Does lifting weights tone your abs?

Options
So, I am 20yrs old, female, and although I don't have a huge amount of weight to left to lose (maybe 7-8lbs), as it comes off I am not thrilled with the results.
I do mainly cardio and some (lighter) free weights and strength training exercises at home, as I don't have access to a gym, but I am definitely left with the "skinny fat" look.

I'm pretty happy with my arms and legs but my problem area is definitely my mid-section. I have read the posts that tell you that you will have this skinny-fat look unless you lift heavy, but my question is whether it tones you all over, or if it just helps your arms and legs.

Basically -- how can I tone my abs? I see pictures of women who lift heavy and they have great abs, and I want them too ;) Do I have to lose more weight and then build myself back up with muscle? Any advice would be so helpful!

Replies

• stepgirl0705
    stepgirl0705 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being so close to your goal!
    You are doing good by exercising even without access to a gym. There are alot of things you can do to tone up your abs. I am a fitness instructor and have been given alot of training on different formats, but Pilates is my absolute favorite core training. There are several DVDs available to help you. Also, if you do planks, it tones your core, shoulders, back, and triceps.
    Good Luck!
  • sblack91
    sblack91 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you, that is so helpful. I will definitely look into some pilates DVDs :)