Cardio alternates for when it's cold

Options
I really like to run outside for cardio, but not so much when it's cold out, so when I woke up to 28 degrees this morning I decided to stay inside. I don't belong to a gym right now because I'm trying to save some money, so sometimes it's hard to know what to do if i don't go outside. Does any one know any good cardio work that people can do in the home? After a quick Google search I used this interval workout: http://www.girl-heroes.com/2009/01/12/20-minute-interval-cardio-workout/

I'd love to hear more suggestions - it looks like it's going to be cold again later this week! Thanks. :)

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    well, I would say 'man' up and get your butt outside personally. Think about it, you burn a wee bit of extra calories when it is cold out.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    exercise bike ftw.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I really like to run outside for cardio, but not so much when it's cold out, so when I woke up to 28 degrees this morning I decided to stay inside. I don't belong to a gym right now because I'm trying to save some money, so sometimes it's hard to know what to do if i don't go outside. Does any one know any good cardio work that people can do in the home? After a quick Google search I used this interval workout: http://www.girl-heroes.com/2009/01/12/20-minute-interval-cardio-workout/

I'd love to hear more suggestions - it looks like it's going to be cold again later this week! Thanks. :)

I can dig. Running in the cold hurts my lungs.

Check out Crossfit - there are some killer workouts that don't need a lot of space or equipment. Great cardio and strength workout.
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    About 30 degrees when I ran this morning. It's all about attitude and layering. If you absolutely just can't make it out the exercise bike is a great idea, if you have the ceiling jumping rope is good as well.
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options
    I went out this morning at 530 to a raging snowstorm. Tried to run, lasted about 5 minutes until I turned into a 90km north wind and said screw it! Came home, jumped rope for 5 x 3min sets and then did a kettlebell Manmaker exercise for 12 mins. Heart rate was at 80 to 90% for the whole thing. Worked up a great sweat and was toasted at the end. Not as pleasant or mellowing as going for a run, but wow the weather was just too, too bad!

So get a jump rope and a kettlebell. Whole thing will cost you about $30 and will give you a great cardio or HIIT workout if you want.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started this winter, personally, I dont like temps above 10C (50F) for running... It gets to be so mug work: which shirt, sunscreen, how do I carry a water bottle, where do I put my phone without pockets, do I need a hat, etc etc etc. in the cold, I it a shirt and running jacket, can put my phone in it and am good to go, hat and mitts of course too...
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I hate running in the cold, too. My teeth used to ache. A treadmill or exercise bicycle would be best. After that, jumping rope and calisthenics.
  • shy7759
    shy7759 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jumping rope(my favorite!:heart: ), running up and down stairs, workout dvds (try p90x or go to walmart and get some less expensive workout discs) or invest in a wii fit. cant go wrong with videogames ;)
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There are videos online here also http://www.bodyrock.tv/
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    jump rope. stairs.
    when there is snow on the ground I try to do something like that indoors.

But if it's not snowing or raining, get outside and run hill sprints for 20 minutes.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I use my elliptical and Leslie Sansone videos, by the way she is on facebook and videos are free there :)
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I hula hoop inside with a weighted hoop.
  • christyd4
    christyd4 Posts: 191
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's walking videos are great. I use a 5 mile video that I am adding to the end of my ST workout each day. After about 2 miles you are sweating!
  • amie0724
    amie0724 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    running in the cold is good ! I ran by the lake in a t shirt when it was almost zero with wind chill . The beauty about running in the cold is that your body tempurture warms up , so u dont feel the cold . The only thing you need to watch for are your lungs, sometimes with the breathing they may get cold and you may cough . It is okay though , nothing bad will happen . good luck , stop making excuses and get out and runnnnn !
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    jumping rope

you can do intervals as well
    warm up
    go 30sec as fast as possible and then 90 slowly, you can powerwalk for 90 sec in place if jumping rope feels like too much
    repeat 8 times
    strech

hell of a workout in 20 minutes
  • Stephyshoes
    Stephyshoes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Embrace the cold, don't let Mother Nature push you around! :happy:

You'd be surprised how quickly you warm up even when it's a little chilly outside (I'm a crazy Canuck who runs outdoors all year 'round, if you're dressed properly running in -35C weather can be very enjoyable) the only thing guaranteed to keep me indoors is freezing rain

Otherwise lots of good suggestions in the previous posts.