Is TV killing us?

Options
I was listening to a cd from a friend earlier that was talking about the functons of the frontal lobe. One of his discussions was regarding tv and the effects on the frontal lobe and healthy lifestyle such as eating habits, physical activity, lower involuntary brain function effecting cellular metabolism, organ function ect.,imagination and planning, behaviors and beliefs, mood, event memory and acceptance, and many others. He stated that some studies have concluded that if it were not for the mass implementation of modern entertainment tv we would have statistically 50% less crime (based on areas who have only recently had acess to entertainment television).

Does anyone else see that some of these could be true?

Does this mean that entertainment tv's negatives out way the positives. Are we better off with out it as a society. Is it taking away our mental capabilities and ingenuities to a level that could cost the livelihoods of so many of our friends and families?
Our kids? If so, then why do we put up with it?

I hadn't thought about it too much before, other than that too much tv is bad for you. But I think back to my childhood and all of the rich knowlege that I never learned because of hours spent, conversations devoted too, and outlooks at least to some extent formed by that tv.

Please bare with any spelling or grammar errors. I would love if any negativity or self righteous rudeness could be kept to a minimal on this cause I want people to be able to speak truthfully about their thoughts or experiences. I hope this starts some conversation. I hope someone can teach me more on the issue.

Replies

• digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure, but I'd say watching the science channel vs watching the kardashians might be a variable there.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of drivel on TV, and a lot of educational, nature, science and political debate TV. I find I watch mostly documentaries these days.

I turned off cable four years ago, and can't receive any network TV where I live, so all I watch is a couple (like two) news shows a week online, and documentaries on Netflix. I don't even rent movies anymore.

I feel so much better having done this. Between the news 24/7, the constant assault of commercials, and the mindless reality shows, I just couldn't justify cable anymore.

Life is precious and we are easily swayed. I believe it probably does affect us a lot more than we know.
  • Robbie32
    Robbie32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of drivel on TV, and a lot of educational, nature, science and political debate TV. I find I watch mostly documentaries these days.

I turned off cable four years ago, and can't receive any network TV where I live, so all I watch is a couple (like two) news shows a week online, and documentaries on Netflix. I don't even rent movies anymore.

I feel so much better having done this. Between the news 24/7, the constant assault of commercials, and the mindless reality shows, I just couldn't justify cable anymore.

Life is precious and we are easily swayed. I believe it probably does affect us a lot more than we know.

You are sooo right. It brings tears to my eyes thinking about how much unquality time that I've spent with my kids in front of the tv instead of outside or in a book. So many things that I will have to learn in order to pass them on to them like sewing and planting and making it from your own hands. It's a bit disturbing the amount of consuming things that I can do verses the amount of producing. I have to walk/run for an hr a day because that is my only real source of excersize. Thank you for comment.
  • Robbie32
    Robbie32 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was expecting many more posts on this but I really appreciate the thoughtful response of the last poster. I hope others will chime in. Let me just say that this is not just a "watching the Kardasian's" issue. It's more of entertainment tv seeping its way into all of our lives in all kinds of ways that are generationally destuctive and extinctive. There are so many issues that have been taken up to better our society and keep us alive. Should not this be one? I know Im not the only one that's noticed that it's only getting worse. There is no more family tv. Are morals no longer to be publically displayed? The commercials, all of it. Are we no longer a for the people society. It seems as if our wants and needs are being dictated to us though that tube and other media that is infuenced by it. The way that we treat each other and interact with others, so much of it is influenced by tv. Even alot of the educational channels are exagerative and popularized because of the influence of entertainment tv. This is a fitness issue and I would really like to see some opinions and encouragements. And not just "if you don't like it then turn it off," I'm hoping that hearing like opinions will help me to do just that. I don't watch alot of tv but to quit completely and ask my kids to do the same will take alot of courage, but I think there will be so many benefits.