need help with shin cramp when running

Options
Hi All,

Ok so I've started running again recently. A couple of years back I was pretty fit and run the London Marathon and some other halfs. When I'm fit I even *enjoy* running (gasp). I'm trying to ease myself back into it, as I know that my extra body weight won't be too kind on my knees and ankles. However, what I'm finding at the moment is that after about 5 minutes of running my right shin is so tight that I can't actually lift my foot up and it just sort of 'flops', frozen, and the only way to continue running is to just run from the knee and put down my foot flat. It is definitely not a shin splint, I know what they feel like, this feels like really powerful cramp down the front of the shin. I'm not even sure how to stretch it out (whether to do toe raises, or to do toe-points?). It's now starting to do it when I power-walk as well. Is it that my calves are really tight? Should I just do x-training for a bit to build up muscle again? I played hockey for years so my thighs are very well built and defined, so I'm not sure whether this is also detrimental?

It's just so frustrating!

Any advice gratefully received,
Cheers all,

R