Hello, I'm Kat

Options
Hello,

My name is Kat. I am 21 5'2 and weigh at 231.5 as of this morning. I have always been heavier, and so has most of my family. Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I actually ate decent and maintained it. I am generally good during the day, but have a huge problem of Binge eating. I have had an eating disorder for 7 years ( Binge and Purge) though since I am not skinny most people wouldn't assume. I have never wanted to look like a stick, I just want to learn how to properly take care of myself. Not think about food more than other stuff, in good and bad ways. It should not be the focus of my day, and it is. I did low carb a couple times within the past 6 months and saw a quick little difference but my fiance and I got bored with it ( plus it was holiday timing). I want to go about this healthy, and as frustrating as it may be to wait to see it fall off when it happily stays on it's what I want to do.

Over the past 6 months I have been loving to Cook and love the concept of a Garden ( it was too cold out before). This DOES include healthy cooking, I love to do it. I know how to lose weight, I know how to eat healthy it's having that motivation to do so. I know why I want it, it's almost like I'm a deer in headlights. If anyone has any help, that would be amazing. I tried the Shirataki noodles last night and personally I Loved them. I have been taking fruit to work with me, cutting out sodas, and waking up in the morning realizing I don't want to be skinny I want to be healthy.

Thank You for whoever took the time to read this.

Replies

• joannapalmieri
    Options
    I have been dieting all my life but right now I can't seem to lose this 30 lbs fast enough. It has made me very depressed because nothing fits and I don't like to see anyone. Can you give me to advise?
  • gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    Options
    Hi Kat I'm Gen. Sounds like you're off to a great start. I stay motivated by adding motivated friends on here to my list. We keep each other going and balanced. I love to look at my friends food diaries gives me good ideas when I get stuck in a rut with eating the same old foods over and over and we swap recipes etc.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

You can do this!
  • James4784
    James4784 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Kat,

I know the feeling, I don't have an eating disorder but i do have huge problems at night when i am at home and with the quantity of food i eat. This is my second attempt at MFP and hopefully it will be more successful than the last!

I have sent you a friend request and hopefully we can help motivate each other!

Take care :)
  • Kbeverley40
    Options
    hi I joined just a few days ago and I am finding it useful so far. i agree with the others who have commented, that it is great to have the support on here along with the recipes and other things. Its much more fun than doing it on your own. Good luck and keep with it.
    K
  • tblgirl04
    tblgirl04 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello Gen
    Thank You. I know it sounds silly because it's over the internet, but I still feel shy about talking about it. You can look at other peoples food Diaries? This website has super powers, I swear each time I click something another option comes up :).

Mangorabbit-
    Hello and Thank You! :)
  • tblgirl04
    tblgirl04 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank You everyone :)
  • locolew
    locolew Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just keep waking up wanting to be healthy, not skinny as your mantra.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Kat, It is smart that you recognize that you need to be healthy and not skinny. Skinny is not necessarily healthy as magazines will have you believe. This is a great first step and being able to discuss is terrific. I wish you lots of luck on your journey, you are still very young and can get yourself healthy in a hurry if you do it right. Be patient and don't give up. Look around you, get healthy and enjoy everything.

