eating turkey..

Options
2»

Replies

• Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't have the time to make a whole turkey, and I've only recently discovered turkey is lower calorie. I've been using the deli-meat but I know it's high in sodium. Wonder if I can buy turkey breast somewhere, no additives..
    go to the grocery and buy an already cooked rotisserie turkey breast., take it home, slice it up, let it cool, and slap it in a zip lock baggie. At least the grocery stores by me usually have rotisserie turkey (Giant)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Turkey. I just can't eat turkey. The only time it smells good is if you are making Thanksgiving dinner. I used to tolerate turkey. Now, to me, it smells like something gone bad when you brown ground turkey or other small pieces. I am a fair cook and I still had trouble making white meat in a way that's not dry and tasteless. Maybe it's the texture. I'll pass on the turkey.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I love turkey brats. They are my favorite lunch!
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Butterball sells a frozen turkey breast. There may be some preservatives in it. I just bought one yesterday to make this week but haven't worked out the nutrition information yet. It did not look to be too high in sodium though.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    ... I find turkey to be quite dry so marinate then or have some kind of roux or gravy with them....

I brine turkeys overnight before they go in the oven or on the smoker. It makes them really moist all the way through.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I didn't know turkey was a better choice than chicken. I love turkey. We are going to go get a turkey bird tomorrow and cook it up! Must have protein!
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    ... I find turkey to be quite dry so marinate then or have some kind of roux or gravy with them....

I brine turkeys overnight before they go in the oven or on the smoker. It makes them really moist all the way through.

doing a brine is the only way to go!!!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-turkey-breast-roasted-meat-only-without-skin_f-ZmlkPTE2NzE5OQ.html

Plug in the 1oz portion...

I had 6oz for my lunch..

BEAUCOUP PROTEIN FIX, BABY!!!!
  • sjohnny
    Options

doing a brine is the only way to go!!!!
    True dat. I've been doing them that way for several years now. And I owe it all to Alton Brown.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    i've never heard of brining, can someone give me the info please?
  • sjohnny
    Options
    What I do is put a 4 quart saucepan full of water on the stove and dump in a bunch of kosher salt and bring it to a boil. I put in other seasonings too depending on what I feel like putting in there (that's how most of my cooking goes and why it's all so awesome) - often it's a little bit of sugar, peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice, cloves, etc. Let it cool to room temperature. I then put my thawed turkey in a trash bag (clean new trash bags are preferred) and set it in a cooler. Then I pour the brine into the bag and then fill the bag with water and ice and tie it shut. I put a probe thermometer in the cooler and shut the lid. If the temperature hits 40 degrees I add ice until it's under that. I leave it in there overnight or for up to 24 hours. When it's good and brined I take it out and rinse it off and prep it for the oven or the smoker.

Works for chicken too.