Running. Feeling not so great after first 5k, pace

Options
I just ran my first 5k on sunday. I worked really hard to get there and used a C25k program. For about the first half of my training, I was on the treadmill at about a 6.2-6.3 (about a 9 min 20 sec. mile I think (?)). Then about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I switched to only running outside. I figured I had kept up my pace as I gradually increased the amount of time I was running for. I have only trained for time- not distance. About 2 weeks ago, I ran a two-miler in preparation for the 5k and came in at 18 min and 43 seconds, so I figured I was being consistent with my treadmill pace. I kept training and got ready for the 5k. Well, sunday came and I ran the whole 5k in... 31:05. My pace slowed down significantly! I don't know why I was so much slower (there WERE a few extra hills, but I've been training with some hills in my practice, thought not as many hills...) and now I am feeling discouraged because I was so slow. Until the day before the race I was LOVING running. I would wake up very psyched to put on my shoes and go for a run. Now, I just don't feel like running, I'm feeling discouraged and unmotivated. Any advice?

Replies

• dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    Hal Higden has a book (MARATHON) in which there is a quote from one of the organizers of CARA (Chicago Area Runner Association) that has always stuck with me. "If you can chatter your pace doesn't matter". You should be able to talk with your running buddy throughout the run. Basically he is saying it doesn't matter how fast you run- just make sure to get in your miles. Speed will come if that is what you are after. In the begining you should focus on feeling strong throughout your run. Then push yourself to decrease time.

Remember, the minute you make running overly competitive you risk taking the fun out of it. It can be really hard sometimes but nothing replaces the feeling you achieve after a long run.....nothing! Good luck and keep running!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    1) treadmill is easier than running outside so take your pace on it with a grain of salt
    2) a race is different than training
    3) 31 min is not bad for your first 5k

I will tell you from experience that I have just recently started to run 5ks correctly and that is after about 35 - 50 of them. The effort is hard (or should be) and I really can't remember a time I ran one and didn't feel the strong urge to stop at about 1.75.

Do you have your mile splits from the race? Did you go out too hard and die at the end?
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I was running a 12 minute mile, 31 minutes for a 5k run is outstanding, congratulations on finishing
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hal Higden has a book (MARATHON) in which there is a quote from one of the organizers of CARA (Chicago Area Runner Association) that has always stuck with me. "If you can chatter your pace doesn't matter". You should be able to talk with your running buddy throughout the run. Basically he is saying it doesn't matter how fast you run- just make sure to get in your miles. Speed will come if that is what you are after. In the begining you should focus on feeling strong throughout your run. Then push yourself to decrease time.

Remember, the minute you make running overly competitive you risk taking the fun out of it. It can be really hard sometimes but nothing replaces the feeling you achieve after a long run.....nothing! Good luck and keep running!

So true!! I used to make it all about speed, but now that I've slowed down a bit, I can run much further!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you just finished C25K then a 31 min 5k is good. You need to run for years before you will even approach your best possible effort.

If you now keep running consistently and safely increase your volume over time and add speedwork after you have built a good running base you will be able to run a much faster 5k.
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the comments. I took them to heart, and put on my shoes, and got back out there. I still have it in my mind that I should start doing speedwork, but I'm now doing the bridge to 10K, so I'm not sure if I should focus on endurance instead. Anyway, thank you for the advice, everyone!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Get back on the horse and sign yourself up for another race. :smile:
  • KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    31 minutes is great! I ran my first 5k in Feb and I finished in 37 min. You will get faster and will be able to run for longer. It doesnt happen over night. Keep pushing yourself and you will get there. Never give up!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I was running a 12 minute mile, 31 minutes for a 5k run is outstanding, congratulations on finishing

^ That. My first (and only so far) was 34:14. I was disappointed in that a bit also...until people reminded me that it was about finishing and accomplishing something.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    31 minutes for your first 5k is amazing!! My first and only 5k was ran in 38 minutes... You did great!! I'm not a runner by any means, but I agree with what the others have said... Continue with running and I'm sure over time you'll build up to the speed that you want... Know that you did an amazing job and should feel very proud of yourself!!!
  • criscricket
    Options
    Excellent job!!! and like everyone said the more you do the faster you get!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the comments. I took them to heart, and put on my shoes, and got back out there. I still have it in my mind that I should start doing speedwork, but I'm now doing the bridge to 10K, so I'm not sure if I should focus on endurance instead. Anyway, thank you for the advice, everyone!

Log some miles for a while where 3-4 seems like a very comfortable run. When you are hitting 15+ miles per week, and you have a couple 5K races under your belt, THEN start speed training.

I was a runner back in HS and College, and took a 20 year hiatus. I started running again at 40, I am now 42, and the first 5K I ran after coming back to running at 40 was a 34:11 - and I was a veteran runner! My last 5K was two weeks ago, and I ran a 22:20. I did not start speed training until January of this year. I currently log about 20-25 miles per week, and I am focused on 5Ks only. I am not training for a 10K, Half, or Full Marathon.

Don't get discouraged - keep running - your PR will drop. Test yourself in another couple of months after logging some miles.

Greg
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Personally I would like to run a 5k in 31 hours. I'll get there (I hope someday). I'm proud of you for finishing.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JennieLynnJenkins
    Options
    I was taught a long time ago that if you train on a treadmill for an outdoor race that you should put the treadmill on an incline at 1 or 2. I really don't know why but that has helped me with running when I go back and forth between indoor and outdoor. I don't know if you've tried it but it couldn't hurt! :)