Chai
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hi Kat! Welcome to MFP! Congrats on taking these steps toward a healthy life! You can do this! You can add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • tradingfoods
    tradingfoods Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi Kat,
    I know what you mean, I never want to be skinny either, but I always have had a weight problem. Actually I would go days and eat very little and gained worse than ever. I just made up my mind one day I didn't want to live the rest of my life this way. I was never a sweet junkie but did like my sodas and starchy veggies that I grew up on. Cream taters corn and beans from garden good cornbread and fried foods. You know I don't ever feel like one to tell someone how to loose weight I guess I am still trying to get my mind to realize I am actually loosing and it's staying off so far. You know it's the best thing I have ever done for myself in my life. No it's not easy but it's not as hard as I thought it was going to be. Years ago you went without or eat one certain food over and over ect..... I am just saying this is what worked and is working for me. I had to start eating and doing it right. I eat my 3 meals a day, and 3 snacks. I first prayed about it and told the Lord I would give him praise and credit for giving me the will power and want to to keep going. I started around the middle of Sept. and have lost 75 pounds. I first started with water water water, no sodas or sweet tea any more. I never thought I could do that and after a week I don't want them any more. I try to keep my calories around 1600 to 1200 some days I do others I may splurge a little. The main thing is knowing it's a lifestyle change and if you mess up or over do start right back the next meal. I also don't diet I trade foods, for example if I go to kfc I get a piece of grilled chicken breast instead of the extra chrispy and for side get green beans and slaw instead of cream taters and corn. I leave off the bread. I went through the house and got rid of all white stuff, it turns to sugar. I got wheat noodles, but don't eat pasta much, also wheat crackers and wheat bread. Just start out trading things don't go without and it's fun to see all the calories you will save. I work around food all the time and i don't want people not to eat around me. so if they bring in a box of pizza or doughnuts I will take a good sniff of it and hand it back and say that's good enough for me. I know I have had all the foods I used to love all my life and it got me in terrible. so I don't say I am not having any sweets if I want something sweet i will eat a 100 calories snack of cookies ect.... I eat fruit too now and things like that instead of a candy bar. I really really sit there and told myself and others for years that I couldn't do without my sweet tea and starchy veggies but I can and I really don't miss them. I am feeling so much better now, and I know when I reach my goal weight I can eat them again but in moderation, if I want them then. If I am where we have something like that I may eat a teaspoon or two and then I am ok. after 60 pound loss I have added walking, I wasn't able to do that before. Just know it's a lifestyle change and not over night and don't always go by scales because they are up and down and you may be loosing inches instead of pounds. Just start out with small changes, like your doing. Hang in there even when you hit the plataues and slow times. praying you will have great success on your journey. Hope this helps you a little, have a great week.
  • tradingfoods
    tradingfoods Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting all my life but right now I can't seem to lose this 30 lbs fast enough. It has made me very depressed because nothing fits and I don't like to see anyone. Can you give me to advise?
    hi don't get down on yourself i do that too but it will get you know where , just get started take it one day at a time. we are all given a brand new day each morning to do what we want . It a good day to start by feeling good about yourself and count your blessings shake off the depression, and just start over. You can do it I know you can. good luck
  • gin_gin
    Options
    Hello Gen
    Thank You. I know it sounds silly because it's over the internet, but I still feel shy about talking about it. You can look at other peoples food Diaries? This website has super powers, I swear each time I click something another option comes up :).

Mangorabbit-
    Hello and Thank You! :)

YES you can look at others food diaries if they have them open to the public, mine is open for everyone on my friend's list to see
  • gin_gin
    Options
    sorry for the repost fingers are ahead of my brain this morning lol
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi Kat!

Add me if you like! :) What a great start! MFP has been really helpful for me! :)

(edited) My diary is open to public too! :)
  • jac1967123
    jac1967123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hi Kat,

your doint great to learn to cook and cook healthy is a great start food prepared from fresh ingredients is so much better for you good luck in your journey.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi-- keep logging on to this site. Find a good group of friends--and don't add too many or it becomes too impersonal :) A HUGE suggestion I have for you.. and it really works for me. If the evening is your "tough time"--when you eat more. Count your calories differently. Ok.... try to track with me here. I have 1200 calories allocated to me each day. For today's log I add Dinner from last night (anything after 5pm). Lets say that was 700 calories. I have 500 calories left for the day today. Not alot of calories.. so, I know that I can take a 20 minute walk and get another 100 calories.. and now I have 600 calories left for today. Bfast, lunch, snacks. Not too bad. By logging this way , I also have the opportunity to do some excercising to "earn" more calories.

When I excercise, if it is after 5pm it goes on the next day, along with the logging of my food.

Does that make sense? try it. It was a WW suggestion, and I thought it was silly.. but, it was actually very very helpful.

Good luck to you. Keep logging on. Keep logging food. You WILL lose ;) and win!
  • whutzup1
    whutzup1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi Kat, welcome to MFP, I know how you feel about knowing how to eat right and to get healthy but sometimes we let ourself go and it's well I will start tomorrow and before we know it we are out of control! I have had to retrain my self that it's about be healthy and fit not what the scale reads. I have stayed motivated by working out.. currently I am doing the c25k and Jillian's 30 day shred it helps to have a good workout because I always think twice about what I'm eating. I tell myself I didn't sweat for an hour to eat fast food and chips. Everyone on here is very supportive and check out the different post for motivation and before and after pics. Good luck take 1 day at a time.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Take one day at a time and set mini goals that are achievable in a realistic amount of time. If you lose only 1 pound or 1 inch off your waistline it's one less than you had before. I had to learn this the hard way I used to weigh 190 and I got up to 257. I tried to diet lots of times and didn't stick to it cause I was rushing it I wanted to lose it all in one day and be back in the shape I was in before. I cook alot of meals from the Biggest Loser cookbooks. The food is very tasty and filling and the portions are big enough sometimes I can't finish the entire meal. They have some nice light desert ideas and every recipe has nutritional info on the bottom of the page. I will also drink a can of diet pop if I get a sugar craving that doesn't go away. It helps the craving for me without spiking my blood sugar and making me want to snack all day long. I drink lots of water it helps me feel full. These seem to be working well for me. When I get a urge to cheat I think about how crappy I'm going to feel after I eat something or how much better I will feel if I work out instead of sitting on the couch. Good luck :)