does anyone here do Paleo Diet?

Options

Replies

• Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I did it for six weeks and lost 1 pound. I went back to counting calories and eating fruits and veggies, low fat, and I've lost the 3 lbs in the last week and a half about. I think it was too much fat for me, and I find it easier to be able to eat what I want,and count calories.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming? I have a number of digestive issues, so I've had to adopt a Paleo-like style of eating or feel the wrath of the angry belly. One thing I've noticed is that I have a hard time meeting my calorie goals each day because I'm just not that hungry. I eat a lot of veggies, fruit, eggs, chicken and fish. I get creative to ensure that I'm eating enough because if I don't my weight loss stalls. Maybe try paying attention to the total calories for a while, and make sure you aren't too low.

Your not supposed to be counting calories. Without the processed crap food your calorie intake is going to be lower and there is nothing wrong with that.

There was an interesting newscast this morning and they mentioned that the tribal people that still live tribal life have very low calories and are some of the healthiest people on earth.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    MOAR VEG FOR ME!

thank you!

p.s. you know that you're doing Paleo wrong, don't you? fruit, veg, meat... grain and dairy are what you're supposed to cut out. in any event, eliminating things you love is not a sustainable lifestyle for most people. eliminating fiber is going to lead to a bowel obstruction!

If there is sufficient water and fat consumption there will be no constipation.....fiber is not as necessary as they claim.

And as for doing it wrong.......there is no "wrong way" live the Paleo lifestyle unless you have went back to processed foods.

We are not carnivores, we are OMNIVORES therefore our bowels are not the same shape.

BOWELS.JPG

"Dietary fiber — found mainly in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes — is probably best known for its ability to prevent or relieve constipation. But fiber can provide other health benefits as well, such as lowering your risk of diabetes and heart disease" - The Mayo Clinic (emphasis is mine)

If "they" is Mark's Daily Apple, you can save yourself the time it would take to reply.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Veggies are a big base of the paleo diet. If you are cutting them out that is hardly paleo. I'm not sure what you eat cutting out carbs. Just meat and fats? That sounds terribly unbalanced and I haven't read paleo advice that encourages such choices.

That is not necessarily true. Many people have to temporarily restrict ALL carbs to get weightless going and then slowly add back in what they were previously eating.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    MOAR VEG FOR ME!

thank you!

p.s. you know that you're doing Paleo wrong, don't you? fruit, veg, meat... grain and dairy are what you're supposed to cut out. in any event, eliminating things you love is not a sustainable lifestyle for most people. eliminating fiber is going to lead to a bowel obstruction!

If there is sufficient water and fat consumption there will be no constipation.....fiber is not as necessary as they claim.

And as for doing it wrong.......there is no "wrong way" live the Paleo lifestyle unless you have went back to processed foods.

We are not carnivores, we are OMNIVORES therefore our bowels are not the same shape.

BOWELS.JPG

"Dietary fiber — found mainly in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes — is probably best known for its ability to prevent or relieve constipation. But fiber can provide other health benefits as well, such as lowering your risk of diabetes and heart disease" - The Mayo Clinic (emphasis is mine)

If "they" is Mark's Daily Apple, you can save yourself the time it would take to reply.

When you consume very little carbs.....there is no need for fiber.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    What's left to eat if you're doing paleo with NO carbs?!

Have you tried just counting calories as opposed to doing this primal thing??

It's not NO carbs - it's no grains or other processed junk. The main components are lean proteins and veggies.

The OP said:
    I have been doing paleo for about 2.5 mths.... I have had my cheats but overalll its how i eat..
    I am struggling with loss tho- I am now cutting out almost all carbs even veggies....
    Does anyone else who is doing this plan have such a struggle?
    Thanks

I couldn't care less what Paleo is all about, but the OP wants to cut out all carbs.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    No veggies??? um... yeah thats not gonna last.

I know if I cut carbs out - like fruits and veggies, my brain turns to mush and being around me becomes a hazard... I would re-evaluate that plan of action.

This. I'd go all Joe Pesci on you.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    What's left to eat if you're doing paleo with NO carbs?!

Have you tried just counting calories as opposed to doing this primal thing??

^^^This!
    Cavemen evolved into us!
    Use a 90/10 rule and youll get the same results!
    90% whole foods including carbs.
    10% junk including junk.

