Shrimp and Talapia recipes

Options
I really like shrimp and tilapia. But I haven't been eating them as frequently b/c I'm so tired of just preparing them with cajun seasoning. Sometimes I eat the shrimp alone and sometimes in a salad. I usually never fry anything. I need more of a variety for these. Please share your recipes with me!!!

Also, what side dishes do you eat with you tilapia and/or shrimp?

Replies

• OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Bumping - I need to start eating more fish :)
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Some of our favorite ways to eat tilapia:

Coat one side with blackening seasoning (or a combo of salt, pepper, cumin, chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika), then place seasoned side down in a cast iron skillet which was in the oven while it preheated to 450. Put back in oven for about 10 minutes. It gets a nice crust on the seasoned side and is delicious with some fresh lemon juice squeezed over it and some capers sprinkled on top. You could do a salad, steamed veggies, baked potato...any number of sides. Tilapia prepared this way is also great for fish tacos using whole wheat wraps and whatever toppings you want.

It's also good seasoned with lemon pepper seasoning and sauteed in a little bit of olive oil. Serve with same sides.

For shrimp:

Our favorite way to eat shrimp is just peel & eat. We buy the easy peel shrimp and boil in salt water until done, then serve with cocktail sauce. We also like cilantro lime shrimp from skinnytaste.com.

I hope that helps! :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Im allergic to shellfish so I can't help with the shrimp (but a quick google will turn up tons of ideas.)

My favorite way to eat tilapia is to bake it then add some mango salsa and diced avocado. So yummy! (I do the same thing to chicken breast.)
  • needtorunmore
    needtorunmore Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    great idea!!
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ybrown1991
    ybrown1991 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    These are great recipes. Thanks for posting the answers to this. I think I will benefit from it as well! :)
  • carolinagirl919
    carolinagirl919 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    for the tilapia:

cook how u normally prepare (cajun seasoning), but add

about a tbsp low cal terriyaki marinade
    sauteed onions, peppers, and mushrooms (optional)
    serve over steamed brown rice

^^I stole this from O'Charleys. :laugh:
  • carolinagirl919
    carolinagirl919 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    For shrimp: Use Mrs. Dash Zesty Garlic Marinade to get a shrimp scampi flavor.

In other words... marinades are your friend (and mine too). :flowerforyou:
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I made fish tacos using tilapia last night. I used Bobby Flay's recipe...it was fantastic and WAY more flavorful than I expected. The salsa recipe made a lot so it can be refrigerated and used again. I'm pre-diabetic and 2 corn tortillas stay within my carb range so I subbed those for flour. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/fish-tacos-recipe/index.html
  • liljgrafix
    liljgrafix Posts: 177
    Options
    i make this AMAZING baked talapia..
    i goto H.E.B. or if you have a whole foods or central market. and where you can get the gresh grains, and cereals they have a fish tortilla crust.. OMG Its sooo good. i take one egg and i mix it up.. dip my fish in the egg.. and then in the tortialla crust.

bake on 350 for about 10-15 minutes.. just make sure it is fully cooked. if it takes longer for you just make sure its coooked. it will be nice and crispy on the outside and soft and juicy on the inside..

its wonderful
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I use spray butter (0 calories) and spray a skillet, then cook the tilapia and sprinkle a little blackened seasoning on top. I eat it with "riced cauliflower" and other veggies.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to get more fish in my diet, too and I'm looking forward to ideas
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Baked tilapia parmesan, I got that recipe from allrecipes.com. You can adjust some ingredients to make it more healthy. I also love shrimp! My favorite is honey lime shrimp. It's really easy; just get the McCormicks marinade packets. Use Mojito Lime flavor and prepare as directed; then add a little honey and some fresh lime juice. Simple and delicious!
  • liljgrafix
    liljgrafix Posts: 177
    Options
    i also make fish tacos for my daughter. i take tilapia and just grill it with some cajun seasoning (adams reserve) and some salt. grill till cooked. then i put it on a 96% low fat whole wheat flour tortilla. and some pico de gallo, a lil bit of cilantro. and some low fat jalapeno ranch dressing.

ENJOY

for shrimp.. i take an avacado and i cut it in half. i bake it on 350 for about 7 minutes.. it will be nice and hot through and through. i saute my shrimp with some cajun seasoning( adams reserve), a little bit of soy sauce.. just to taste and some salt and pepper. then i have marie callanders jalapeno ranch dressing. i take the avacado out. put a few pieces of shrimp ontop and then some of the dressing to cover... it is to die for. its called an avacado cama... sooo good

you can do it with crab too
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    We did tilapia on the grill last night, wrap in in tin foil coated with pam spray. Add lemon juice or a marinade before you wrap it up and put it on the grill. You could grill some veggies too. We had steamed summer squash and brown rice.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I like Tilapia a lot as well. One of the ways I like to have mine is a cilantro-lime tilapia. I season my fish with salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash herbs & garlic seasoning, cumin, and seasoning salt (on one side ONLY or it will be too salty). Then I squeeze lime juice over the fish and sautee it in olive oil. Once it is done I sprinkle cilantro on top and a bit more lime to really bring out the flavor. I usually have mine with an avacado salsa that I make, and black beans and brown rice. Yummy!
  • RachRice29
    Options
    Bump!
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bump*