Excess Skin

Options
2»

Replies

• adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you have enough excess skin, the procedure to have it removed can be covered by insurance.

Not typically. It is VERY difficult to get this type of operation approved by insurance - they usually require proof of other detrimental health impacts (such as rashes/sores, etc.).

Short answer to your question (though it has been answered numerous times) is - yes, if you lose that much weight, you'll have excess skin.
  • genablue
    genablue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a question...?

I have read that losing the weight slowly will mean less loose skin. Does that mean that losing it faster actually PREVENTS the skin from "bouncing back" as well, or does it just mean the body needs more time to "catch up" with the weight loss? In other words, will my body look the same at the end of 2 years regardless of whether I lose it in 1 year or 2?

I don't feel like I'm explaining it (my question) quite right. Hopefully y'all know what I'm trying to say. :)
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Generally if you're loosing weight slowly and in a healthy way you shouldn't have that much of a problem with too much skin.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    If you have enough excess skin, the procedure to have it removed can be covered by insurance.

Not typically. It is VERY difficult to get this type of operation approved by insurance - they usually require proof of other detrimental health impacts (such as rashes/sores, etc.).

Short answer to your question (though it has been answered numerous times) is - yes, if you lose that much weight, you'll have excess skin.

My friend is a surgery scheduler and sees this type of surgery scheduled quite often and believe it or not, it's not only covered by insurance, but also by government insurance programs. It may just be Ohio though...
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have lost 58lbs and I have some loose skin on the belly and back. I find that if I loofa and use cocoa butter creme that my skin is quicker to rejuvenate. I also use Vitamin E oil on my stretch marks. The results are not immediate, but I can see a difference. Also, no smoking! Smoking and skin do not mix!
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

My friend is a surgery scheduler and sees this type of surgery scheduled quite often and believe it or not, it's not only covered by insurance, but also by government insurance programs. It may just be Ohio though...

I know someone here in Michigan that just had this procedure performed, on belly and arms, and it was covered by insurance. She lost under 100lbs too. Just depends I guess, or maybe the insurance companies are so happy that we won't be costing them millions in doctor visits and therapies later in life that they gladly pay for the procedure since we lost the weight, :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!