Options
2»

Replies

• nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    and kale is very bitter
    Is it? Not what I've been eating...

I don't think it's bitter, either. I like it all raw and all sorts of cooked.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have the BEST recipe for kale! I actually found it off skinnytaste.com; it's a frittata recipe and is incredibly easy to make.

I'll add the link below, but essentially you want to cut up the kale leaves into little "ribbons," cut the kale stem into 1/4 inch sections and then cook it all up in a ::little:: olive oil until it's browned and softened.

Add sauteed onions (if you like them), and then pour in an egg/egg white and cheese mixture around the cooked veggies. Let the mixture "set" in the fry pan for several minutes, and then pop the whole thing in the oven and let it cook for 6-8 minutes.

Pull it out, flip it over on a plate and you should have a beautiful, healthful, and delicious frittata!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/light-swiss-chard-frittata.html

(this one actually calls for swiss chard, but you can replace it with kale no problem)
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    My friend recently made this made this and it was so simple and delicious.

Kale chips - rip up the kale into little pieces, coat them in coconut oil and sprinkle them with sea salt and then bake in the oven until they are crispy. It was very good!!
  • kkoshiro
    kkoshiro Posts: 69
    Options
    Super easy to make! Grew up with this & it's the best soup in the whole world :)
    Caldo Verde - Portuguese Kale Soup:

1 large Spanish onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    10 ounces chouriço, diced
    6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
    8 cups cold water
    1 pound kale or collard greens, cut into very fine julienne
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent. Add the garlic and half the chouriço and cook for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cover everything with the water, bring to a boil and lower the heat, simmering until the potatoes are almost done, about 15 minutes.

2. When the soup is cool enough to handle, purée it in the food processor and return to the pot. Add the greens, bring everything back to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls, and garnish with the remaining cubes of chouriço.

OOOOOOOOOOOhhhh I LOVE Portuguese Kale Soup its so delish!!!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Saute for a few minutes and then add to scrambled eggs or an omelet with other veggies. :)
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I boil it until its tender, then saute in olive oil and garlic.
  • nutritionaljade
    Options
    I use it to make wraps, instead of using tortillas! I also use collards that same way. Also, if you wanted to make kale chips, but keeps some of the nutrients in the kale you could dehydrate them, either in a dehydrator or in your oven at the lowest temperature for several hours, with the oven door slightly open.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I boil it until its tender. . .

Here's a recipe for this:

1. Put kale in water along with a small rock.
    2. Bring water to a rolling boil.
    3. Simmer until the rock is tender.
  • cwinottawa
    cwinottawa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here is my favourite kale recipe:

http://mangeratrois.net/index.php/recipes/vegetables/380-polenta-crowned-kale-casserole

You can make it with polenta as a meal, or without for a side dish. I usually add mushrooms.