Too little fiber too much fat and sugar, despite great effor

GoDoAndBe
GoDoAndBe Posts: 20
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I am trying very hard to get lots of fiber and little fat ans sugar, but I always enup over on fat and sugar and under on fiber. Below are my daily intake numbers; are they ok? My net cals were calculated by the site calculator, but the others are my best guesses for needing to lose 62 pounds. All help is appreciated.

Calories 1200
Carbs 120
Protein 105
Fat 33
Sugar 30
Fiber 25

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Try a high-fiber oatmeal, yogurt or cereal bar to up your fiber. Stick with lean protiens such as fish and chicken with lots of veggies and fruit and you should see your fat numbers to down.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Try a high-fiber oatmeal, yogurt or cereal bar to up your fiber. Stick with lean protiens such as fish and chicken with lots of veggies and fruit and you should see your fat numbers to down.

Oh, and i'm on a 1200 calorie day too and my carbs are 165, fat is 40 and protien is 45, but i'm almost at my goal weight, so that might make a difference.
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    The site calculates the right ratio of carbs, prot and fat for you to lose weight, it looks like you are trying to go high protein. I would suggest you go back and let the website recalculate your numbers.

33grams of fat is less than 30 percent of 1200 calories, the trick is to not go over 30 percent of your total calories for fat which is 40grams

25grams of fiber is for someone on a 2,000 calorie a day diet,

like I said the website will calculate the right ratio of carbs, prot, fat, sugar and fiber based on your total calorie needs.

You don't want to set your self up for disaster by not having enough of what your body needs.

just like "bmacneil" has lost 12lbs already on this ratio so it must be helping.

HTH,
    Demetria
  • sibetsimo
    sibetsimo Posts: 39
    Hi!

My ratios are similar to yours (I adjusted them a bit as well).

Calories 1200
    Carbs 135
    Protein 105
    Fat 27
    Sugar 24
    Fiber 14

Unfortunately, I always seem to go a fair amount over on my carbs, but that's not what this thread is about... I actually have never gone over on fat, though. I get alot of my protein from milk and yogurt rather than from meat, which really cuts down on the fat intake. It's not that I don't like meat or think that it's bad, it's just so godforsakenly expensive and I'm a student! :tongue: But even when I do splurge I get extra lean ground turkey and chicken breast and the like and still never go over on fat. Maybe try that? I also never use salad dressing (just balsamic vinegar) or mayo or anything like that.

For the sugar issue, I've seen threads about this before and apparently MFP underestimates how much sugar you should be eating, assuming that it's healthy sugar. For example, an apple has 17g of sugar! The way I see it is don't bother too much about sugars from fruits and the like (as long as you're not diabetic or something) and just try to keep refined sugars to a minimum.

As for fibre, I always go way over. I like All-Bran Flakes for breakfast sometimes (5g fibre) and Quaker Weight Control oatmeal for a snack (5g too, I think). Other good fibre-full snacks are fibre 1 bars (140 cals and 5g fibre) or Nature Valley Fibre bars (130 cals and 3g fibre and they taste like heaven!!). I suppose alot of my daily fibre comes from little snacks. Worth a try!

Hope this helps!!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    When you're cooking on a budget it is so hard to get the right nutrition. All the cheap foods are horrible for you- ramen anyone? :noway:

Try buying frozen spinach and adding it to your food. If you make pasta- toss in some spinach. It's so cheap and easy to put in anything. I make potatoes in the morning and add squash and spinach so there's tons of nutrients in them. Add a bit of vinegar while cooking- deeelish.

I haven't looked at your food diary so I dont know where your fat is coming from. If you're eating good fats then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just use a little less oil, or skip the nuts.

:flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Ramen is great if you can get the healthier kind w/out MSG etc. I had some last night, I added carrots and sesame oil (I have not been getting enough fat oddly). Yummy.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Ramen is great if you can get the healthier kind w/out MSG etc. I had some last night, I added carrots and sesame oil (I have not been getting enough fat oddly). Yummy.

I was referring to the cheap ramen- the kind with tons of fat and a bagillion grams of sodium. And little sad formaldehyded peas.

Poor little peas :frown:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    oh well, mine does cost a whopping $1.50 compared to 40 cents :bigsmile: I am sorry you are so limited budget wise.
This discussion has been closed.