starving after working out!! Help!!!

2»

Replies

• Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 204 Member
    EAS Myoplex Protein Shake :-)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    I drink a chocolate protein shake after exercise, if I do not, I have the munchies just as if I had smoked some wacky backy.

I was drinking one with soy protein, now I drink one with whey protein, the one with whey keeps me much fuller for way longer. I also heard (from the pharmacist at Costco) it is the best one for your body to repair itself after a work out.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Much to poweraid and gateraid and etc etc sugar-drinks-disguised-as-healthy-drinks-maker's dismay, I read an article that said drinking chocolate milk after a tough work out is the best refueling thing. And it's yummy. :love:
  • lrgirl81
    lrgirl81 Posts: 14
    Have you tried budgeting enough calories for a post-workout lowfat chocolate milk? It is a good source of protien for your tired muscles and would satisfy your chocolate craving too.
  • jorowling
    jorowling Posts: 54 Member
    I too work out at night, sometimes quite late but I have found that if I have a protein shake afterwards....no more hunger!! Fills me up til the next morning. :)
  • You are probably not as hungry as you are thirsty. Alot of people get mixed signals. Try drinking a couple of big glasses of water after your workout and see if that doesn't quench you...

^^ This as long as you are getting enough protein during the day!! If you still feel hungry after the water than eat, our bodies are pretty good at telling us when we need food. I usually have a protein shake after my workout and water (I drink 2 bottles during my workout). I am always super hungry the day after a huge workout:) I always say my stomach is like a bottomless pit on those days.

Don't forget your body needs fuel to function properly, maybe it's time to up the cals a bit:)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    I would drink a low-fat chocolate milk - filling and delicious, and an 8-ounce container (like the Horizon Organic ones) is only 150 calories and something like 8 grams of protein :)
  • PROTEIN! Find a chocolate protein drink you love and drink one after a workout. Then drink lots of water after that. Your chocolate beast will be silenced and your muscles/tummy will be happy! I'm a huge fan of Body Fortress from Walmart! Tastes like chocolate pudding and has tons of protein in it! Give it a try it's affordable too! (Can be found in the pharmacy weight loss section) Good luck!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    eat-food.png
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    You are probably not as hungry as you are thirsty. Alot of people get mixed signals. Try drinking a couple of big glasses of water after your workout and see if that doesn't quench you...

This.

I've also went ahead and added an extra 100 calories to my goal to help if water doesn't help.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 615 Member
    Without knowing your diary settings, i.e. lose 1lb/wk or 2lbs/wk, it's hard to say what may be the culprit. As already mentioned, I would guess that, overall, you aren't eating enough.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    I too work out at night, sometimes quite late but I have found that if I have a protein shake afterwards....no more hunger!! Fills me up til the next morning. :)
    I make mine with FF milk and fruit. I keep baggies in the freezer with precut fruit that I can just toss in. Also you should try to eat at least your BMR every day. If you are not increase your calorie goal to BMR and you will not be hungry anymore. With the exercise and the calorie deficit you will still have a loss. Know what your TDEE is. If you know what it is it makes it easier to stay on track as long as you don't go above that number you will lose weight.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    You are probably not as hungry as you are thirsty. Alot of people get mixed signals. Try drinking a couple of big glasses of water after your workout and see if that doesn't quench you...

my first thought as well
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Make sure you are staying hydrated and you can also try eating this within 30 min after working out:

Chocolate Recovery Pudding

1/4 lb. medium firm tofu (for protein, calcium)
    1 banana* (for electrolytes)
    1/2 pear* (for natural sugar)
    1/2 T. hemp oil (for essential fatty acids, omega 3 + omega 6)
    1/2 T. cocoa powder (for natural flavor)
    sprinkle sea salt (for sodium lost in sweat)

Blend all ingredients together until reaching a consistent texture. I recommend a food processor.

^^ This is one serving.

Also, you
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    I workout at night because in the morning I just dont have the energy and it makes me feel exhausted all day. Altho working out at night gives me plenty of energy. I have super bad cravings at night...or not even really cravings, altho certain times of the month I def crave chocolate lol. But I have a hard time not binging after working out. It revs up my appetite like none other and I feel like no matter what I eat or how much I eat I'm still starving. I just cant seem to find something to satisfy me through the night and til the next morning. Suggestions????

Right after a workout, your body NEEDS carbs and sugar otherwise it will break down your muscles in order to get it and undo all the work you just did. You HAVE to eat.

Also, you need to eat a minimum of 50% back of the calories you just burned in order to replace the energy your body needs. Your body is starving because you aren't giving it back the proper nutrition it needs to build and repair the muscles.

So: Carbs, sugar, and possibly protein. This is why you should always have a protein shake after a workout that has milk (lactose free or almond works just as well), fruit, and protein powder.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member

This is completely wrong. Not to be rude, but you're not just 'thirsty' after a workout. You've destroyed your body and you need nutrition. If you don't refuel, then you're in trouble.

This is only if you've been sitting around all day and you get that 'hunger boredom' feeling. After a workout, of COURSE she's hungry.
  • hillary124
    hillary124 Posts: 112
    Alot of times I just work out earlier enough so I can have dinner after I go to the gym! Like most nights I eat a light meal, wait an hour, then go to the gym, but alot of days Ill just work out round 5 or 6 then have a late, protein-filled dinner when I get back.
  • I work out at night after work well late afternoon usually from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm, then I wait an hour after I work out and have a light meal. The key here is to really establish if you are truly hungry. I eat a light snack before a workout for energy. Usually within an hour of my workout I have a piece of fruit usually a banana or orange and a piece of string cheese. It helps with the workout and its also a way to not be starving at the end. Its like anything it takes practice. Just because you worked out doesn't mean its ok to eat a ton. Just try filling foods, like peanut butter, cottage cheese, high protein foods. Good luck.

Excellent advice!
    I, too, get the munchies after workouts. :]