Upping my calories

Options
korsicash
korsicash Posts: 770 Member
I have been seeing a lot of great posts and wonderful information about how upping your calories can help you loose weight. I want to try it. Problem: I have been eating 1200 to 1300 for so long that I have learned how to cook without butter, oils, and major fats. I can make massively filling meals that hit all my nutrition needs and fill my hunger for between 150 calories and 350 calories. I am comfortable and do not feel hunger pangs. When I do, I eat something. I have stalled out on my weight loss with 8 to 12 pounds left to loose. I have upped cardio and added some weights. My question is what does everyone eat that helps bring up the calories without bringing up the fat. I just spent 10 yrs in a puffy suit I couldn't take off and I don't want to go back there. Paula Deans love of butter rivaled mine and I have made so many healthy changes. So if you wonderful MFP people could give me some healthy ideas as to what you eat that helps that would be great!

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    To me there is a difference between good fats and bad fats - olive oil, avocado etc. will add fat, yes, but they are still healthy in moderation.

I hear a lot of talk about peanut butter being good to increase your calorie intake, but I never have enough cals left at the end of a day to try it, lol! :blushing:

4558573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You need some healthy fats in your diet to function. You don't need to avoid fat like the plague. You don't need to have a super low fat diet unless you had high cholesterol and you're not exercising. Almonds have healthy fats in them and 24 little pieces have 170 calories, so definitely add those to your diet. Avocados are good as well but the calories depend on how much you eat. And for raisins, the ones I buy have 130 calories for every 1/4th of a cup so give those a try as well.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Heyya, I used this method:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method

Message if you have questions, or join in discussions in the group :)

Also, fats aren't what will make you gain weight - you could, in theory, have a diet loaded in fats or all sorts and provided its cals in < cals out, you will still lose. There are the other health issues from excess saturated fats that would really stop you from doing that sort of diet.

Take a look at my diary if you want, I think its open to public, or add me if you prefer.

Consider that you need to fuel your body enough for it to cope with the "shred fat" part of the equation and still do the basic functions.
    - I upped from 1300 --> 1450 --> 1700 over several months (hit 1700 after reading the post I mentioned in the link), and since then I've been losing in measurements, although not in weight but because I'm already within the ideal weight range for my height / build, its more about re-shaping the body. So don't forget that defnition is in some ways even more important than sheer numbers from the scale (just consider some of those athletes that qualify as overweight/obese in BMI but carry 6% body fat).
  • korsicash
    Options
    I should add that I do eat PB, nutella and occasionally use olive oil or mayo. They are just not staples in the diet. I will try adding some nuts that is a great idea!!!! Thanks everyone. I am more worried about both sides of the family and the heart disease they all carry. I have always had low cholesterol even when I was heavy. Turning 30 this year and this is when in my family the health point turns and cholesterol shoots up, obesity shoots up and then in like 15 yrs they all have heart attacks. I am going to be the different one! I do a lot of cardio and just started some light lifting hoping to get into more soon.
  • RhondaBagley
    RhondaBagley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I would have you increase your strength training to twice a week. And,according to a dietician I work with, when upping calories it only needs to be 100 more. The problem with platuea is water fills the space where you have lost fat. You then need to increase your cardio to 45-60 minutes at one time. After a while you should see a large drop. Plataeu will make r break you. Up your Cal's and cardio u til you get thru it...which you will:glasses:
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The problem with platuea is water fills the space where you have lost fat.

say whaaat?
  • korsicash
    Options
    I have upped strength to 2x to 3x a week. I so a sculpt and tone thing. I try to hit cardio 45 to 80 minutes 5 to 7 times a week. If I do the sculpt and tone I do 20 minutes of cardio. I upped my intake from 1200 to 1300 to 1400 to 1500. Just some days having a problem getting in the last 300 calories. I have been on this journey for a little under a year this close to goal a plateau will not break my resolve!
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have upped strength to 2x to 3x a week. I so a sculpt and tone thing. I try to hit cardio 45 to 80 minutes 5 to 7 times a week. If I do the sculpt and tone I do 20 minutes of cardio. I upped my intake from 1200 to 1300 to 1400 to 1500. Just some days having a problem getting in the last 300 calories. I have been on this journey for a little under a year this close to goal a plateau will not break my resolve!

Protein drinks may be helpful if you're struggling to match cals, and protein = good for muscles.

Also:
    The problem with platuea is water fills the space where you have lost fat.

Lol. :laugh:

No offense, but I've done nutrition as part of my undergraduate degree and water has nothing to do with fat... Unless you meant something else, but as I'm reading that makes no physiological sense!

a plateau is either:
    1) cal in = cal out
    2) muscle gains cancel out sheer scale number changes
    3) not eating enough to promote fat breakdown / muscle growth
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    43 years old here, under went the same thing, lost those last few lbs by upping my calories.

A few nutritionally sound foods I added were quinoa and sweet potatoes with dinner and a snacks during the day, like a yogurt and some fruit.

A protein drink after exercise is a necessity for me.

For me, the hardest part about eating 1200 calories is the whole wrapping my head around it deal. When I finally did and started seeing the results I was astounded. When I hit my goal last week I actually got off and back on the scales several times.

I took my profile pic last Friday.
  • RhondaBagley
    Options
    That is what a registered dietician told me!
    Why must people be so mean? Could you not have replied without the sarcasm? Is not that what adults do?
  • RhondaBagley
    Options
    By any chance have you been tracking your body fat vs lean mass along the way? Remember the scale is only a total but does not show how that number is distributed.:smile:
  • korsicash
    Options
    I have and by the body fat percentage I am in the healthy range, by BMI I am one point over weight, by waist to hip measurement I am over weight and by waist to height measurement I am healthy. (honestly I don't ever remember a time when I had a lot of side pull in on the waist even when I was 120 lbs as a late teen) So looking overall I am within supposed healthy range. I would like to see 15 more pounds gone but understand if it is only 8 as I do have a larger frame. I would like to tone into one pant size smaller I am wearing a 6 to an 8 right now depending on cut and if I go for teen jeans it is a 9.