MFP- Runner's Club May 23rd

Options
Hi there guys,
I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend. Do you guys have any runs planned for the day? I got really sunburned yesterday but I woke up this morning and ran 5 miles. I struggled a little bit towards the end but then kicked it back up a notch and had a total time of 45 minutes. I am happy with that pace, especially if I can keep gradually increasing my longer runs. You all continue to inspire me and I love our MFP runner's club posts!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I plan on going out to do about 4, marathon in 1 week and 1 day!!!!! Happy Running everyone :happy: :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    whew girl, you are my hero!!! awesome job!!!
    can't wait to hear how the marathon goes.
    I plan on going out to do about 4, marathon in 1 week and 1 day!!!!! Happy Running everyone :happy: :happy:

• shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    Options
    Hi there!

I love to run too. I'm not a marathoner by any means but usually run 3-4 times per week. Usually about 5K each run. I was wondering if I could join your group?

I do have a question for you experts!!!

What is the best thing to eat before a run? Even if it is only 5K? I should mention that 5K is a pretty good workout for me!! LOL!!

Thanks!!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    5k is an AWESOME workout!!! So glad to have you join us, these threads just really help to motivate and encourage one another, it's great :flowerforyou:
    I'll leave the nutrition question for our expert runners, I typically don't eat much before I run but I eat a big breakfast afterwards and I am still trying to learn what to re-fuel my body with :wink:
  • shagybear33
    Options
    Thanks sooo much!! I can't wait to chat with other runners!! I live in a small town and there's not a very big running community! Actually there's only about 3 of us who run regularly!! Hahaha!!

I'm sooo excited! :happy:
  • VballLeash
    Options
    whew girl, you are my hero!!! awesome job!!!
    can't wait to hear how the marathon goes.

haha Thanks!!! I hope I can do it, I've been having knee problems the last week so keep your fingers crossed! :happy:

• VballLeash
    Options
    Hi there!

I love to run too. I'm not a marathoner by any means but usually run 3-4 times per week. Usually about 5K each run. I was wondering if I could join your group?

What is the best thing to eat before a run? Even if it is only 5K? I should mention that 5K is a pretty good workout for me!! LOL!!

Thanks!!

I usually eat an english muffin with some peanut butter but only if I have time to digest otherwise I'll just have a few wheat crackers with peanut butter or a half of a banana, I eat the other half when I get back, make sure you drink some water too!

Leash :heart:
  • puppylove84
    puppylove84 Posts: 38
    Options
    got in just over 6 miles this morning... I don't even want to think about how early I got up to do it :grumble: it was totally worth it though!

as for eating before my runs, I usually stick with a whey or soy protein shake (oh and coffee :drinker:)eating before a run tends to slow me down, but I need *something* for energy :flowerforyou:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Ran my 5k road race this morning. I ran with my friend and she's not really been running lately. We were on a 10 min/mi pace, and then at the end of it she was like, "Go on...really, it's okay!" So, I picked up the pace a little and finished at 29 minutes. But it was really fun!
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Just finished 12 this morning. Last long run before the 20K next weekend. I've been struggling with my WOs all week, but today went pretty well. My goal this week is the right fuel, plenty of liquids, and lots of rest so I can kick it next week.

I like to eat half a banana before a run. I am bad about drinking-I prefer to have dry britches when I'm done :blushing: :embarassed:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Thanks!!
    I usually run before work / breakfast, so I don't have a lot of time to digest before my run. Any rununder an hour, I usually only have a glass of water or Gatorade, depending on how long I plan on running, how I feel, weather conditions, etc. Longer runs, I may have a slice of toast or a couple of toaster waffles, anything that is not going to sit too heavy while you're trying to log some miles. I may carry a sports gel or two for my extra long runs, especially when it's hot.

Got my 7.25 mile route in this morning.
  • natalie523
    natalie523 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi I am new here, I posted my first post a few days ago. I am not new to running though...got in 8.25 this morning. It was a good run and now I am off to enjoy my Saturday....I hope everyone had a great day!
    Natalie
  • shagybear33
    Options
    Hey!!

I ended up having 1 slice of the Body Conscious high fibre bread and 1 tbsp of peanut butter!!

My normal route is 5.13K. Today was my best run on it. Took me 33:03 to complete. Apparently the pre-workout meal helped!! :laugh:

I'm a bit tired, but feel awesome!!

Great work to everyone else who ran today! Talk about keeping me motivated!! THANKS!!!

Have a great day!!!
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here, too (I had joined with another email a few months ago, but never used the site). I'm a new runner and for the last two weeks have run between 3-4 miles every other day. I "jogged" my first 5K race and am now training for a sprint triathlon in August.

I revisited this site with the determination to use it this time b/c after running 3 miles every other day for two weeks I haven't lost a pound. So, calorie counting it is as I need to get my nutrition in check!

Lesli
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Shaggybear, we are pretty even as far as distance and time!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I planned on running 6 miles today, but I think I actually ran closer to 7 (I'm about to hop in the car and see exactly how far I ran) however far it was, I ran it in 63 minutes!

As far as eating, I'm kinda the same as Runnerdad - anything under an hour I dont eat until after, but if I'm going on a long run, or doing a race- I'll eat something small - toast w/PB or 1/2 a banana- about 30 - 45 minutes before I go out.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am divorced so I have the kids last night and today so I didnt get a run in. We did go to the pool and I tried to do some excercise/streches while I was there. I will be running tomorrow.