OA meetings when you're not spiritual/religious?

Options
So I've been thinking about going to an Overeater's Anonymous meeting for a while now, but after reading about the 12 steps and attending an online "meeting", I am more than a little uncomfortable with the religious part of it all...I don't "look to God for strength" or anything like that. I'm not sure if I'm agnostic or an atheist, but if it all boils down to that sort of thing, then I'm not sure it's for me. The OA website says the organization does not subscribe to any religious doctrine, but 7 out of the 12 steps reference God or a 'Higher Power'...?

Do I have it all wrong? I have some anxiety about discussing my issues with food with complete strangers, so I would just like to have someone's first-hand account of what goes on in OA meetings before going to one.

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Don't look for excuses. Whether you are religious or not, I don't think the higher power part is enough to make the program ineffective for you. When the higher power comes up, insert whatever you do or don't believe.

I've been to an OA meeting and it's just a group of people talking about their experiences.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Um, I'm not looking for excuses at all, just asking how integral the religious part is to finding the meetings useful/helpful being that I'm not spiritual, you can only improvise so much and I don't believe the "just go along with it." approach will work at all with me if it's not what I really believe deep down. Thanks for your input, I suppose.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I hear you :smile: - I have a friend in AA and the way they reconcile it is to define the higher power as the OA or AA group itself or substitute the word "nothing" for "higher power". I told them I can't get over that part myself but he says also that I am making excuses or letting it get in the way. I have been to about a dozen AA meetings with my friend and what they end up talking about has some but limited relation to religion, not sure if OA if the same or not. I went to one OA meeting but don't remember it being especially religious. I also decided it was not for me based on that meeting which they say you should not do, you need to go multiple times and try out different meetings before you make up your mind.
  • ChristinaOlliver
    ChristinaOlliver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've not been to a group meeting like this before so I can't specifically answer your question. All I can say is give it a try - if you go to one and decide you don't like it, then don't go back. If you really don't like it then walk out. At least you can say you gave it a go - what have you got to lose?!
  • MissouriRose
    MissouriRose Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a part of a different 12 step group, and believe me, you don't have to be religious or believe in what you've been taught "God" is.

A higher power can be any power greater than you on your own. It's all about learning that we are not all-powerful, we all need help, and that there is SOMETHING, anything, that can help us. Doesn't matter what you feel that is, as long as it's enough to give you some hope for the future.

Personally, I've learned to really work my own understanding of a power greater than myself and adopt that as the "God" of my understanding. And whatever it is that I believe can help me, whether it's the group/program, or love, or GOD = Good Orderly Direction, that's what I can look to for strength. :)

But the beauty of 12-step programs is that the steps are in a specific order for a reason. You don't have to have any sort of beliefs at all when you go in, you build them if/when you choose to work through the steps with a sponsor. You'll notice the first one doesn't say anything about God or a higher power. ;)
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a good option for your situation. I would find something that is not spiritually based to help you through. Referencing a "higher power" or "God" is relating the program to religion; like it or not. For me, I prefer finding my inner strength through willpower.
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have been to some of these meetings. It is not religion based. They ask you to look to your "higher power" and that can be a friend/family member or just where you look for extra strength/support. It can be whatever you feel is your "higher power". The meetings are usually about sharing experiences with one another or your struggles. It is not only for overeaters, there are also people suffering from bulimia and even anorexia that can be part of the meetings. It helps you see other peoples struggles, how they deal with them, and more support for you.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I tried Al-Anon after my dad died as a direct result of alcoholism. It didn't work out for me for the same reasons. I prefer to find ways to draw strength from myself, not some outside source that I don't believe in.