Mexican food?

Options
linz1125
linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
So tonight is my first night going out to dinner while on this plan. Right now I'm trying to at least stay within the reccommended 2000 calories per day. After I eat my lunch and a snack today I will have about 1,200 calories left. So my question is what would be a good choice at a Mexican restaraunt to eat that would be within my range ( i know it's a pretty big range, but I do plan on at least 1 margarita...) and from my calculations it's going to be about 260 calories.

so what would be some good choices to eat at a mexican restaraunt where the nutritional information is not avaliable? i already know to try and stay away from the cheesy stuff. I was thinking something like a chicken fajita so I can control the portion sizes.....what do you all think?

Replies

• genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    you can also ask if they have wheat tortillas. Skip the cheese and sour cream!
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think chicken fajitas are a great choice!! Just watch the sodium!
    skip the cheese, sc, guac and beans.......doesn't leave much does it?? :cry:
    have a wonderful time out!!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to order (what you usually like) and just eat half of it. Ask for a box right when you get your food and put half of it away so that it won't be on your plate. If you do it that way you should be able to have whatever you want! Also be careful how many chips and salsa you eat (thats always my problem at mexican places!)
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

No, no no. Don't skip the guac and beans!!! Yes, they are a little higher calorie but have lots of fiber and the avocado in the guac has good fats that help your heart and actually can help you lose weight. maybe go light on the cheese and skip or go light on the sour cream though. Chicken fajitas are an excellent choice! The tortillas can really add up fast though - so maybe only use 1 and eat the rest with toppings with a fork - your choice though. Enjoy your dinner :drinker:
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    whatever you order just ask them to put half in a to go box right away so that you're not tempted to over eat :-D
  • red_july
    red_july Posts: 13
    Options
    there's always a grilled fish or chicken choice. If it's not listed as being grilled, just ask them to change it. Using lime juice to season is fantastic and if you swap the refried beans for black beans, you're golden. Remember portion control and drink plenty of water. Also, the tortilla soup is always a good choice. Oh and enjoy the salsa, pico de gallo, and fresh lettuce and tomato that comes as garnish.. The waitstaff can always bring out more. Try corn tortillas over flour and if you must drink: try a low cal beer over something full of sugar.

enjoy!
  • fiftyandfit
    Options

No, no no. Don't skip the guac and beans!!! Yes, they are a little higher calorie but have lots of fiber and the avocado in the guac has good fats that help your heart and actually can help you lose weight. maybe go light on the cheese and skip or go light on the sour cream though. Chicken fajitas are an excellent choice! The tortillas can really add up fast though - so maybe only use 1 and eat the rest with toppings with a fork - your choice though. Enjoy your dinner :drinker:

was thinking of foregoing refried beans due to the lg amount of lard not healthy black beans!! lol..........and most of the places i go the guac is mixed with enuf mayo for any army! hopefully ur mex restaurant makes it the right way, avocado (great mufa!) tom's, cilantro.........ok..........don't know about anyone else, but i'm getting hungry!! :tongue:
  • Nlongenecker
    Nlongenecker Posts: 765
    Options
    I like eating some chips and salsa (keeping it under control) so I get a taco salad (no shell) wicth grilled chicken and use salsa as my dressing.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your suggestions! I went with the fajitas and I was able to stay in my calorie range. Thanks so much!
  • fiftyandfit
    Options
    Glad you had a wonderful time!!!

:drinker:
  • bitty_401
    bitty_401 Posts: 75
    Options
    Next time look at children's menu.They usually have the same menu but in small portions.Check it out.And you'll be surprised when you see how much less calorie intake are on those.Good luck!!!
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    glad you had great time!!!