Too much protein?

Options
I've been writing in my food diary and it has picked up that i'm eating -10% too much protein.

Will this affect my weight loss?

Replies

• maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I often go over on protein and was wondering the same thing. I've been working out pretty vigorously, so I've been shrugging it off. I'd rather go over on protein that fats or carbs and am staying within my calorie range.

Anyways, sorry this is not at all helpful. :) But I'm curious to hear answers, as well! The internet seems to think it's not a majorly big deal, but if anyone knows more about this, I'd be interested.
  • DRees10
    DRees10 Posts: 16
    Options
    I strive to go over my protein, it has so many positive advantages when losing weight / working out. I found this website which explains it quite well: http://epathj.over-blog.com/article-advantages-of-proteins-to-lose-weight-100295001.html
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Like some of the other nutrients in MFP such as water, fibre and vitamins, protein is a target rather than a limit, so you should strive to meet it rather than stay under it.

MFP has it set quite low - a lot of people prefer to set their macro ratios to 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat to ensure they get enough, especially if they're strength training.

You can get into more depth and calculate your requirement by weight, but don't get scared by the body-builders eating a gram per pound of bodyweight! There's a good overview here:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

So don't panic, and well done for getting a healthy amount in!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Firstly 10% is nothing - all the figures you record in your diary are estimates, so its best to allow for a margin of error, say plus or minus 5 or 10 %.

Secondly, the default levels of protein on MFP are quite low. Unless your intake is way in excess of 150g or 200g per day, you're fine.
  • jennifer0309
    Options
    Thank you all :)

It's nice to have the input on this website.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I found the default levels of protein on MFP are quite low as well
    so I changed mine to 30% and carbs and fat to 35%
    it's more balanced that way

also...your body needs protein to help repair the damages done to your muscles when exercising