I'm Scared!! Increasing calories TOO FAST??

Options
I'm planning to increase my calories, do I have to do it slowly, over a few weeks? I am already anticipating a little weight gain at first, but I didn't know if I should jump from 1200 to 1600 (where I want to be, now) all at once....

I've been restricting my calories to netting 1200 a day, and sometimes, wouldn't even eat back my exercise calories (I know, I know, I know!). I exersize pretty intensely, and am a strength-training junkie. Now, I'm finally brave enough to increase my caloric intake from 1200, and vow to eat back ALL my exercise calories!

Current Weight: 135lbs
Goal Weight: 127lbs
Exercise: Spinning (3-4 days a week), Running (3 days a week), P90X (everyday)

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    It kind of depends on how long you've been eating low. If it's been awhile, the suggestion is to up your calories about 200 for the first week or two, then bump up again. I read that's its a good idea to have those extra calories in the form of a 150-200 calorie protein bar or snack after you work out (since you're a strength-training junkie) as you're already in fat burning mode, and your body really needs the energy at that point anyway. Another sensible suggestion I've seen is to ignore the scale for the first couple of weeks, as it's not uncommon to put a pound or two of water weight on when you first start bumping up, which scares the heck out of a lot of people. Plus, if you haven't already done it, might be a good time to reset MFP to to 1/2 pound loss a week - since you're getting close, you might want to increase those calories a little more to get closer to your final goal's maintenance calories. Good luck to you!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to increase my calories, do I have to do it slowly, over a few weeks? I am already anticipating a little weight gain at first, but I didn't know if I should jump from 1200 to 1600 (where I want to be, now) all at once....

I've been restricting my calories to netting 1200 a day, and sometimes, wouldn't even eat back my exercise calories (I know, I know, I know!). I exersize pretty intensely, and am a strength-training junkie. Now, I'm finally brave enough to increase my caloric intake from 1200, and vow to eat back ALL my exercise calories!

Current Weight: 135lbs
    Goal Weight: 127lbs
    Exercise: Spinning (3-4 days a week), Running (3 days a week), P90X (everyday)

Personally, I would do it bit by bit, that way if you find a sudden increase you can sort out what you want to do at that point.