P90X - What to record ...

Options
... what do you record as exercise on this site for the P90X system? Are the workouts considered aerobic or weight lifting?

Thanks.

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Create your own workout and call it P90X. For exercise calories, add whatever number you calculate on the nutrition guide. So if the book says you should eat 1800 and your MFP is set at 1200, give your workouts 600 calories.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Go the cardiovascular section and type in weight training or the name of the individual exercise. You then will need to punch in what calories your HRM says.
  • kariadams
    kariadams Posts: 24
    Options
    The only workouts I record are the ab ripper, kenpox and plyometrics. Plyo is heavy aerobics, kenpox is light and abripper is light aerobics. I do record other things I do throughout the day like cleaning the house, mowing the lawn, gardening, and playing golf. Keep in mind when recording all this stuff if you put anything under the weight lifting section it will not add calories to your daily intake even though when doing the P90X program you burn more calories doing all the weight lifiting than normal aerobics, but that is an adjustment you have to make for your self. Keep track and watch how fast you take off your weight. If it is coming off really fast then you might not be consuming enough calories and you will peter out during your workouts. You know your body and make yourself aware of what it is doing. Good luck
  • WTJoyce
    WTJoyce Posts: 86
    Options
    Create your own workout and call it P90X. For exercise calories, add whatever number you calculate on the nutrition guide. So if the book says you should eat 1800 and your MFP is set at 1200, give your workouts 600 calories.

That makes a whole lot of sense to me, great idea.
  • Skrib
    Skrib Posts: 18
    Options
    The only workouts I record are the ab ripper, kenpox and plyometrics. Plyo is heavy aerobics, kenpox is light and abripper is light aerobics. I do record other things I do throughout the day like cleaning the house, mowing the lawn, gardening, and playing golf. Keep in mind when recording all this stuff if you put anything under the weight lifting section it will not add calories to your daily intake even though when doing the P90X program you burn more calories doing all the weight lifiting than normal aerobics, but that is an adjustment you have to make for your self. Keep track and watch how fast you take off your weight. If it is coming off really fast then you might not be consuming enough calories and you will peter out during your workouts. You know your body and make yourself aware of what it is doing. Good luck

You will be surprised how many calories you burn on the other workouts - pull-ups, push-ups, curls and lunges etc still get your heart rate up. I burned 620 last night on Core Synergistics according to my HRM. I think they are all designed to get you a 600 or so calorie burn.
  • coachkcrosby
    Options
    How do you use your HRM to figure out calories burned?
  • kariadams
    Options

You will be surprised how many calories you burn on the other workouts - pull-ups, push-ups, curls and lunges etc still get your heart rate up. I burned 620 last night on Core Synergistics according to my HRM. I think they are all designed to get you a 600 or so calorie burn.

I was not sure how to record or even calculate how many calories I was burning doing the rest of the workouts, so I was just winging it. If you would teach me how to calculate that I would greatly appreciate it. I think that would also help me to get motivated to loose the last 13lbs in the next 5weeks. I have been feeling unmotivated lately, not sure if it is the weather or what, but if I can see the benifit of the push ups pull ups ect. then I think this would solve my problem!!!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    How do you use your HRM to figure out calories burned?

Some of them have that function with the HRM.
  • Skrib
    Skrib Posts: 18
    Options

I was not sure how to record or even calculate how many calories I was burning doing the rest of the workouts, so I was just winging it. If you would teach me how to calculate that I would greatly appreciate it. I think that would also help me to get motivated to loose the last 13lbs in the next 5weeks. I have been feeling unmotivated lately, not sure if it is the weather or what, but if I can see the benifit of the push ups pull ups ect. then I think this would solve my problem!!!

I use a heart rate monitor now - but before I got that I used to simply estimate 600 calories for every P90X workout. I created my own custom workout called "P90X" and gave it 600 calories. With the exception of Yoga and Stretch, I would put that down for everything - for those I just used the MFP "Stretching" workout. Since I got the HRM I have found 600 is probably understated for me, but is likely somewhere close to an average if you want to estimate. For example - I am on phase 3 and did chest and arms last night plus ab-ripper.....780 calories. Well worth recording!!
  • kariadams
    Options
    Wow!! I had no idea that work out burned that many calories!!! DH(Dear Hubby) and I did not buy the HRM because of the cost involved. Thank you for the insight. We are also in phase III. I think when we are finished with this round I will try the P90X lean and see what I come up with.