Sweating After a Run

Options
I just came back from the gym, ran 5 km on the TM, showered and walked back to my office, a 10 minute walk.

It's been an hour since I got off the TM and the sweat is still rolling down my back!

This has just started happening in the past few weeks.

I know sweating is the way your body cools itself down but this is crazy. My dress is soaked down the back and then I get chilled.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Karen

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no ideas on how to stop it, when I work out I have the same issue. I usually have to build in a 30min buffer between my workout and shower or I'll just sweat right through the shower, even when I take a very cold shower.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I just came back from the gym, ran 5 km on the TM, showered and walked back to my office, a 10 minute walk.

It's been an hour since I got off the TM and the sweat is still rolling down my back!

I know sweating is the way your body cools itself down but this is crazy. My dress is soaked down the back and then I get chilled.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Karen

So you workout and get your body really hot, then take a hot shower, then walk (more exercise) back to work. It seems obvious to me why you are sweating.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I do a cool down walk and then stretch and it still happens.

Karen
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Any ideas?

Thanks

Karen

Get a fan.
  • michaelvhawk
    michaelvhawk Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I might suggest taking a very cold shower, it will cool your body temperature down faster and make it so the sweat isn't as necessary later. Other than that I have no idea how to stop it.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Do you cool down after your run? A five minute walk afterwards. along with some stretching, will give you time for your heartbeat/breathing to return to near normal levels before hitting the showers.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    No idea how to stop it and it's hard because it sounds like your on a lunch break when you do it.....I have my 'buffer' time too, where I walk, stretch, travel back from gym and then take a coolish shower. The colder I can get the shower, the better I am in the long run....
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    I have the same issue, taking a cooler shower seems to help
  • DantonD
    DantonD Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This usually happens to me when I play hockey. The only sure way around it, for me, is to shower after the game at the rink, and then shower again an hour or so later when I get home.

I think the longer you can delay between when you finish your run and when you have your shower, the better. But sometimes that's not feasible.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Also, drink cold water to help cool your core temperature.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I do a cool down walk and then stretch and it still happens.

Karen
    I was going to suggest that...Hmm. This happens to me sometimes, too. I think it's usually when I don't have a good cool down, though.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Well I def sweat during and a few min after but never an hr after.....hmmmmm
  • kelly1158
    Options
    I've never been able to work out during the day, either early am or after work. I sweat way to much, to not take a full blown shower, blow dry the hair, ect. ect. Maybe you could just do a power walk on your lunch hour and finish up after work.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Myabe your hormones are out of whack?!?!?!?!?! Not sure. Mayeb a cool shower and a cool down walk and drink lots of water.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    drink some ice cold water on your walk back to keep your body temp down
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Get some baby wipes and wipe yourself down before you get back into "office" mode.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'd say rest a few minutes before jumping in the shower..
    i've had that happen to me more so when I run in the morning and am in a rush to get to the office.
    I'd say just take your time..
    sorry that's the best I can say..
    -B
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Take a facecloth, dip it in ice water (really cold tap water will do in a pinch), wring out the excess water and apply to the back of your neck and repeat a couple of times as needed. Then have your shower and back to work.....I too have a very efficient cooling system and this is far more pleasant (less unpleasant ??) than an ice cold shower.

(If you have kids playing sports in the summer this is also a very effective way for them to cool down in extremely hot / humid weather. We always take along a small cooler full of ice & facecloths to soccer matches when the temp is approaching 30C)
  • dynamojones
    Options
    Try talking a cooler shower, cold even after a run.
  • icericcy
    icericcy Posts: 4
    Options
    Easiest and best way. After you finish your work out. Dont hit the shower just yet. Go take a glass of water (gyms serve free cold water no?) and sit down for 5-10 minutes. Let your body recover from the workout. Then hit the shower, not to hot.