Just a guy starting with the small steps

Options
Hello all. This is a great site and I'm glad I found it. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks reading, learning, and finding motivation. Thanks to all who run and contribute to the program. This is wonderful.

I'm a 35 year old guy, 5'10", 282lbs, went to sleep one skinny night and woke up the next obese morning. My story is not unlike many others. My priorities laid elsewhere and I neglected my health. In the past 3 weeks I've lost one buddy to a heart attack and nearly lost a second for the same reason. All three of us had the same body type and lived identical lifestyles. Talk about some motivation.

This is the the first time in my life I've sustained any measure of healthy living...and I can see the results. In three weeks I've lost 10 lbs and a couple of inches here and there. The results are inspiration to keep on trucking.

Again, thanks to all and I plan on sticking around.

Steve

Replies

• labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You definitely do have some reasons to be motivated! Scary to lose friends to heart attacks when you are only 35. I've been "stalking" the community here for a little while as well. Apprehensive to jump in and let people know I was here... probably because then I would feel accountable to people other than myself. Silly because that should be a good thing in this process right?! Anyhow, I've committed to "coming out" to participate and make some friends. To be inspired and hopefully inspire in turn. Welcome!
    Feel free to add me :)
  • fudgeinator
    fudgeinator Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm the forum stalker type as well...lurk for ages but rarely contribute. I felt compelled to post in this instance because I'm not prepared to deal with the consequence of the path I was walking. Coming out of my shell like this is rather uncharacteristic for me.

I linked this site to my Twitter account, which is in-turn linked to my Facebook account. This was the best way for me to become accountable to my friends and family. Failing to keep a promise you make to your entire community is great pressure to make sure you do what you said you would.

My daily satisfaction comes from the small victories. Choosing the apple instead of the chip. Parking in the farthest possible spot. These small changes are easy and are the building blocks for larger and more substantial accomplishments that will come in the following weeks, months, years.

Thanks again for the welcome and you have a friend request.

Steve
  • FloodlitWorld
    Options
    That is quite the harsh wake-up call Steve. I agree with what you're saying about small victories. It's easy to do things when you think they're temporary or even a one-off, but to actually change your lifestyle is constant psychological warfare, yet it's the only way to attain lasting success.

Glad to hear of your successes thus far. Keep it up, I'll add you too.
  • fudgeinator
    fudgeinator Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hear you about the psychological warfare. For me, I've learned that the lifestyle change was more than just about the food specifically. I have been fully aware of healthy eating habits and its benefits for decades, but I was sidelined in large part by a nasty case of machismo. Men eat steak. Men drink, a lot. Men give vegetable sides to their girlfriends, wives, or less manly men. Getting over this unhealthy attitude has done wonders for my ability to make better choices.

Don't get me wrong, there will be lapses of will and a cheat or two will slip, but by and large, I'll stay on the straight and narrow...so long as I have concerned citizens to beat me harshly when I get off track.

Steve