those looking to lose weight mainly lifting

hello,

I have recently switched up my routine (just started, so no results to mention good or bad) to eating more, ~2700 cals/day (I'm 6 foot 4, 295+/- lbs), doing a 3 day lifting split, 1 day rest between, and then I do HIIT on monday nights.

that said, my goal is to lose 86 lbs, lower my bf to about 15%, and develop a nice little body.

can this be achieved from DAY 1? or is it recommended, for quicker fat loss, I stick to a mainly HIIT-based plan with lower calorie diet to lose the weight faster, and then incorporate more strength training later on?

thoughts or suggestions appreciated

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    bump
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Lift now.
  • Jackdog89
    Jackdog89 Posts: 57 Member
    Lift now.

Agreed, a combination of weight lifting and cardio is better than doing solely one or the other. You will lose weight if you do both. I've lost 11 lbs while gaining muscle mass.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Your plan sounds good. Start lifting now. Get ripped.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    I have chosen to lose weight while lifting and dont do as mush cardio as I should. It will take you more time to see progress weight wise but just be patient. I have been lifting 3-6 times per week for about 9 months and there is a noticable difference in my physique and waistline.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Oh, and from looking at your diary, you'll want to up your protein intake to at least 200g a day. You're a big boy, you need that. It'll help with the weight loss, too.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will loose weight. I started lifting and cardio 8 months ago and lost a pound per week. It is very slow but I was not in a big hurry. Now I am trying to loose it a little faster because I am close to my goal. Once I reach my goal I plan to increase calories to a slight surplus so I can put on more muscle.

If you think you are just going to loose weight because you started lifting you may be disappointed if you dont also make your diet a priority (which it looks like you are already doing).
  • kealambert
    Oh, and from looking at your diary, you'll want to up your protein intake to at least 200g a day. You're a big boy, you need that. It'll help with the weight loss, too.

thanks, will do
  • kealambert
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will loose weight. I started lifting and cardio 8 months ago and lost a pound per week. It is very slow but I was not in a big hurry. Now I am trying to loose it a little faster because I am close to my goal. Once I reach my goal I plan to increase calories to a slight surplus so I can put on more muscle.

If you think you are just going to loose weight because you started lifting you may be disappointed if you dont also make your diet a priority (which it looks like you are already doing).

diet is goal 1. previous weight loss has been achieved when I at wisely. i had stopped doing that, but had been able to maintain with my lifting routine. of course, time catches up to you, and so does your metabolism.

anyway, thanks for the feedback
  • kealambert
    ok, cool, I enjoy lifting, hate virtually all cardio that isn't playing sports, it's boring to me. if lifting can get the results from the very start, I'll stay the course.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Do you already have a good base for building more muscle or are you just getting started as in, never lifted a day in your life?
  • kealambert
    Do you already have a good base for building more muscle or are you just getting started as in, never lifted a day in your life?

I have lifted before. it's just been a few years since it was a regular activity for me
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229

Agree with his post... I only do 10 minutes of cardio as a warm up and cool down for my heart and l have lost 250 lbs.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    I also agree but I do about 20 minutes of very intense (for me anyways) cardio/conditioning about 4 days a week. I think keeping heart and lungs strong actually helps with lifting and recovery.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    When i lift, i do it like cardio. i can't stand on a treadmill for an hour, can't do it

Example:
    Last night was back and bi's
    Back:
    Chins/Deadlifts/CG pulldowns/db rows, all performed in the 8-10 rep range, all in a row, so 40ish reps in a row, no rest.
    repeat this 4 times

Same for Bi's
    BB curls/reverse curls/cable curls/hanging curls same deal

heart rate stays up, and goes as high as when you sprint at times..............i have been working out like this for a while, and I have been enjoying it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member

I have lifted before. it's just been a few years since it was a regular activity for me

Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength are the only 2 programs i'll suggest to you.
    Youll probably be spinning your wheels on a 3day split this early in the game.

Get up to about your bodyweight on the bar for your Deads and Squats then start adding in a little accessory work if you need it.
    Chances are you wont for a long time.

Hell, i'd rather have 3 days in the gym instead of 5-6.