Edit: If it works for you go for it but to me, limiting anything too much invites disaster in the long run.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have been doing paleo for about 2.5 mths.... I have had my cheats but overalll its how i eat..
    I am struggling with loss tho- I am now cutting out almost all carbs even veggies....
    Does anyone else who is doing this plan have such a struggle?
    Thanks

I stall on Paleo when I stop taking into account how many nuts and how much nut butter I'm eating. Even though they're allowed on Paleo, it should be in moderation if you're trying to lose weight. Same goes with fruit--I try to limit it to two servings a day. Not going overboard on those two things and keeping my carbs between 50-150 I see success with Paleo. Hope that helps.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    MOAR VEG FOR ME!

thank you!

BOWELS.JPG

I find it interesting that someone who seems so concerned about health thinks there really is no need for fiber.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less what Paleo is all about, but the OP wants to cut out all carbs.

It's kind of required to have at least a basic understanding of the Paleo diet in order to understand why cutting out the veggie-sourced carbs....doesn't really work on a Paleo diet.

Cutting out veggie-sourced carbs on a Paleo diet is kind of like being vegan and trying the Atkins diet.... You *might* be able to pull it off, but you're more likely to fail somewhere...
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    One of my Facebook friends had this posted on their site... sums it up nicely.

paleo-1.jpg

Loved this.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Why are you cutting out veggies? That doesn't make sense.

Especially veggies! Paleo man eats veggies o.O

Paleo man eats bugs, people, dirt, dead birds, boogers, guinea worm ridden monkeys.. and protein shakes.

Mmm bugs and dirt.
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm currently being semi-Paleo, and I lost 4 pounds in the first week. I find that cutting out the grains really made a HUGE difference. I was amazed that I could eat high-fat yogurt + nuts and still lose.

Has anyone tried the eating right for your blood type diet? I'm B+, and they say that it's very similar to Paleo, (except no tomatoes or chicken, of all things). . . My step brother is O and he can eat carbs until the cows come home and not gain. Jerk.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

It's kind of required to have at least a basic understanding of the Paleo diet in order to understand why cutting out the veggie-sourced carbs....doesn't really work on a Paleo diet.

Cutting out veggie-sourced carbs on a Paleo diet is kind of like being vegan and trying the Atkins diet.... You *might* be able to pull it off, but you're more likely to fail somewhere...

I have seen vey successful people that are eating almost 0 carbs and I have seen people that are successful on Paleo eating a lot of carbs.

The carb level and success has a lot to do with the level of activity one is engaged in.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    MOAR VEG FOR ME!

thank you!

BOWELS.JPG

I find it interesting that someone who seems so concerned about health thinks there really is no need for fiber.

My health is my #1 concern, not the amount of weight I lose.

Don't take my words out of context. I said in the sense the government tries to say we need fiber, NO we do not need near as much as they recommend.

Fiber can be helpful, but it can also be hurtful. If a person has healthy gut flora (bacteria) then fruits and vegetables in abundance are fine. If one DOES NOT have healthy gut flora, then taking in considerable fat and protein is more par for the course along with eating / drinking some fermented foods (kefir, kombucha, saurkraut, kimchi, etc) and possibly also adding in some probiotics is what is needed. In this case, vegetables and fruits should be somewhat limited until a healthy gut for easy digestion is estabilished.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    MOAR VEG FOR ME!

thank you!

BOWELS.JPG

hrrmmmmm.....many moons ago, when I did the Atkins, I needed a fiber supplement to keep the trains running.
  • alabelle1
    alabelle1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input-
    I wouldn't be cutting out veggies for good just very little till i can get my weight moving then return them to my diet... I am trying to do under 50 carbs a day- Just basically wondering if any other woman seem to find it hard to loose... men seem to do really well on it...
  • alabelle1
    alabelle1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

My health is my #1 concern, not the amount of weight I lose.

Don't take my words out of context. I said in the sense the government tries to say we need fiber, NO we do not need near as much as they recommend. *snip*

No you said, "there is no need for fiber." Nothing was snipped in your original quote.

I recommend some lentils and rice to clear up that fog in your brain. The fiber will get your thoughts moving along, too.

fog_main_01.jpg