Ayurveda Eating for your Dosha

Options
magdamccraven
magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
I've recently started eating for my Dosha. Does anyone out there practice this? I have been doing this for about 5 days and have noticed that my reflux has significantly decreased and I am sleeping better. My digestion seems improved as well.

I am interested in hearing your stories.

Replies

• nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Can you go into more detail about what exactly this is? How is eating for your Dosha different than what you were eating before? How do you know what your Dosha is and what you are supposed to eat for it? I read through the Wikipedia article on Ayurveda, and diet-wise it seems to just promote eating healthy--the same kinds of things a doctor or nutritionist would suggest.

And, I don't mean to criticize if it's working well for you, but Ayurvedic medicine seems pretty sketchy. I'm always skeptical of alternative medicine, because if it had been tested, subject to clinical trials, peer reviewed, and found to be beneficial, it would be called "medicine"--not "alternative medicine."
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have always been really interested in Ayurvedic medicine but haven't done much research on it.
    Bump just because I'm interested. :)
  • Mission2Me
    Mission2Me Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ayurveda has been around since what seems like forever. but I have been looking into finding an ayurvedic practitioner in my area. where did you find your list of things to eat for your dosha?
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    hei, I am from south india, and over here, dosha is just another fast food, usually junk too. may be you are eating some nutritious variety. in that case i would really like more details:) healhty eating!:)
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My mum did this for a bit to try and ease the pain from her arthritis. I think over all, she found it very helpful, but expensive and time consuming. Why should you do it? Because the food tastes amaaaaaaaazing!

More details would be rad (cos I'm too cheap to pay for a consult).
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    In Ayurveda, doshas are the functional intelligences within the body mind complex. These dynamic energies manifest in the body through their qualities, specific sites, and the active roles they play in orchestrating the processes that create and sustain the body. In other words, they are the energies that make things happen in the organism. Ultimately, any aspect related to metabolic function and its relationship to health and disease boils down to the harmonious actions of the three doshas.
    hei, I am from south india, and over here, dosha is just another fast food, usually junk too. may be you are eating some nutritious variety. in that case i would really like more details:) healhty eating!:)

Are you sure you are from South India?! What you are talking about appears to be a common breakfast food called 'dosa' a pancake like crepe made of rice and lentils batter commonly served with coconut chutney and sambar :smile:
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    masala-dosa.jpg
  • Mission2Me
    Options
    In Ayurveda, doshas are the functional intelligences within the body mind complex. These dynamic energies manifest in the body through their qualities, specific sites, and the active roles they play in orchestrating the processes that create and sustain the body. In other words, they are the energies that make things happen in the organism. Ultimately, any aspect related to metabolic function and its relationship to health and disease boils down to the harmonious actions of the three doshas.

Are you sure you are from South India?! What you are talking about appears to be a common breakfast food called 'dosa' a pancake like crepe made of rice and lentils batter commonly served with coconut chutney and sambar :smile:

I was wondering the same thing
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Sorry to be harsh, but it sounds like BS. Unless there is actual biology behind these theories, I'm going to have to call it out as pseudoscience.
    ayurveda has been around since what seems like forever. but I have been looking into finding an ayurvedic practitioner in my area. where did you find your list of things to eat for your dosha?

Just because something has been around forever doesn't mean that it's effective. From what I read on the Wikipedia page, it Ayurveda seems to promote healthy eating, yoga, and meditation, which I can get behind. But it also is based on pseudoscientific theories and uses treatments which are useless at best and dangerous at worst. I will stick to using a medical paradigm which is known to be effective and safe.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    masala-dosa.jpg

OMG YUMMMMMMMmmmm
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating for your dosha, at least regarding digestive function.

If you're farty, your dosha is vayu. Don't eat those foods that are windy. Have heartburn? You have pitta type in your dosha. Don't eat stuff that causes heartburn. etc.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options

The spelling of many 'ethnic' dishes (think Chinese Kung Po/Kung Pao/Kung Pow) differ depending on the region but they quite often refer to the same thing.
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great comments.
    To answer a few questions, I bought a book called "Ayurveda, Your Path to Wellness" and took the quiz inside to find out what Dosha I was. I then followed up with a woman at my local Natural Foods who uses this method of eating. She confirmed that she also believed me to be a Kapha.

I was able to purchase all of the things I needed to start using this plan including a couple of beginning yoga videos for under 100.00. I had to do some shopping around at different stores but we are in a small, rural area and a more urban setting might have it all in one store.

I still eat within my calories as I want to continue losing weight but have found that I am much less hungry on this plan. The food is primarily made up of grains and fresh produce with lots of spices and a small amount of cow's milk. It is more healthy than what I ate before and that was pretty healthy. There are no unsafe practices unless eating a large amount of ginger (3-4 tablespoons of fresh daily) is dangerous. It appears that just improves digestion due to its fibrous nature.

So far, I'm feeling better and going to stick with it. If anyone is interested, friend me. We can discuss our wins and fails with it.
    The hardest part for me has been giving up red meat. It isn't as bad as I had thought though. I even made steak for my family and only felt a little pang of envy. lol

Thanks again for the responses.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    should have mentioned this too...

as with anything not quite mainstream, there is a lot of garbage information, snake oil salesman and bogus stuff that serves only to relieve you of your money.

and doshas can change. people carrying excess weight are typically kapha...in fact i can't imagine a pitta or vayu carrying extra weight.
  • Mission2Me
    Options

Sorry to be harsh, but it sounds like BS. Unless there is actual biology behind these theories, I'm going to have to call it out as pseudoscience.

Just because something has been around forever doesn't mean that it's effective. From what I read on the Wikipedia page, it Ayurveda seems to promote healthy eating, yoga, and meditation, which I can get behind. But it also is based on pseudoscientific theories and uses treatments which are useless at best and dangerous at worst. I will stick to using a medical paradigm which is known to be effective and safe.

that is true, but apparently it has worked for centuries in their country and is working for many other people. and to me a ayurvedic doctor telling me what I should eat and shouldnt is better than getting prescribed a pill and sent on my way (yea my doctor did that). I would rather have something specific to my issues. My doctors are just like oh you are over weight I can give you diet pills....not happening. because I have always known that what I am eating has something to do with it. I have had weight issues since I was in the second grade. which made no sense. I was very active! and even when I got older cutting calories, running, nothing wuite worked well and I stayed sick all the time. What ayurveda talks about makes so much sense to me. I have been doing research on it and many other "diets" that believe everyone shouldnt be eating the same things. and have come to realize that is true for me as well.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    For those who are interested, someone started an "Ayurveda" group. If you're following Ayurveda, feel free to join us.
  • FitChicFab2013
    Options
    I've just started looking into Ayurveda and this thread sounds pretty positive. I used http://doshaquiz.chopra.com to figure out my Vata, Pitta and Kapha balance and just joined the Ayurveda group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4542-ayurveda
    Look forward to learning more and trying this out.
This discussion has been closed.