Does low carb per se improve health?

Options
A team of researchers seems to indicate that low-carb diets are optimal for improving cardiovascular and metabolic health, regardless of whether weight loss occurs. And not only that, but they greatly attribute this to the diet's affect on insulin levels. This sort of contradicts what some of the posters more grounded in science such as Acg and others think on the subject.

Here is a blog entry that explains their findings, and you can find a link within to an actual study:

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/?p=2146

And here is another study just talking about improved health without weight loss:

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/24/abstract

Notable names from the research are Stephen Phinney, Jeff Volek, and Richard Feinman. I know there are more studies out there from these guys. I'm calling Acg and others to refute their findings and if there is anything I should know about these researchers.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    A team of researchers seems to indicate that low-carb diets are optimal for improving cardiovascular and metabolic health, regardless of whether weight loss occurs. And not only that, but they greatly attribute this to the diet's affect on insulin levels. This sort of contradicts what some of the posters more grounded in science such as Acg and others think on the subject.

Here is a blog entry that explains their findings, and you can find a link within to an actual study:

And here is another study just talking about improved health without weight loss:

Notable names from the research are Stephen Phinney, Jeff Volek, and Richard Feinman. I know there are more studies out there from these guys. I'm calling Acg and others to refute their findings and if there is anything I should know about these researchers.

I'll dive into this more when i'm not so busy at work, first the study linked by jimmy moore (found here www.nmsociety.org/.../aboutfat/Comparison_of_Low_Fat_and_Low...)

Does not conclude that CVD and metabolic parameters improve regardless of weight loss, you will see that the low carb group lost more weight, which isn't all that surprising at the higher protein intake and short duration of the study.

And I'll withhold my opinion on Volek and Phinney, just read some of their studies and pay particular note to the study design.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

I'll dive into this more when i'm not so busy at work, first the study linked by jimmy moore (found here www.nmsociety.org/.../aboutfat/Comparison_of_Low_Fat_and_Low...)

Does not conclude that CVD and metabolic parameters improve regardless of weight loss, you will see that the low carb group lost more weight, which isn't all that surprising at the higher protein intake and short duration of the study.

And I'll withhold my opinion on Volek and Phinney, just read some of their studies and pay particular note to the study design.

Take as much time as you like. I really don't know if their science is good or not, which is why I want your evaluation.

Also Phinney and Volek wrote a book called "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" that I haven't read, but want to. Just wondering if you are familiar with it and had any opinions.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    When you are doing your research, pay attention to the TYPES of carbohydrates under study. Refined and processed carbs are not good for you on a regular basis (once in awhile treat is different), compared to whole grain, complex carbohydrates. Also achieving a balance between carbs, fats and proteins is essential. The percentages of each depend on your own body chemistry. I am better off with a lower carb ratio. My body reacts negatively (especially to refined carbs) to too much carbs in my diet.

I encourage you to do research, and pay attention to how much carbs you log compared to the weight on the scale. For two weeks, set a percentage of carbs, follow it and see how our body feels. Then the next two weeks, increase or decrease the percentage of carbs, and see how your body feels. Remember, no matter how much carbs you eat, stay within your total caloric intake. See what works for your body!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Take as much time as you like. I really don't know if their science is good or not, which is why I want your evaluation.

Also Phinney and Volek wrote a book called "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" that I haven't read, but want to. Just wondering if you are familiar with it and had any opinions.

I've read the book, it was alright. Lots of information, but obviously biased towards low carb diets, they touch on the metabolic advantage and fat adaption theories which they beleive are true. I forget who did it, i think Phinney but he did trials on the obese and walking and another on cyclists to "prove" fat adaptation, but you should read it and it should be clear at the limitations and why it doesn't really prove it at all
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I don't eat low carb. I am extremely healthy in every measure of the word.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Depends on the participants and it depends on the controlled diet. In isocaloric comparisons there does seem to be an advantage/improvement when compared to diets that are high in carbs, at least from memory when reading some of the hundreds of studies over the course.....I would have to search, but personally I believe there is some health improvements. I think most people today believe that increasing protein is beneficial as opposed to the RDA when it comes to health, and that is basically reducing carbs in the diet. Keep in mind I'm talking about lowering carbs and not necessarily talking about a low carb diet where carbs are generally kept very low.