This Is The News We've All Been Waiting For!

Options
SueGeer
SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
Article on Sky News website this morning:

http://news.sky.com/home/strange-news/article/16196925

Chocolate lovers no longer have to fear the flab as eating more can help you keep slim, new research claims.
A study has found that despite boosting calorie intake, regular chocolate consumption is related to lower body mass index (BMI).

The effect is modest but greater than can be explained by chance, say the US researchers who took account of influencing factors such as overall fat consumption and exercise.

BMI relates height and weight and is the standard measurement used to assess levels of obesity.

The good news about chocolate emerged after scientists screened a group of 972 men and women with an average age of 57 for a study of statins - cholesterol-lowering drugs.

Among other diet and lifestyle questions, participants were asked: "How many times a week do you consume chocolate?"

Chocolate is known to contain plant chemicals called polyphenols that combat heart disease and may influence metabolism.

The researchers suspected they might, to some extent at least, off-set the unwelcome effects of high saturated fat levels in chocolate bars and sweets.

No account was taken of different types of chocolate, some of which contain more healthy elements than others.

The results showed that chocolate was not only "calorie neutral" but actually appeared to make people slimmer.

Participants who ate chocolate on more days of the week than average were statistically likely to have a lower BMI than those who did not.

This was despite the fact that people who ate more chocolate did not consume fewer calories overall, or take more exercise.

Study leader Dr Beatrice Golomb, from the University of California at San Diego, said: "Our findings appear to add to a body of information suggesting that the composition of calories, not just the number of them, matters for determining their ultimate impact on weight.

"In the case of chocolate, this is good news - both for those who have a regular chocolate habit, and those who may wish to start one."

Hooray!!! More choccy on the menu! :laugh: :laugh:

Replies

• coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    what about cake? they say anything about cake?
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Well in that case, I'll have a chocolate bar a day! :love:
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    That actually is interesting that calorie composition appears to matter. (I would hypothesise that it should)

Can anyone cite any journal articles supporting this? Particularly experimental studies where the majority of calories are carbs vs straight sugar vs fats?
  • linscave
    linscave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it. I start a chocolate Fast yesterday and then find out that Chocolate will help me get slim. Ah well I may as well go and have a bar of chocolate rather than that apple! :happy: :wink:
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    what about cake? they say anything about cake?

this
  • sooznd
    sooznd Posts: 5
    Options
    Do they need more people to volunteer for studies? Sign me up! I firmly believe dark chocolate is and should be a major food group, especially for post memopausal women everywhere!
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it. I start a chocolate Fast yesterday and then find out that Chocolate will help me get slim. Ah well I may as well go and have a bar of chocolate rather than that apple! :happy: :wink:

Nah... Think we should just wait for the rebuttal study/ article. LOL. Or maybe they mean the chocolate minus the sugar in those bars.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Is Sky news owned by Fox?:laugh:
  • degantt
    degantt Posts: 8
    Options
    So now I can add some chocolate back into my diest . . . . What more can you ask!!:happy:
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    MFP should declare this day a holiday
  • shonora
    shonora Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate nearly every day as a snack I just look for treats with 99 calories or less there is loads to choose from I'm still loosing weight and I don't have to deny myself anything. Everything is good on moderation
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Love chocolate! Thanks for the info :)
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Is Sky news owned by Fox?:laugh:

^^^^ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Sue, I think I love you a little bit. :heart:
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've never understood people's obsession with chocolate, it just doesn't do it for me.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!!

If there was anything bad about it in that article I've just skimmed over it and read what I wanted. Although Ideally that article would have been about crisps which I prefer....there must be something good about crisps.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Had go and buy some chocolate to Celebrate ♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