? for the female Heavy Lifters

Options
smte
smte Posts: 95 Member
I am waiting for my copy of the NROLFW. In the meantime, I know the general idea of it is to lift heavy & I want to get started on some weights at the gym. So, is lifting heavy maybe 5 reps or so (I know it's going to be different for everyone, just looking for a general number). How many sets to you do? And, do you do a total body workout each time, or break it up between upper & lower?

Replies

• cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    Generally if you're going for as close to your max as possible, you will do less reps. 5 seems like a reasonable amount. 3-4 sets is usually a good number too.

I break my workouts into various, complimentary muscle groups - but a lot of people have good success with upper/lower body splits.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I did the NROL4W from start to finish. Now I see my trainer avery month for a new workout.

I do total body workout 3 set of 6 reps
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    everyone will respond differently.

some people have different splits to target different muscle groups on different days--depends on how much time you have in the gym and what your goals are.

"heavy" is generally less than 6 reps. Again..there is no "right" answer--or exact answer rather.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I do an upper/lower split but did a full body routine when I first started out.

My rep range is usually 4-8 reps, moving up a weight when I can manage 8 reps on the first set (I don't do the same amount of reps each set as I go to failure with each one)
    I do 5 sets.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5 now - so I do 5 working sets of 5 reps, with two warm up sets (empty bar and half working weight) to start.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I did NROLFW too-great program!
    Now I do total body, 3 times a week, 6-8 reps, 3 sets.