BMR Concern

Options
I was recently told about BMR and my BMR is 1523.35 according to a website that just calculated it. Then I continued to calculate how many calories I could have a day based on that and it was 2,360. Isn't that a little much?? MFP is telling me to have 1460 a day and that's what I've been trying to do. Help?

Replies

• Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am totally confused as well even though I've been doing this for a while. I lost 5 lbs and I'm getting closer to my goal weight and I think I'm getting confused about how much I should really be eating.

My BMR was calculated at 1536 and I changed my activity level on MFP to "lightly active" and now by daily requirement is 1540. So, in order to lose weight should I only be eating my BMR calories and nothing above that?

I know that so many people have already asked about this but it's quite confusing. I feel like school systems should start a "weight loss" class because there's a lot more science to this than I thought.
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You BMR is the amount of calories your body burns just to function. It varies for everyone depending on height, weight, and age. It's what you would burn if you were in a coma. A more useful number is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or TDEE. This is how many calories you burn going about your daily life. For sedentary people, it is generally 1.2 times your BMR. For very active people, it is more. Your TDEE is how many calories you need to eat in order to maintain your current weight at your current level of activity. For losing 1 pound a week, subtract 500 calories from your TDEE to get your daily calorie goal.

So, Rosered, MFP said your BMR is 1536. If you are set to lightly active it will give you more calories. THEN, it subtracts calories to create a deficit. So, it's not that it's telling you to eat your BMR. It just that your TDEE + deficit happens to be close to your BMR.

jb06592, 2360 does seem like a lot if your BMR is 1500. Are you very active? The more active you are the more calories you need. I would recommend raising your calorie goal to at least your BMR, although eating 1460 is probably fine.

*I am not a nutrition expert
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Did this other website factor in how much exercise you're doing?
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You BMR is the amount of calories your body burns just to function. It varies for everyone depending on height, weight, and age. It's what you would burn if you were in a coma. A more useful number is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or TDEE. This is how many calories you burn going about your daily life. For sedentary people, it is generally 1.2 times your BMR. For very active people, it is more. Your TDEE is how many calories you need to eat in order to maintain your current weight at your current level of activity. For losing 1 pound a week, subtract 500 calories from your TDEE to get your daily calorie goal.

So, Rosered, MFP said your BMR is 1536. If you are set to lightly active it will give you more calories. THEN, it subtracts calories to create a deficit. So, it's not that it's telling you to eat your BMR. It just that your TDEE + deficit happens to be close to your BMR.

jb06592, 2360 does seem like a lot if your BMR is 1500. Are you very active? The more active you are the more calories you need. I would recommend raising your calorie goal to at least your BMR, although eating 1460 is probably fine.

*I am not a nutrition expert

That makes sense. I just haven't looked at these numbers since I lost a little weight and I found myself very confused. Thank you so much for your help!