Tell me about Primal Eating

Options
l3long
l3long Posts: 153 Member
I have heard this term thrown around and would like to hear more about what it means

Replies

• _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    marksdailyapple.com - you'll find everything you need to know there.

In a nutshell, it's about eating clean, healthy, whole foods, avoiding processed foods and those things that make your blood sugar spike and crash, getting the most out of functional exercise without burning out from chronic cardio, getting enough sun, sleep and play... It's the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I encourage anyone who is curious to read about it, and consider trying it for 30 days.

:)
    Amy
  • mrscarrey
    mrscarrey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Also,

Nora Gedgaudas - primal body, primal mind website http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/

Paleo is very close, but does not allow for diary, whereas primal does.

Robb Wolf - http://www.robbwolf.com/

Underground Wellness - lots of paleo/primal health info www.undergroundwellness.com

Chris Kresser - the healthy skeptic www.chriskresser.com
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Eating meat, veggies, poultry, fruits, seeds and nuts and some dairy. No processed foods, sugar, grains, legumes. Basically foods that will make your body thrive and feel amazing and cutting out all the yucky stuff. I have been doing it for 4 months and feel fan freakin tastic. "cheat days" or what I used to call crazy binges while dieting have been completely eliminated because I'm not hungry, and not craving sweets and carbs all the time. Definitely check out marksdailyapple.com. Best thing I ever did.
  • treatdream
    treatdream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the previous posts. Feel great and am losing weight. Don't even miss the junk. I'm technically on the anti-candida diet cause I'm having some health issues but it is very close to primal and I plan to transition to primal once my body is balanced again.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Eating meat, veggies, poultry, fruits, seeds and nuts and some dairy. No processed foods, sugar, grains, legumes. Basically foods that will make your body thrive and feel amazing and cutting out all the yucky stuff. I have been doing it for 4 months and feel fan freakin tastic. "cheat days" or what I used to call crazy binges while dieting have been completely eliminated because I'm not hungry, and not craving sweets and carbs all the time. Definitely check out marksdailyapple.com. Best thing I ever did.

What is wrong with legumes?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You are allowed processed foods and man made sugars if it's sold by Sisson like his protein powder though, since it's sold by him, man made sugars and a high degree of processing are A-Ok
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just started the Paleo diet (which is like Primal- according to someone who answered previously) and I am loving it! No more stomach aches! My stomach was flat for the first time since I had kids within just 2 weeks! Thanks for starting this thread!
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    Options
    Nothing WRONG with them, and Mark says you can eat them in moderation if you want and they don't bother you but they are high in carbs, and the protein in them in no where near as good as just eating meat. He has a whole section on the reasoning for each food group on marksdailyapple.com. And to the poster above, I don't take supplements, not from him nor anywhere else. All vitamins and nutrients I'm able to get through my food. Whey protein powder is a highly debated topic though for primal, yes it is highly processed, but no it isn't bad for you. There are exceptions to every rule. Plus I always try to live by the 80/20 rule. STrive for 100% but realize it gonna be more like 80/20. Atleast you are eating 80% better than most americans.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    Options
  • l3long
    Options
    very interseting ... thank you.

I check out marksdailyapple.com

There are some great recipes there that fit right into the way I eat. I am gluten free and dairy free but need to eat high fibre for colon health (bad genetics in this area). I love the cracker recipes using nuts and seeds. I might have trouble giving up beans, though. I eat a lot of beans and lentils.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thanks for Mark's Daily Apple. I used to be a strict vegan, so legumes were a must. Then I realized they were the perfect weight-loss food for me because they turned my appetite switch off. I did some research to discover why, and found that legumes contain nutrients that boost leptin sensitivity. Leptin tells the brain that you're satisfied. For me, the high carb content in legumes is an OK trade-off, especially when they also deliver calcium and fiber.
    I'm adding a bit of animal products (sustainable/humane) back to my diet now, but I'm still partly on the fence and I'm not really comfortable there!
  • l3long
    Options
    Yes, I thgink I will keep my legumes, too. We had a lovely bean soup for supper last night and chili is on the menu tomorrow.
  • appledipper
    appledipper Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tim Ferris and his 4-Hour Body diet includes legumes (protein and vegetables):

http://thetimferrissdiet.blogspot.com/

http://fourhourbody.com/#contents