REALLY unfit!

Options
Where do I start? Any advice would be great, the only thing is - I have no money to buy DVDs or anything and don't have running shoes or the confidence levels to go running round the streets of London! Is there anything I can do in the privacy of my own home that would help? I hear skipping is really effective? And what about swimming?

Any advice would be fab, thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Since you're saying you don't have money to buy DVDs I'm guessing you want to do something that doesn't require a gym either.

Swimming is great exercise. You can also do a bodyweight exercise routine 3x a week that could be your strength training if you're so inclined. Variations of push-ups, lunges, squats, crunches, and others that escape me right now.
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    Jumping rope is a great way to get your heart rate up and use your entire body.

I also recommend body-weight exercises like push ups, lunges, squats, etc.

Do these things 5x a week for ~45 minutes and you'll be on your way!

And obviously your diet will play a key role in maximizing your results - so start eating clean!
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options

I was just going to post this.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options

Haha awesome! Unfortunately some of the p90x vids don't work now :(
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    Since you're saying you don't have money to buy DVDs I'm guessing you want to do something that doesn't require a gym either.

Swimming is great exercise. You can also do a bodyweight exercise routine 3x a week that could be your strength training if you're so inclined. Variations of push-ups, lunges, squats, crunches, and others that escape me right now.

this^^^^^this

u also can borow exercise videos from your local library:bigsmile:
    bodyweight exercises are great!!!!!!
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    youtube has tons of workout videos, and as much as a good pair of shoes helps you I spent the first 2 months working out in my Chucks. :)
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If you have access to MFP, you have access to the web? The web should have free workout videos like exercise.tv and I am sure others. So many articles about exercises you can do with or without weights. Have a printer to print these off? Save these web sites under "bookmarks." If all is fails, turn up your radio and dance it off! Good luck!
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Don't forget yoga! No shoes required. Hope you can get money to buy some good running shoes in the future! Walking is always nice too.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    If you have access to water you can swim in - use it. You don't even have to swim laps just try to tread water and never touch the bottom or sides.

If you have access to stairs you can get a crazy good workout that way.

In your home you can dance to music, just boogey till it's uncomfortable to talk and then hold it at that level for a bit.

Lunges, squats, pushups all free :)
  • jhofeditz
    jhofeditz Posts: 13
    Options
    Actually I went back to high school and my weight training days (Yes girl strength training) But what I learned from it is to write your self some "goals" or "instructions" then follow them. This is how mine started out, adjust how you need to:

-10 lunges per side
    -10 squats
    -5 push ups
    -10 side lunges per side
    -5 jumping jacks in between

Then I would do that with more reps when I felt I could. This is something you can do while watching TV, which is what I always had problems with using videos. There is also something that is called the "Dirty Dozen" it's when you do one push up on the ground, then one on the wall. Then 2 on the ground, then 2 on the wall... go until you hit 12 per. You end up doing 78 push ups! But I would just suggest working your way up on that one!
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Skipping is a FANTASTIC exercise, and one I advocate fiercely. Don't do it barefoot, though...OUCH!! lol Don't be shocked if even 2 mins of skipping is exhausting -- it is! Your endurance will build over time, and before you know it, the time will fly by.

Music is a huge help; skipping to a great, intense beat will keep your pace up, and make the time fly by.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one else suggested this...walk. Walking is a great exercise if you're unfit. Now you're going to have to push yourself, not walk like you're browsing in a store.
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is all really helpful! Found an exercise video on youtube I was really happy with so am planning to do that every morning before uni or after uni on the days I start at 9, I'm not an early bird!
    Always dance round my room like a crazy person as it is - I live in uni accomodation with paper thin walls, not sure what my neighbours think I'm getting up to, especially when I bounce on my bed, but I don't care!
    Has anyone heard of couch to 5k? I've been reading about it and wonder if it's as good as people make out?

You've certainly given me lots of ideas so thank you :)