Does it all come down to this?!

Options
I've been doing a lot of reading lately on consuming calories. It seems to be a HUGE topic now a days. However, (and correct me if I'm wrong) I've noticed that most to all people started out on low calorie diets and moved up to larger calorie intakes. I just read an awesome article about plateauing. So what I came to question is this..is it just best to start with a low calorie intake and then when you plateau slowly increase calories again till the next plateau until you reach your goal weight &/ or maintenance? I'm just making the observation that most of the people who responded to these eating more calorie posts (from what i've read) are people that started low UNTIL they plateaued. && These are the people who have reached or almost reached their goals.This made me think further that the reason that people gain weight during increasing their calories is because their body wasn't at equilibrium yet, so it was to big of a jump...or lack of exercise and strength training as well. DONT KILL ME! Just me wondering about all this more vs less calorie thing. It might be me but this whole "ideal calorie consumption" thing is driving me crazy.