Third shift

Good evening-I work third shift, and I can't seem to get any kind of routine down. I don't have any ambition and all I do is sleep. Ugh, does anyone have thoughts, ideas, or suggestions??? Thank you

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    I work a swing shift and it is tough, it takes a long time for your body to adjust. I would suggest that you set yourself a bed time just like if you were working days. then make time to get some walking or exercise in. avoid excessive caffine and stimualnts they will just mess you up on your sleep. above all try to stay healthy.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Good evening-I work third shift, and I can't seem to get any kind of routine down. I don't have any ambition and all I do is sleep. Ugh, does anyone have thoughts, ideas, or suggestions??? Thank you

i work 3rd shift and it is definitely is better than 2nd
    i don't know what kind of suggestions to give you

my diary is public if u need ideas there

only you can find your ambition and motivation

how much sleep do u get a day???
    what is your schedule???
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    I too work the 3rd shift. It's a tough one on the system and to get routes down. I still struggle with it after 4 years. It's up to you to force yourself to keep a normal schedule. Setting bed times and sticking to them helps. Black out curtains, help.with sleep.

The world does not understand third shifters.
  • ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    I also work third shift. You will have to try and find your "routine", but once you do - stick to it. I'll give you an idea of what I do.

I get out of work at 9am & most days I'm in bed by 1030am. I get up anywhere from 3pm to 6pm, take the dog for a walk, eat some oatmeal or grab a protein bar (do chores, etc). I lay back down until 8 or 9, workout and be to work by 1030pm.

Some people work out when they get home in the morning. You will have to find what is right for you.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    I've been working nights for almost 5 years now and I have to agree that the most important thing is having a routine. Believe me it can get hard, and may mean you miss out some things sometimes, but in the end it's only you that can help yourself. I get out at 7am, straight home to bed, and am up around 2:30. I work out right away and have the rest of the evening to do as I need/please. Around 7ish I wind down and try to get a nap before work. Even if I don't fall asleep, just relaxing and being quiet helps. Working overnights is by no means easy but as you can see by my and other MFPals' tickers, it is possible to get this done! You can do this!
  • deannabskinny
    deannabskinny Posts: 8 Member
    i also work third shift ...i get home around 7:30 and lay down...my husband gets up around noon at which time i wake up (not on purpose..).. i try to get a workout in but lately its just so hard as i wanna go back to sleep when he leaves at 3...then i sleep till like 8 and dont have time to work out or am just too tired..maybe too much sleep? it has been a year and im still not use to it...i have not gained but i can tell the lacking in the gym....i was a 5 - 6 workouts a week