birth control and losing weight

I've been doing some research on the "Mireana IUD" Basically there is one common complaint which is: "Losing weigh is next to impossible when you are using the Mireana IUD as birth control. Just wondering if there are any MFP girls out there who have had a hard time losing weight while using this birth control method. Please let me know.

Replies

• Gabbytenille
    Gabbytenille Posts: 14 Member
    I'm not sure about the Mireana but I got on the pill in mid Jan and lost 18lbs in just over a month and I started actually trying to lose weight the day after I started them. Earlier this month though I switched to the Nuva Ring to see if I like it any better and I've lost 3 lbs since then. My Doc told me not to get the shot because it is the worst when it comes to women complaining of weight gain. I'm going to stay on the ring for another month and see if I continue to lose weight, if not i'm probably switching back to the pill. I'm just worried that the nuva ring is effecting my weight loss so i'm giving it a test run. lol The brand of pill I was taking is called Brevicon.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    I've been doing some research on the "Mireana IUD" Basically there is one common complaint which is: "Losing weigh is next to impossible when you are using the Mireana IUD as birth control. Just wondering if there are any MFP girls out there who have had a hard time losing weight while using this birth control method. Please let me know.

I'm looking into the mirena, and have been told that it likely to be much less of a problem in terms of weight loss than the oral contraceptive, and infinitely better than the implant or shot.
  • Please really look into the Mireana and research it yourself. I know there is always negative comments about anything on the internet, but it really does seem that there are thousands of women out there that have had major issues with the Mireana. I will leave it up to you to form your own opinion - -but please do look into it a bit more before your final decission.
  • I'm not sure about the Mireana but I got on the pill in mid Jan and lost 18lbs in just over a month and I started actually trying to lose weight the day after I started them. Earlier this month though I switched to the Nuva Ring to see if I like it any better and I've lost 3 lbs since then. My Doc told me not to get the shot because it is the worst when it comes to women complaining of weight gain. I'm going to stay on the ring for another month and see if I continue to lose weight, if not i'm probably switching back to the pill. I'm just worried that the nuva ring is effecting my weight loss so i'm giving it a test run. lol The brand of pill I was taking is called Brevicon.

Thanks for this info - really appeciate it.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Mirena uses hormones, and hormones effect different women in different ways. Unfortunately there's really no way of knowing how a certain hormone dose will effect you until you try it, which can be tricky with an IUD.

Why are you considering Mirena? If you don't really care if you're using something hormonal or not, there's another IUD - Paraguard - which does not use hormones, and therefore has no impact on weight loss (of course, if you go non-hormonal you lose the potential benefits of hormones. It's a delicate balance).
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I don't use Mirena but I do take Loestrin 24FE Birth control Pill and I've lost weight just fine on it.. Others on here have had major issues.

I think it is a very individual thing.. and you won't know how you do until you have the procedure done.
  • 916mom
    916mom Posts: 7
    I just got a Mirena IUD two weeks ago,I did not want to get it for several reasons but my Dr assured me that side effects were rare so far no issues ...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

The website says it's a side effect for fewer than 5% of users. And based on conversations I've had, this seems to be the case.

However, my own weight loss not only stalled, but reversed when I got Mirena. I was still eating healthy and exercising, but I regained 20 pounds and can't get it off. Mirena has the same hormone as the Depo shot.

(I was on the pill for 13 years and never had a weight problem that wasn't due to overeating and underexercising.)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Please really look into the Mireana and research it yourself. I know there is always negative comments about anything on the internet, but it really does seem that there are thousands of women out there that have had major issues with the Mireana. I will leave it up to you to form your own opinion - -but please do look into it a bit more before your final decission.

Dude, I don't normally pick apart spelling, but if you've done so much research and you're advising people on whether to get it and talking about how bad it is, you should at least spell it right. There is no "a" in it. Mirena.