Anyone struggling with at-home workouts?

Options

Replies

• AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you have Netflix streaming they have quite a few different exercise videos...I like the 10 Minute Solutions, Kickbox and Crb Burner. They have 5- 10 minute segments on each that you can mix and match like the old Granimal clothes!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    body rock tv
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home at the moment.

I have an elliptical machine, just a fairly cheap one (£140) but on top of that I do yoga, tai chi, dumbbell exercises, plus I've followed some aerobic workout routines on fitness tv, the yoga I do is actually following a video from there.

At first I found I was a bit all over the place had no real routine, I tried several different things until I've found a near routine. I've recently purchased a cheap heart rate monitor to get a better idea of calories I'm burning.
  • claremillerphoto
    claremillerphoto Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Like others I love the Jillian Michaels DVD's. 30 day shred is great to start as its only a 20 minute workout - doesn't sound like much but she really works you hard! I also do lots of power walking - fast, 5mph which i find more productive than running (as I'm not very good & tend to give up!!)
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I only exercise at home too and started at 238 (currently 217) I use my wii everyday (mostly zumba) bike ride and walk when its warm and I bought a used stationary bike for $30. I also recently got a hrm because it is soo hard to know how much you are burning especially I think with home work outs.

Good luck! you can do it!
  • jily310
    jily310 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred a week ago. I am doing it every morning- I havent seen any results yet, but my muscles are sore! I also run 3 days a week at the gym.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I recently joined MFP, and I'm working to cut my weight in half. I know it's going to take a lot of time, but I currently weigh 255, down from 260 and my UGW is 115. I do Pilates and dance every day, but I'm looking for more. Any suggestions of workout videos or things on On Demand? Anything will help. Thanks so much!

I know it's cheesy and old-fashioned, but I ADORE Richard Simmons. I do Sweatin' to the Oldies, but he's so down to earth and fun, so I'd recommend anything by him.

Walking outside is great exercise, especially if you have any hilly areas. I recommend a balance ball, some free weights (and weights, anyway) and stretchy bands. There's so much you can do at home.

Once I had a good routine down, I also invested in an elliptical. I had to know I would use it before I spent the money. It sits in front of a television, so I can get on it and go without being bored to death.
  • evolutionaerie
    evolutionaerie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My advice is to try and find something that you find fun, something that makes you feel more like a kid playing and less like an adult "working out". I discovered the hula hoop about 3 years ago and I love it! It's a great workout, a good mix of cardio and resistance, and a lot of the time I don't even feel like I'm working out because I'm just enjoying myself, dancing and learning new tricks. It burns A LOT of calories in an hour too if you really go hard. :p Also, there are tons of inspiring videos on youtube, I taught myself everything I know from those!

Maybe a trampoline, even one of those mini ones? Working out via video game is pretty enjoyable too if you have a Wii or Kinect . :)
    You also might try getting a jump rope. And keep dancing! It's good for the body and the soul. :)
  • SmashliT
    SmashliT Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the 30 day shred....a good workout, but I find it boring. It is nice when I want to get a quick solid workout in, though.

I recently got the Les Mills Pump set. I am in love with it....great strength training workouts that also really get your heart rate up.

If you are strapped for cash, check out body rock videos on YouTube, they are awesome. You can also check out workout videos from the library.
  • jingles47
    jingles47 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Denise Austin has a 12 minute workout video that I love! It works on every area of your body. There are 12 moves in 12 minutes. I like it because you don't get bored and it's fun. I lost 19 pounds since January. See if you can find something you like that makes you have fun. You'll want to do it.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,432 Member
    Options
    If you are more of a home-body and have a Wii, you can do the Wii Fit Plus Step WHILE watching a fav tv show or movie (I put my balence board on top of my 6 inch step bench now, but built up to that hight by first having it on the floor, then on some low books, THEN up on the bench) If you get to the point where that is not enough, try holding a pair of hand-weghts (either with arms crossed over your chest extended at should height or above your head part of the time) for extra intensity. But if you are doing this, don't do more than basic step up and down, as the weights could make you unstable if trying to also knee lift or side-step at the same time.

You can set the time duration for 10, 20 or 30 minutes, and the sound of the metronome coming from the Wii Controler keeps you in step. At the commercial break following "time's up", save that Wii session and start a second (if you have the energy) I like things like this where it "wait for you to finish all sets" before moving on - unlike a DVD which just keeps rolling whether you have done your reps or not.

I don't know if any fitness game for the Kenects (XBox version of motion sensing "you are the controler") have a move while watich tv option or not.

You may get to the point where the Wii level (more active play than hard core) isn't enough, or you want to be outside.

If you are willing to go out (considering a gym membership) and you live in Canada, look over the www.bootycampfitness.com site and see if it might work for you. It has been working well for me, and pushes me harder than I would at home while giving me access to trainer advice.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Weighted hula hoop -- i did it in my living room all winter. Great cardio and I can feel my abs (under the fat for now LOL).
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    FREE FREE FREE

www.bodyrock.tv

Love it.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are inexpensive, versatile and portable (so even when you are traveling you can bring a "gym" with you!). I also have fitballs in various sizes, a medicine ball, 3 lbs dumbbells, and an elliptical (clearly, the most expensive part of my home gym). I also do yoga, and Pilates core moves (no rebounder necessary, just use bands and small fitball). My favorite piece of equipment? My walking shoes! Rain, snow or shine, I can walk anywhere. It gives me an excuse to explore other parts of the neighborhood, and get some fresh air.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have turbo fire and its fun but a real good workout. I have also done P90X. Its an awesome workout if you have the time.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 Day Shred too, it's a hard workout and only 20 minutes long, so it's like taking medicine... Once it's done I can get on with my day :P
  • MNmuncher
    MNmuncher Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com has tons of free workouts-also check out youtube! :)
  • NicholeRobb
    NicholeRobb Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have a gazelle I have been using every day. I also invested in a core ball, hand weights. I also have a weight bench I use, but that may not be feasible depending on ur income. If not wrist & ankle weights are fairly inexpensive as r the other items listed above. In the last wk I also invested in Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 & 30 day shred. While I've only used both once so far I've lost an additional 8in from my body. So, I'm not complaining a bit! I also like tae bo :)
  • anna5
    anna5 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have neck problems from being in 2 bad car accidents. plus being overweight. A lot of those home videos do some pretty dangerous moves for my neck. At 280 lbs, I got started doing Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone or a Denise Austin video. They are more gentle with your neck/joints. At first I could only do the 1 or 2 miles. She does add light weights and stretchy band but its not injurious. I now can do 3-4-5 miles walking and a little jogging and some heavier weights.

I would not recommend Jillian or the Biggest Loser workouts for beginners or anyone with a neck/joint troubles.....

There are also some good ones on Netflix....HTH

Anna in Idaho
  • MizThang
    MizThang Posts: 5
    Options
    I struggle at getting motivated once I get home but MWF, I do my 30 elliptical and Tues and Thurs is pilates. It can get very boring at times so I started adding Zumba and my workout video for the Xbox 360 Kinect. It can break the cycle and I work different muscles which is key to your workout routine. I also have small 10 lbs weights so I can do some arm workouts. They are inexpensive as somebody mentioned already. I think I paid around $10 for each. The internet is a great resource, like youtube.com, to get a good idea of what kind of moves you could do with the wieghts. Good luck!!