2 long flights...what do I do???

Options
I am leaving for vacation on Thursday. One flight is 13 hours with a layover in the Middle East and the next flight is 10 hours. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can eat on the plane that won't ruin my diet yet get all of my calories in? I refuse to eat airline food...processed junk full of calories and sodium.

Replies

• bellefille
    bellefille Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am leaving for vacation on Thursday. One flight is 13 hours with a layover in the Middle East and the next flight is 10 hours. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can eat on the plane that won't ruin my diet yet get all of my calories in? I refuse to eat airline food...processed junk full of calories and sodium.

I do a lot of international travel for work and I have discovered that trying to eat have a healthy meal during the trip is really difficult so I don't sweat it if it is not possible. This is especially so given the restrictions that many countries now place on entering with fresh produce. That said, a few suggestions to try include:

- if there are no restrictions on entering a country with fresh fruits or veggies or if you will not be leaving the airport, (the US has one of the most severe restrictions on fresh produce), you can pack some homemade food in airtight containers. Keep in mind this will restrict how much hand luggage you can carry and make sure what you pack is not liquid. I usually carry some apples and sandwiches. Also carry an empty water container and fill up during the flight so that you will have some water on you when you land.
    - register for a special meal for the flight e.g. sign up for the vegetarian option for the meals. Depending on the flight that can be a good alternative.
    - if you know your layover airport, you can google it to see if there is information online about what restaurant options are there and whether you will have enough time during your layover to eat.
  • WVHeather
    WVHeather Posts: 53
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I am going to Malaysia with a layover in Qatar. I am also thinking of taking my whey protein powder to fill in between meals, or if the meal is something I just can't eat, have the protein shake and a snack that I've packed. I just don't want to sabotage my weight loss!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It's a day or so. That shouldn't do a lot of damage as long as you aren't gorging. Try sleeping alot. Hard to eat when you're sleeping.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition