up into the usual cardio zones imo.
  • cmkorbel1
    Options
    What I learned from my personal trainer is that to get the most out of your cardio work out if you're just getting started is....15 min cardio-whether walking, elliptical, bike, etc, then do strength training with weights, lunges, etc, then do 15 min cardio of choice again. Increase cardio as you go. This is the most effective way to burn the most calories. I like it because it gives my ankles and knees a break in between and I end pushing myself harder during cardio because I'm not in as much pain
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It would depend on your level of fitness. A person in reasonably decent shape of normal weight is probably going to have to take awfully loooooooooooooong walks to see any benefit from regular walking.

One summer, I walked home from work just about every day. It was at least a 2.5 mile walk and I walked briskly. I didn't lose any weight from it. I didn't even get super-firm legs from it. I wasn't trying, but I was curious to see if it would make a difference.

To lose any weight from cardio, I need to run or use an elliptical trainer.

I bought a weighted vest one year when I couldn't run for some reason, but I wasn't sure it was helping. Plus, I was afraid I would look like a terrorist to a cop.

I just recalled that I know someone who owns a Nautilus Mobia, a walking treadmill that is on an incline. At a high speed that can be challenging. Personally, I'd rather have a treadmill. http://www.mobia.com/mobia/homepage.jsp
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    Due to an injury and my weight, I CAN'T run even if I wanted to (I broke my leg, destroyed my ankle in 2009). I only walk and cycle for my cardio. And I can barely cycle, maybe 5 minutes at a time. So most of my 30 minutes (or all of it) is walking.

It shows that I joined in January... But that was when someone told me about the site, I checked it out for two hours, and never used it until March 12th when I came back and was actually ready to do something about my weight.

so, just walking as my cardio and 5 minute intervals of cycling... I've lost 12 lbs... since March 12th!

When I lose more weight I'm hoping I can start doing more too, hopefully work up to jogging.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I mean anything is good but it's really not enough........
  • cyberskirt
    Options
    I walked mainly on my treadmill at a 2-3% incline @ 4.5mph for 3 miles nearly every day when I first started getting back into shape. That's ALL I did and I lost 63 pounds in the first 8 months.

WOW! That's amazing.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I went on Vacation and ate everything. Because we walked everywhere I didn't gain a single pound. If all you can do is walk or start out as walking it is fine especially if you stick to a low calorie diet it will work. Try to work towards a light jog, anything to get that hear rate up!

Looking for low impact try swimming or biking works well too.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much all I do for cardio. But we have two HUGE Airedale Terriers and one normal sized one, so even walking with them is quite a workout. But ... they keep us moving!
  • cyberskirt
    Options
    I mean anything is good but it's really not enough........

It seems to be working for me...
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I walk for an hour on the treadmill everyday at 3.5 mph on an incline of 3. I started at 3 mph so I wouldn't hate it. Add to a healthy diet and I have lost 11 pounds in the last month. I think starting slow makes it more enjoyable and something you can do everyday. Starting slow gets you going. You'll know when its time to pick up more speed. Your body will tell you. I think the most important thing is to get a walk in every day. This will help you form a healthy habit! Get movin!
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Walking is great, but you really have to do it for at least 30-45 min every day at a brisk pace in order to burn fat.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I walk on a treadmill and do the stationary bike. Can't see as to why walking WOULDN'T be good cardio if you do it long enough and have a good pace.
  • andforpoise
    andforpoise Posts: 185
    Options
    Our transit system here in Halifax, NS went on strike for 40 days and I had to resort to walking EVERYWHERE! Some days I did up to 2 hours of walking. All in all I lost about 3-5 lbs... so I say walking is an alright form of cardio!
  • DonnaLRB
    DonnaLRB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 lbs since January 15, and walking is the only cardio exercise I'm doing right now. I started with 30 minutes 3 days a week, then 5 days, and now I'm doing 1 hour a day. I have a lot of weight to lose, so I'm not sure you can get the same results, but for me walking is perfect right now.:happy: