Couponers How do you do it?

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
I have recently started couponing (yes I am using it as a verb lol) and WOWEEE what a difference. Now I look at coupons like cash money baby. I was confused at first as to how to best use the coupons and not buy things I didn't need just because I had a coupon for them or get too much and end up wasting. What I have come up with so far is to use my coupons to buy what's on sale that week (double savings YAY!) Then I take inventory of what I have, create a weekly dinner plan, and lunch plan with the left over ingredients from dinner (say I only need a half can of beans for that recipe, I put the rest in my Tuna for lunch) Then look at any extra ingredients in my dinner plan and see if I can sub them for stuff I already have and if not I pick up the rest of the ingredients at the store that week. Anyone do this, or do something slightly different that might be more effective. I am trying to lower my costs as much as possible and waste as little food as possible. Thanks!!!

Replies

• healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I do :) my food/household budget was about 250 a week cut it back to 150 plus get WAY more stuff than before

thekrazycouponlady.com <
    coupon bible LOL
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    Where do you usually get your coupons? Newspaper? Online? I want to start as well. My husband is in med school and it would be nice to lower our grocery bill!
  • briteyes1002
    briteyes1002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I use.. livingrichwithcoupons.com

also couponmom.com both really good comparable sights..

I do AWESOME at the drugstores... Most the time I walk out with $40-$100 worth of free stuff.
  • TorridSkies4
    Options
    bump
  • TracyTucci
    Options
    Bump

I have tried to coupon, but have not got the hang of it yet.
    Would love to learn to save!! Because i love to spend!!
  • DarlingThief
    DarlingThief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bumpy!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    You're off to a great start. Take a look at the various grocery and drugstores you have available in your area and start learning the various coupon policies for them (you'll be amazed how much policies can differ from store-to-store). If you have any of the big drugstores in your area (CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens) start studying up on their rewards programs (CVS has 'extrabucks', Rite-Aid has 'up rewards', and Walgreens has 'register rewards') - you can stock up on health, beauty, and hygeine items super-cheap, free, or even them paying you to take them out of the store with those rewards systems. But they can be quite complicated for newbies to read up and ask lots of questions.

A couple of forums I like:

www.afullcup.com
    www.hotcouponworld.com

What area are you in? Some grocery stores in some regions will double or even triple coupons - we just had a Triple Coupon event (any coupon under $0.99 tripled in value at the register) at one of my local grocery stores and I got some great deals. :-) We don't get Triples as often as we used to, usually it's Super Doubles (coupons up to $1.99 doubling in value at the register).
  • Mera_Mera
    Mera_Mera Posts: 153
    Options
    Interesting.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    I buy 2-3 of the Sunday paper depending on the coupons

http://www.sundaycouponpreview.com/

I personally love Rite Aid and do extremely well there .... shop rite is also a new favorite
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Where do you usually get your coupons? Newspaper? Online? I want to start as well. My husband is in med school and it would be nice to lower our grocery bill!

Purchase a couple of Sunday papers, check to be sure the coupon inserts are in there first b/c sometimes there are no coupons on certain holiday weekends and sometimes people steal the coupons right out of the paper.

Printable coupon websites:

www.coupons.com
    www.smartsource.com
    www.redplum.com
    www.couponnetwork.com (also lists 'catalina deals' which are rewards you get back at the register for purchasing items during a promotional period)
    www.target.com (scroll to the bottom and click on 'coupons' - some are Target store coupons and some are manufacturer's coupons that can be used anywhere)
    www.bettycrocker.com

Also check individual manufacturer's websites and their Facebook pages as they will often offer coupons that you can print if you 'like' their page.

Some stores also put out coupons - Rite-Aid has coupons in the flyer each week, so does Walgreens, and Walgreens has a monthly coupon book and sometimes specialized seasonal coupon booklets for things like beauty and allergy products. Always keep your eyes open in whatever store you're in, sometimes there are displays with coupon booklets and sometimes there are machines that will dispense coupons (often referred to as 'blinkies' b/c of the blinking light on the machine).
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    oh and I dont use a binder I use an index card box ... I find it easier to organize and put it right in the shopping cart ....

I have everything color coded and labeled
  • briteyes1002
    Options
    I usually buy 5-10 sunday papers at the Dollar Tree every week.

I am also know do go dumpster diving a time or two :blushing:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    oh and I dont use a binder I use an index card box ... I find it easier to organize and put it right in the shopping cart ....

I have everything color coded and labeled

I had an impressive coupon binder before I had my first baby. I discovered the whole couponing thing when I was still pregnant with him, got really good at it had the binder and everything. Then he was born, I didn't touch it for a couple of months, everything expired and I simply did not have time to keep up with it anymore. Now I have several of the little 'accordion files' - one for CVS, one for Rite-Aid, one for grocery stores. I clip out only the coupons I'm fairly certain I will use soon and then I file away the rest of the inserts so I can go back and easily find and clip those coupons if a good deal comes up. Takes a lot less time than I was spending back when I was clipping every single coupon and filing it in that binder.
  • arobinson2390
    Options
    bump !
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Also, take a look in your fridge and pantry and contact some of the companies of the items your family uses on a regular basis. Often if you contact them (phone or email) and comment on how much you like the product, they will mail you some coupons for your feedback.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • kriztyn723
    Options
    bump
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    Also, I don't know why I never thought of checking before, but there are a couple of Couponing Groups here on MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?phrase=coupon&order=0

I'm going to go ahead and join them myself. :-)
  • briteyes1002
    Options
    I do have a very complexed coupon binder... Its very organized and its updated every week.. Couponing is fun and rewarding but also can take a lot of effort..

I will try and post some of my couponing pictures of what I was able to get and for how much.
  • jessicaacampbell1
    jessicaacampbell1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I usually buy 5-10 sunday papers at the Dollar Tree every week.

I am also know do go dumpster diving a time or two :blushing:

My sister and I have dumpster dove for coupons, it's work it! Our biggest purchase was $400 worth of groceries for $40. It takes time and lots of patience but the reward it sweet.