Loose & Lose

Options
SkinnyRuthy
SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
Since we're on a weight loss website, I thought I would point this out. This word ----> LOOSE = when something does not fit tightly as in "my pants are so loose they are falling down." This word ----> LOSE = when you rid yourself of something such as "I lost 6lbs." I know I'm being nit-picky and that I make lots and lots of grammatical errors and I may even make this particular grammatical error, but it drives me absolutely bonkers when people say "I need to loose 10lbs" or "My pants are really lose".
Also, the word "loosing" is not a word. The word "losing" is!!!

Hope this helps!
Seriously though---good luck on your "wait loose jurknee!!!" I mean.... weight loss journey... 'scuse me...

Replies

• LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    loose-lose.jpg
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    loose-lose.jpg

LOL!!! Thank you!! :bigsmile:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    So this doesn't have to be posted EVER again... I thought this chart might be helpful...perhaps even posted at the top of the forums

158400111863981997_jK1qcVwt_c.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel superior now. Congratulations!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    My post, as helpful as the picture is, is pretty much sarcasm.... this topic gets at least posted once a week. :indifferent: Gets old. Get over that people can't spell... ! :tongue:
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    Great chart! :) Unfortunately, I don't read every single forum nor am I on forums daily, but obviously it's been pointed out before.

My Mama was always on us about our English at home and I'm the same way with my kiddos. I keep mixing up my "to" and "too" lately and it drives me nuts because I KNOW which one I'm supposed to use and where. LOL :)

Totally silly topic, but yea... it was kinda making me bonkers :grumble:
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This mistake drives me crazy!

And thank you so much to the person who posted the wonderful image! I am a teacher and I can't wait to share this with my students!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    514_400x400_NoPeel.jpg?region=name:FrontCenter,id:50185597,w:16
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone else noticed that and finally said something. Two many times I've noticed people confusing those too words, to.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    Bump for my sanity.
  • RachelDenise30
    RachelDenise30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was just ranting about this the other night on my page. Drives me bonkers!! Then my friends we joking and said "Don't loose sleep over it"
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I feel that this thread will be the one that stops the misspellings on MFP :drinker:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ^ I sure hope so and hope it spawns a video that goes viral and ends this bane of my existence once and for all...before I loose my mind, I can already feel a screw is coming lose!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    ^ I sure hope so and hope it spawns a video that goes viral and ends this bane of my existence once and for all...before I loose my mind, I can already feel a screw is coming lose!

I see what you did there :laugh:

Dare to dream, dare to dream....
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel superior now. Congratulations!
    :drinker: LOL
    OP, many of us are here to whom English is part of a colonial past,useful but not really the Mother tongue! we don't think in English:huh:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    OK...YOU maybe New or something, but this has been done to death. In fact, as a result of "retentive" spellin and gramour police, this Site has a rule against corecting people's spelin and gramour. Everrybodi do not come from the same countries or even the same parts of the USA or have the same education! Anyway, it just shows how closed minded someone can be to think that someone from France or Egypt or Iran or Cali or NY really cares about the extra o when MOST people don't even know the difference between your and you're or there and their and they're. So be "nice" OK...can you speak or write a different language well enough to go on foreign countries websites. Yeah, just what I thought.
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    They're, their, there; your, you're; then, than. Learn the difference!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    OK...YOU maybe New or something, but this has been done to death. In fact, as a result of "retentive" spellin and gramour police, this Site has a rule against corecting people's spelin and gramour. Everrybodi do not come from the same countries or even the same parts of the USA or have the same education! Anyway, it just shows how closed minded someone can be to think that someone from France or Egypt or Iran or Cali or NY really cares about the extra o when MOST people don't even know the difference between your and you're or there and their and they're. So be "nice" OK...can you speak or write a different language well enough to go on foreign countries websites. Yeah, just what I thought.

Interesting enough people who know English as a second language are statistically better with grammar than most people who are native to English speaking countries such as the United States. Which is sad actually...