Need help choosing an HRM

Options
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to get myself an HRM to track my exercise output more accurately, but I'm utterly bamboozled as to what to get/what is most accurate, etc.
I'm a poor student so I have a very tight budget to work with.

Any help is much appreciated!

Kikii.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Any one of the Polar FT models will serve i terms of accuracy etc. The FT4 and FT7 are both pretty affordable (check amazon & ebay)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Forget the Polars. Its costly to replace the battery. I bought a Timex Fitness HRM off ebay for a little less than $50 over a year ago. Haven't had to change the battery once yet and I use it everyday and it is very accurate.

And when you do need to replace the battery, it's those cheap $5 ones you can do yourself.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4 and I love it so far.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Forget the Polars. Its costly to replace the battery. I bought a Timex Fitness HRM off ebay for a little less than $50 over a year ago. Haven't had to change the battery once yet and I use it everyday and it is very accurate.

And when you do need to replace the battery, it's those cheap $5 ones you can do yourself.

This info is wrong. All the new Polars (FT series)you can buy a battery and change your self.. and BTW, your Timex is not accurate. They are one of the worst at estimating calories burned.

To OP:
    Personally I'd go with Polar... FT4, FT7, FT40 or FT60. I'd stay away from Timex as they overestimate calories burned in my experience.

If you do choose to go with something else, make sure it has a chest strap and takes all info.. The ones that don't are not going to be accurate.
  • kettle_belle83
    kettle_belle83 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a Polar FT7. I love it so far!!! And yes, you can replace the battery yourself. It seems to be very accurate in terms of measuring calories burned.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    Polar FT4
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I recommend a low-level Polar HRM. It's true that in the past it was virtually impossible to change the battery, but I hear they've fixed that. I've always had Polars. If you're small, get the small chest strap.

I think you will get valuable feedback from your HRM. I don't use it to calculate exercise calories because there are too many variables. But it does help me see how hard I'm working out. If I'm doing intervals, I may push myself for 30 seconds to a minute and then wait for my heart rate to come down to a certain level before pushing it up again.
  • CaliGirl313
    CaliGirl313 Posts: 102
    Options
    Polar FT4 and it's cute and pink!